Does my weight or BMI prevent me from getting breast augmentation?

I am 5'7 and weigh 275lbs. I had a tummy tuck and lipo a year ago but gained about 20lbs since. I am currently taking phentermine 37.5 to help loose some weight. I would like to get a breast augmentation but am concerned that my weight or BMI might prevent me from doing so.

BMI and cosmetic surgery

Thank you for your question.  With regard to this question, there are a few aspects to be evaluated.  Safety is certainly the most important consideration.  Safety with the surgery itself but also with anesthesia.  As the BMI rises, there is greater risk with anesthesia and narcotic use in the post operative period.  Additional concerns are around the cosmetic result and whether this can be improved with weight loss.  Best advice is to seek out a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can help guide you in a safe and effective manner.  

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

BMI

Every doctor will have a slightly different protocol based on their beliefs and experiences. I recommend that my patients have a BMI of 30 or less to have the best and safest results. If your BMI is higher than that I would recommend getting it down to at least 30 because anything above 30 is considered in the obese range which isn’t optimal for undergoing elective cosmetic surgery and it puts you at a higher risk of delayed healing. I also recommend that my patients remain at their goal weight for at least 6 months before having surgery done for optimal results because weight fluctuation can cause a change in your results.  It is important to remember to live a healthy, balanced lifestyle through diet and exercise, even after surgery for best results and to reduce your chance of health related issues. I hope this helps. Best of luck in your endeavors!

Sincerely,
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

I am 5'7 and weigh 275lbs. I had a tummy tuck and lipo a year ago but gained about 20lbs since. I am currently taking phentermin

BMI will not prevent you from having breast augmentation. However, losing as much weight as possible until you are as close to your ideal body weight will allow you to have the best result possible. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Weight, BMI and breast implants

Thank you for checking. A higher than desired BMI can increase risks of complications with any cosmetic surgery- healing, deep blood clots, etc. These additional risks should be carefully discussed. In addition, if you are losing weight you may wish to delay breast augmentation surgery until after your BMI is improved/stable to help maximize your cosmetic results! See a board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes,

Dr. David Yao

Thank you for your question.  It is best to have a BMI of 30 or less to undergo elective cosmetic surgery.  Having a higher BMI can increase her chance of complications by about 20%.  I understand it is hard but I would suggest that you attempt to get your BMI 30 or below and get within 5-10 pounds of your goal weight for the best result.

Weight or BMI effect surgery

Thank you for your question.  As long as you're healthy enough to undergo surgery your weight and BMI would not prevent you from having surgery, however, being at a BMI of 30 or less greatly reduces your risk of complication (by 20%) and will likely give you a better cosmetic outcome.  I typically recommend that my patients be at a BMI 35 or less depending on the surgery and can not be on any weight loss drugs 2 weeks prior to surgery.  Continue your weight loss journey to get your best results from cosmetic surgery.

Best Wishes!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

I'm sure you can find a surgeon to do that surgery since someone did an abdominoplasty for you when the majority of experienced surgeons would decline since you cannot get the result most of us want for our patients on a subject with that high of a BMI. Also that BMI puts you at excessive risk for surgery and good plastic surgeons want to keep their patients safe. I hope you pursue your weight loss plans and use the Breast Augment as a reward for yourself when you get to a safe weight. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Weight and BMI

It would be best to see your plastic surgeon to determine if they feel you're fit for surgery or not. Your BMI is very high for surgery but since this surgery is a fairly quick surgery you may still be a candidate. If you plan on losing a significant amount of weight, it is always suggest to do it prior to a breast augmentation. It would be suggested to lose weight if possible as it will make any surgery you decide to have done safer for you. Ultimately the goal is to maintain your safety. 

Mahmood Kara, MD

Weight

Everybody has their own criteria. IMO, you are too heavy for a breast augmentation. The implants would not 'show' through. The surgery is much more difficult and costs more due to the extra time required. The results are also less desirable because the implants aren't really able give the shape/volume that you want them to. You would be much better served to lose the weight first, get to a BMI of less than 30, and then have your surgery. You will be much happier with the results. 

Best. 

Kirk Moore, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon