I'm 34 & Lost volume on the sides of my face. I want volume added below my cheek toward my ear where it's flat! Any suggestions?

Doctor Answers 10

Volume loss in cheeks

The treatment I recommend often depends on the amount of volume loss present, whether there is fat loss, bone loss, or both. Fillers can be helpful to revolumize the mid cheek and lower cheek area. Juvederm Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler that has a firm consistency and has been recently approved for use in the mid cheek area of the face. It helps to lift and add volume. Radiesse is also a thicker product that is made of calcium hydroxylapatite in a gel base, this can also be used in the mid cheek area. If you need volume replacement in multiple areas, particularly in the lower cheeks, Sculptra is another good option. Sculptra is a bio-stimulatory filler that stimulates your own collagen production. Sculptra produces more of a gradual change and you will see results over the course of 2-3 months rather than right away. Ask your doctor which filler is right for you! 
Good luck! 

Stuart Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Fillers at sides of face

if you are deficient in fullness at the sides of your face, there are several fillers that can be used to enhance volume in this area.  Your physician might consider Radiesse and/or Voluma, and even Sculptra if you like the results with one of these fillers for more long-lasting results.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Options for facial volumizing

Revolumizing the mid and later facial areas can be accomplished using fat transfer, which I prefer most often. Other options include injectable fillers, including a newer, longer lasting HA filler called Voluma, which is similar to regular Juvederm XC. Sometimes a combination of fillers is best. Finally a series of Sculptra injections, which stimulate the production of your own collagen, can be performed. I would discuss these with a facial plastic surgeon in consultation.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Volume loss in face

There are many ways to treat facial volume loss and deciding on the best treatment depends on how much volume is lost and how long you are willing to wait for treatment to be complete. Budget also plays a part. If you have lost a lot of volume I would recommend Sculptra. See a dermatologist or plastic surgeon that is experienced in fillers

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Volume Options

There are a variety of options for volumetric enhancement of facial features. Some are temporary, and others permanent.  I'd recommend seeing a surgeon that specializes in plastic surgery of the face so you can discuss the pros and cons of each option.


Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Volume in face

Volume can be added best with fat or with filler products. It really depends upon how much you need and what your goals are.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Volume loss cheeks etc.

Volume loss cheeks etc. is corrected in the young with Voluma. This will raise those areas and lasts 2 years. 

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Preferred Injection Products in the Cheeks

Hi Tanner.  We use several different products in the cheeks to add back volume where it has been lost.  Restylane, Perlane, Radiesse and Sculptra are all products we use in the cheeks.  We prefer to use thick products like Perlane and Radiesse for immediate volume and longer term collagen stimulation with Sculptra (takes 6-9 months for full results, but lasts up to 2 years).

We normally only use Restylane when a patient is combining the cheeks with other areas like the lips or tear trough (under the eyes).

Hope this helps.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Volume loss

There are many products that can replace facial volume loss. Fillers, particularly the hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm/Perlane/Voluma, work well to replace volume. Since you are young you should get nice volume replacement with less filler. I have found Sculptra to work very well for overall volume replacement and it is effective in treating the "flat" area in front of your ear. Sculptra is a volumizer, not a filler, and works by inducing your skin to produce more of its own collagen. The results are very natural and last over 2 years. You have many options but make sure you consult with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is very experienced in these injectables. Best wishes.

Kristin Baird, MD
Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Facial volume loss

Depending on your facial features and anatomy, you may be a candidate for a variety of methods to provide additional volume to your face including hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm Voluma or other non-hyaluronic acid based products like Radiesse or Sculptra. Alternatively, fat grafting to provide additional volume can also provide a very nice, natural result. I would recommend seeking out a consultation with a qualified board certified provider to discuss treatment options that would best address your concerns. Good luck!

Sachin S. Pawar, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.