Ms Neanderthal after Botulintoxin overdose; is botox just not for me? (Photos)

Dear doctors, I'm 43 and wanted to do something for myself to help me age gracefully. I have given my doctor, (board-certified) several chances to 'get it right'. I requested treatment of crowsfeet and glabellar lines and a slight relaxation of forehead lines. However; everytime after I've been treated, I look like a Neanderthal with a low forehead and brows. Is it my facial anatomy that is the problem or my doctor?!! Is botox just not for me? Can anything be done to counteract this odd look?

Botox and the brow.

Botox is right for you but it needs to be used judiciously to give you a brow lift.  Too much Botox in the forehead gives you a heavy brow that is ok in men but not women.

Cedar Park Family Physician

Brow drop after botox

It certainly looks as if yoiu have a smoothing result from on the Glabella.  It is the forehead dose that is causing the drop.  My suggestion is that next time only do the Glabella and not the forehead then go back in a couple weeks and have a minimal amount of Botox placed high on the forehead jus below the hairline.  This is likely to prevent too much relaxation to the forehead muscles (frontalis) yet give you some relief from the lines.  

Dr. ODell

Botulintoxin Overdose: Botox, Xeomin, Dysport Wears Off / Seek An Expert Injector

Unfortunately, this sounds like an injector error. You will probably need to wait until the Botox wears off within the next three to four months. You can use this time to find a more expert injector for your next treatment. Good luck. Best, Dr. Emer

Brow Drop After Botox

Either you were given too much Botox to your forehead or the placement was too low causing your brows to drop. Fortunately, things will go back to the way they were before once the Botox wears off in 3-4 months. Make sure you find an experienced injector next time.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Neanderthal brows after Botox

There is no problem with treating the glabellar lines and crows feet. It is the forehead lines that can be problematic. If you have brow or forehead sagging to start with and the forehead lines are a result of compensating for that, it is difficult to use Botox to treat the forehead lines without risking accentuation of the brow droop. Sure there are things we can try like be conservative with the dosing, placing it higher or in a V pattern to leave part of the frontalis muscle untreated... In the end, you should consider an endoscopic forehead lift which should take care of the problem once and for all.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Forgo treatment of the forehead lines

Your pretreatment photos do not look bad.  In view of your results, you might want to request that the injections focus only on the glabella and crows feet.  If everything in the forehead has fallen and you've lost elevation of your brows, you may not want to have the forehead lines injected.  If you are not happy with your current results, its best to seek the opinion of another injector.  Luckily, the effects of this injection will wear off with time.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hooding after Botox every time in forehead.

I think that there is too much Botox in the forehead or not properly placed. To get complete immobilization of the forehead might not be the best for you because you need the muscles to lift the brows. I would try another physician in the future and explain the problems you have had. Sometimes this problem can be corrected with lifting the brows with Botox. The frontalis is the only muscle which lifts the brows and if over treated, the brows will fall invariably. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Droopy Brow after Botox

I would suggest that you hold off on the forehead injections next time and go a little less around the eyes.  Proper placement of the glabellar injections should actually give you and eyebrow lift.  Sounds like you might want to try another doctor with a lot of experience in this area.  It is an art-form.

Gregory Pistone, MD
Cherry Hill Dermatologist

Brow droop

That is almost always avoidable.  I agree with the other suggestions, find another injector.  Botox injected in heavy doses and/or too low on the forehead can result in an eyebrow droop or sometimes worse an eyelid droop.  When that happens, you have 2 options - a skilled injector can lift the eyebrows with a few units in the right spot, or wait a few weeks and it will resolve on its own.  Try someone else and make sure they have a lot of experience and happy clientele.

Adam Gropper, MD
Aventura Radiologist

Botox overdose

First of all, you do not look like a neanderthal, you are beautiful with lovely features!  I do see that your brow has dropped however.Unfortunately, there is a balance with injecting botox that not everyone understands.  The injection is done into the frontalis muscle of the forehead, which is the muscle that lifts up the brows.  If this muscle is completely paralyzed, the brow will drop.  The trick is to freeze the muscles that depress the brow (like the ones between the eyes) and only freeze the top part of the frontalis (the lifting muscle).  That way the brow stays in place and the forehead still appears smooth.  There is some balance between these two.Best of luck

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon