Bellafill versus Sculptra?

I thought Bellafill provides immediate, visible correction after injection which is maintained and improves as the person's own collagen grows around the microspheres, whereas Sculptura shows improvement over time after a series of injections. I had Bellafill done and after the initial swelling resolved 4 days later, it looked like I had nothing done to my face. My injector tells me I have to wait months to see any results. I was expecting to see at least some difference immediately. ?

Bellafill as Compared to Sculptra

Both Bellafill and Sculptra are known as particulate fillers but Sculptra fills by adding a lot of particles which eventually get absorbed while Bellafill works by initially filling with collagen which is eventually replaced by your own tissue because of the tiny microspheres (cell size) contained in Bellafill that promote collagen formation. The results you had at the time of your injection (immediate) are the results you should eventually get. A few minutes after the injection however, you will start to swell and it takes about 3 to 10 days for that to all settle down but it will not settle back to where you were prior to your injection. Many injectors are a little conservative with the amount they use because you cannot take Bellafill back and it is not going away.

The good news here is that if you feel you need more, whatever you had will act as a good base for adding more.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill

Although Bellafill does result in some delayed filling effects you certainly should see some results at 4 days later. All of the collagen should not be absorbed at that point. So it is very possible that you simply need more filler. Certain parts of the face, the cheeks or deep nasolabial folds, can often require more filler than expected. Of course any filler gets expensive as their is a cost for each syringe so sometimes if I know that a patient needs a substantial amount of volume correction than I will encourage them to do a fat transfer. Obviously it is hard for me to give you too specific advice without seeing pictures or knowing the details of your injections but my guess is that simply more volume is needed. Otherwise Bellafill is a very reliable fillers and can provide great results. 

Ravi Dahiya, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill versus Sculptra

Bellafill and Sculptra are both stimulating agents that require multiple treatment sessions to obtain gradual results over time.  There is some immediate fill from both agents, but this is fairly short lasting.  The long term filling gradually occurs over time and can take a month or two to reach the full effect.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill shows immediate benefit as well as long term

You are correct in everything you have said. If the correction is not evident after the fill with Bellafill, it is unlikely that after a few months that there will be much difference. The Bellafill is Bovine 80% collagen that is broken down by the body and the PMMA stimulates your own collagen. The "replacement" collagen is usually equal to what was originally seen with the correction. Sculptra is also a collagen stimulant, but doesn't have any visible correction (after the first 48 hours) until your own collagen kicks in. Sculptra is more "robust" than Bellafill, leading to larger corrections.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

BellaFill instant Results

BellaFill uses bovine collagen which will provide you with an immediate result and should last around 3-4 months.  There is a low point in which the collagen has been absorbed and your own collagen production is occurring.  If you are not seeing the results desired it is probably due to a lack of filler, most aging patients will need more than one kit (5 Syringes) of BellaFill.  

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon