Is Smartlipo the best procedure for my double chin? What should I expect to pay? (photos)

I am a slender 120lb, 27 year old woman but have always had a problem area of a fat deposit under my chin. I am scared of the idea of surgery but have been considering smart lipo since it is noninvasive. Would this be the right decision for me? Also, I see lots of places offering smart lipo, groupons. Is this an easy procedure that can be done anywhere, or it is best to go with a top surgeon? What should I expect to pay for the procedure? (Pic: normal profile vs holding fat back/desired results)

Smartlipo For Double Chin?

For starters some misperceptions need to be addressed. SmartLipo is not noninvasive. Smartlipo is a trade name for a type of laser liposuction. It uses a high energy laser to destroy fat cells below the surface of the skin and there is nothing noninvasive about it. That said, it is an effective, and in the right hands, excellent way to contour areas of disproportionate fat excess. Unfortunately, in a misguided effort to attract patients, it gets promoted as being less invasive, with less down time, less bruising, less discomfort etc. None of those claims are accurate and when the promotions start sounding too good to be true your alarm bells should start going off. And speaking of alarm bells..............Groupon? No reputable highly capable surgeon will be offering their services through Groupon. Only marginal, inexperienced, unqualified  practitioners resort to that kind of promotional tactic to market their services. 

While SmartLipo would work, an even better option would be something called Precision TX. This can be thought of as an advanced version of SmartLipo which is only available on some versions of the Triplex SmartLipo laser. You most definitely at minimum will want to look for a Real Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who uses the Triplex SmartLipo laser. The Triplex version of SmartLipo has the greatest capability and most advanced safety features built into the system. Even better, you should look for someone who has the capability of doing Precision Tx because the laser fiber is specifically designed to maximize skin tightening. Remember, this is your face, and in the long run you will be better off focusing on the qualifications, training, and experience of the surgeon, rather than the price. Fees will vary by geographic location, quality of facility, and skill and experience of the surgeon. 

SmartLipo

Thank you for your question. Kybella is the recommended non-surgical technique to remove fat deposit under the chin while SmartLipo assists patients primarily in the cheek area. Kybella is the first and only FDA-approved drug that eliminates submental fullness (double chin) due to submental fat. I suggest that you move forward by consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo will be a great help and never use Groupon

Smartlipo works great in this area and you would be a perfect candidate since you have very good skin tone. 

it is invasive but requires only a 2-3 mm incision which will basically be invisible with time.

a small area like this one, requires only local anesthesia and you can return to work the next day. 

No decent plastic surgeon would offer their services on Groupon for this.

it is extremely safe with someone who knows that they are doing. Groupon may be great for your massage or your car's oil change. i would strongly suggest, you don't use it for your medical procedures, otherwise you may as well see if your car mechanic can throw this in for an extra $10 when you get your oil changed.

another option for you is Kybella but i prefer Smartlipo.

prices will vary around the country but you should expect to pay $ 2,500-3,500.

good luck

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Options for double chin

Thank you for your question and photos. This is a great opportunity to point out that patients should never base their treatment options solely on cost or available coupons. The best way to provide true advice on what is right for you, would be an in-person consultation with an expert. I would caution that it is very important that you see an expert provider with significant experience in aesthetic body contouring because there are many different treatment options to address stubborn fat under the chin, from completely non-invasive to minimally invasive. Cost would depend on the specific treatment plan. Best wishes! Dr. David Amron

David Amron, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Double Chin

You may be a good candidate for Precision TX. Precision is similar to Smartlipo, same laser device. Precision focuses on the uppper and lower neck as well as jowls. If you're a good candidate this is a nice procedure for contouring under the chin area. The laser heats and melts fat while tightening skin, then the fat is suctioned. After suctioning fat the laser is used one more time to tighten skin in the neck/submental/jowl area. Honestly I would stay away from Groupon and focus your search for a good board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you!

Scott C. Lindsay, DO
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Smart Liposuction for neck and chin area

Thank you for this great question! Laser assisted Smart liposuction is a wonderful treatment option for contouring to the neck and chin area. This procedure is a minimally invasive option allowing for minimal down time and beautiful results. It is very important to make sure you are placing your treatment and results in the hands of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Whether you are seeking a large body contouring procedure or a minimally invasive procedure it is important to make sure you are receiving the highest quality and safest treatment possible. I encourage you to research Board Certified Plastic Surgeons in your area as many will offer complimentary consultation as I do for patients interested in contouring procedures. I do hope you have found this information helpful and I wish you luck!

Ronald Downs, MD, FACS
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo on the Chin!

Smartlipo is a minimally invasive procedure with very short downtime! It is great at removing the stubborn fat under the chin and shaping the jawline that you always wanted! Cost will vary, but you could expect to pay $1500 - $2500 to treat a double chin/jaw line.Everything is done under local anesthesia. You will see your best results at 90 days. There is a healing process involved but it is well worth it! The up to date laser will also tighten the skin in those areas and it will look amazing! The laser also destroys 60-70% of the fat cells! I hope this helps you on your journey!:) 

Chaitali Nangrani, MD
The Woodlands Family Physician

SmartLipo for double chin

SmartLipo is very effective in the treatment of fat deposits under the chin and in the jowl area.  But, as pointed out below, it is not noninvasive.  The procedure is typically done in the office with tumescent local anesthesia and, possibly, some oral sedation.  Cost will vary, but you could expect to pay $1500 - $2500 to treat a double chin. 

Another, less invasive option is Kybella.  This is an FDA-approved procedure for treatment of double chin fat.  It involves injection of a chemical that destroys fat cells.  Usually 2-3 treatment sessions are needed, and it works very well.  Cost depends on how large the fat deposit is and how many sessions. Range would be $1000 - $3000.

Best to discuss your options with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced with both techniques to determine what is best for you. 

Chin

Thank you for posting your question. It is a common misconception, but Smart Lipo is not noninvasive. It is similar to traditional liposuction, but its incision is smaller and it adds some skin tightening. Kybella injection is the new noninvasive treatment for chin, but multiple treatments are required and many people experience pain and numbness after each treatment. Therefore, Smart Lipo can turn out to be the cheaper and more efficient option. Best of luck.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Smartlipo the best procedure for my double chin? What should I expect to pay?

Kybella injections may help but liposuction will likely give a better result at a lower price. SmartLipo is the same as regular lipo but adds some skin tightening. See link below for examples.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS