Ankle and Calf Liposuction? (photo)

I am strongly considering ankle and calf liposuction after 25 years of hiding my legs. I know some people are not ideal candidates but I want to make sure I am before I get my hopes built up. I also wish to know how much of a difference it will make and if it is worth the $6500 I have been quoted. Also, is weight gain in that area common if one maintains their weight? I am a fit 25 year old female, 5'5 and 120lbs who exercises daily.

Microliposuction of the calves and ankles can produce dramatic result.

1)  You did not post a picture of the back of your legs, which is a critical view.  But from the pictures you do show, I think this procedure will help you.  We have not seen recurrent fullness in the ankles with weight gain.

2)  Few plastic surgeons seem interested in becoming expert with the calves and ankles, which is puzzling.  There are many women whose lives can be changed for the better, because as you say, they can stop hiding their legs.  These are some of the most grateful patients.

3)  There are a couple of things special about these areas.  Very unforgiving, so technique has to be meticulous.  You need a good eye and very tiny (2 millimeter) cannulas. Also, must wear custom fitted compression stockings for two weeks to prevent prolonged swelling.

Cankle Liposuction

Liposuction of the calfs and ankles can be very effective as even a small amount of fat removal in these areas can make a big difference. Expect the swelling of the lower calfs and ankles to persist for months before you see the benefits of these liposuction efforts.

Calf/Ankle Liposuction

Stubborn fat in the calves and ankles or “cankles” can be difficult to improve with just diet and exercise and patients who experience this can benefit from liposuction. Calf and ankle liposuction can be performed as an outpatient procedure in a fully accredited ambulatory surgery facility with "twilight" anesthesia administered by a board certified anesthesiologist. I use several innovative forms of liposuction, including SmartLipo, in order to contour and resculpture the calves and ankles while providing the most beautiful results with minimal scarring. SmartLipo, used in combination with other forms of liposuction or alone, is a procedure that uses laser light to liquefy fat and tighten the surrounding skin. It involves less downtime and side-effects than traditional liposuction and is particularly good for small areas of fat deposits like the ankles.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Calf and ankle liposuctions can really make a great improvement when done right.

Calf and ankle liposuctions can really change a person's life when they get a great job done but unfortunately there are not many out there that can do the quality of work you need.  I love doing them and it is easy to go through under local anesthesia to shape and sculpt calves and ankles. You need the micro canulas to even attempt this procedure and the doc should have lots of experience doing these areas. Your chances of getting great results with liposuctions go way up when you see a board certified dermatologic surgeon. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction of the calves and ankles

Calf and ankle liposuction are not the most common areas requested for liposuction.  A good candidate for liposuction of this area would have pinchable fat of the the areas to be liposuctioned.  Contouring is performed with specialized small cannulas. Done appropriately there can be significant improvement in the shape of your lower legs.  

Calf and ankle #liposuction

this is a tough area for Liposuction as the fat is very fibrous in the ankles. Its best done with micro-cannulas and under tumescent Liposuction. if not performed adequately it can lead to defects that are very difficult to correct

Misbah Khan MD, FAAD, FACMS

Liposuction of Calves and Ankles?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your pictures, I understand your concerns about “no shape”. However, I would caution you to be very careful about proceeding with surgery. Make sure you do your due diligence and select a board certified plastic surgeon who  can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the results you are looking for.

Frankly, if I were seeing you consultation,  knowing the limitations as well as the potential risks/complications associated with liposuction surgery (for patients with your anatomy) I would do my best to talk you out of surgery.

Ankle and Calf Liposuction?

Ankle and calf liposuction candidates are best determined with a physical exam as the difference between an adequate and suboptimal candidate can be subtle.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Ankle & Calf Liposuction

Calf liposuction is not commonly done as the results are not as reproducible as in other areas. The ankle is even less likely to get good results. I would agree with Dr Pousti's comments below. However, looking at your side view, perhaps a calf implant may make the ankles appear more proportional and give more definition to you legs. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS