Cryolipolysis (CoolSculpting) - Can I have 15Kg's of fat removed by this method? I have insulin resistance. No liposuction..

Doc asks 15Kg removed from my belly fat. I saw coolsculpting. Can that much fat removed from belly? No matter how many sessions as long as it is achievable. Told to be careful to diet and exercise, not permanent. Are the fat cells gone forever? If my calorie intake and consumption + lifestyle is as the same, will it be permanent? I know. If I gain 20KG weight now, and even I had the procedure implemented, I was going to gain the same amount - I know. What if my weight was to remain the same?

Coolsculpting and Process

Coolsculpting is a process whereby a bulge is "frozen" in a given area.  The results are that the fat is reduced by 25% in a given area.  It is not a weight loss device and should not be treated that way.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

CoolSculpting and weight loss

CoolSculpting is not a weight loss treatment, so you would not obtain a 15kg weight loss with the procedure.  With a single treatment, CoolSculpting will normally destroy 20-25% of the fat cells in the treated area.  This is a permanent reduction, but if weight is gained after the treatment, the fat cells that remain will enlarge and the size will increase in the treated area (as well as throughout the body).  If you are attempting to lose 15 kg of weight, I would try diet and exercise (as directed by your doctor).  If after the weight loss there are still some isolated areas of fat, then it may be possible to treat these with CoolSculpting.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure is much more effective than CoolSculpting

SculpSure has beaten CoolSculpting in all head-to-head clinical trials. By melting 25% of your unwanted stubborn fat in 25 minutes, SculpSure is painless and has no prolonged numbing whereas CoolSculpting takes 60-90 minutes, can be painful and can have prolonged numbing. SculpSure is non-invasive and even emits a continuously cooling contact for the patient's comfort.

I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available. A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not for weight loss

Coolsculpting is best when performed on an area that has an excess number of fat cells. For example, women say, "When I gain weight, it goes straight to my belly." That means that you were born with more fat cells in your abdominal area. It would be great to perform coolsculpting in that area to reduce the number of fat cells there and make that are more proportional with the rest of your body. Then, if you gain weight, it will be more evenly distributed over your body. It won't just "go straight" to one area.
The fat loss is permanent after Coolsculpting. You typically lose 20-25% of the fat in the area treated, each time you treat it. I have done it to myself and my staff. It is truly effective and has no down time. 
Coolsculpting is not for weight loss and it is really light fat that is eliminated with Coolsculpting.
Best of Luck,
Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting is not for weight loss

Though we have seen patients lose inches, generally the change in weight is negligible.  Think of the fat cells we are treating with Coolsculpting like cotton balls--though we are removing/killing 20-25% in the given treatment area and the appearance changes, eliminating 20-25% of cotton balls from a bag doesn't change the weight of remaining amount significantly.  Losing 15kg, or even 5kg, is really unrealistic unfortunately.  Dietary changes and exercise are crucial to losing that kind of weight.  Best of luck. 

Grant Stevens, MD

Weight loss with CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting is a permanent way to treat areas of unwanted fat cells but is not a method of weight loss.  Each treatment can permanently reduce the amount of fat in that area by approximately 20% but this does not equal a weight loss.  If 15 kg of weight loss is your goal you will have your best results with diet and exercise.

Jennifer Geoghegan, MD

Weight Loss With CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting is not a weight loss procedure, it is a body contouring procedure. There is no way you will ever lose 15kg of fat with this treatment. Each treatment can reduce fat by 20-25%, but your weight will remain stable. The fat cells are killed permanently. If your goal is to lose 15kg, then diet and exercise would be your best non-surgical bet.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon