Hair loss due to stress and bad diet. Will these hairs grow back now that I'm eating healthy?

My hair loss has accelerated due to stress and not eating. Will those hairs grow back now that I'm eating and eating healthy and if so, how long will it take?

#hairloss due to #diet and #stress

Although hair loss can be due to stress and diet, the most common cause of hair loss is genetic. If indeed your hair loss is due to your diet and stress, by relieving the stress and good diet your lost hair may return. In order to get the proper treament option, you need to establish the actual cause for your hair loss. 

Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

If your hair loss was due to stress, it may take up to a year before you see regrowth. If you are concerned see a doctor for an

If your hair loss was due to stress, it may take up to a year before you see regrowth. If you are concerned see a doctor for an exam.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thinning Hair -- Rogaine, Propecia, Viviscal, Progesterone, PRP

Thinning Hair -- Rogaine, Propecia, Viviscal, Progesterone, PRPIf you have thinning hair you really need an evaluation to see if it is genetic or from another cause like stress or autoimmune. If it is determined to be genetic there are many options and traditional treatments like rogaine foam and propecia pills can be used. I have great success in my practice using injectable progesterone and prp to the scalp. Postmenopausal women also benefit from spironolactone. I suggest seeing a dermatologist with expertise in hair loss. Best, Dr. Emer.

Will hair grow back when I lose it from stress and diet problems?

Sometimes yes and sometimes no is the answer.  For those individuals who have genetic hair loss, these stress factors tend to accelerate a normal hair loss process which does not reverse once accelerated. In some people, a telogen effluvium starts which is reversible and in a few, this type of problem can be cyclical when hair loss and stress are related in non-genetic balding. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Stress and poor diet

When it comes to hair loss there are often a few factors contributing to hair loss even when a patient thinks there is only one. 

For example... out of everyone I've seen in the last week who thinks diet is the reason for their hair loss, 70 % ended up having one more diagnosis and 20 % had two diagnoses.

But assuming diet is the sole reason for hair loss, it will generally take 4-5 months for shedding to slow and stop and another 6-9 months for significant regrowth.