I suffer with migraines. Will my insurance pay for this procedure? I have Cigna, medicate (Photo)

Look at my tired eyes. Tired from the migraines and having to twist my face for over 25 years...

Insurance coverage for Botox

depending on the carrier, different  approval processes may be required. In general you must have failed the use of other migraine drugs and seek clearance from a neurologist.    Sometimes, the places we inject for cosmetic reasons are not the same as where we would inject for migraines. A board-certified plastic surgeon is a great place to start as well. 

Insurance Coverage - Botox for Migraines

Botox can be covered in certain cases depending on your insurance and condition. However, approval is not an easy process. Other treatments will need to have been tried and properly documented. A neurologist would be have a greater likelihood of receiving insurance approval. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

I suffer with migraines. Will my insurance pay for this procedure? I have Cigna, medicate

Thank you for your question. Botox can be covered by insurance but the approval can be difficult.  Patients normally would have tried 3 migraine medications with minimal resolution of symptoms.  Most patients will see a neurologist for insurance approval.  Best wishes.

Botox for headaches

Thank you for sharing your question. Botox can be used for the treatment of migraine headaches after three medications have failed.  The areas injected will not be the same as those spots injected for cosmetic reasons. I hope this helps.  Good luck,

Insurance Coverage for Botox

Hi Kareen1, Thanks for your question and photos. Insurance coverage for botox is possible. However, the approval process can be difficult. Typically, the patient must have had a consultation with a neurologist, tried and failed at least 3 types of migraine therapy medications, have had MRI or CT imaging of the brain and have documented that the migraines are affecting the activities of daily living. I would recommend a consultation with a skilled Botox injector, usually a dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon in your area. Good luck!

Botox for Migraines

Botox can be injected into the forehead, around the ear, back of the head, and neck muscles to help migraines. If you have chronic migraines I suggest being evaluated by a neurologist. Many insurance companies do cover Botox treatment for migraines, but I suggest discussing your concerns with your individual provider. Please consult with a board certified cosmetic dermatologist for treatment. Best, Dr. Emer