Smell from donor site of gum graft?

I had a gum graft 3 days ago. Doctor put a piece of collagen on the donor site on my palate, and I have been wearing a plastic retainer, made by the doctor's office, to protect it. The site appears to be healing well and pain is minimal- but it smells horrible, kind of a rotten meat odor, and has a foul taste. Is this normal?

Gum graft healing

Fishy smell after surgery, bad taste in the mouth could be indication of infection 

Usually this could be treated in early stages by taking a stronger antibiotic 

If left untreated and infection worsens,  the graft will need to be taken out or might even slough off by itself. 

Gum graft healing

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}