What's the benefit of placing the paper tape over suture site after removing steri strips after having a mommy makeover? (Photo)

I'm curious to what the benefit is to have papertape over my incision after removing the steri strips? Does it help keep the incision closed? Do I have a risk of the incision opening back up? Or does the papertape help keep things protected from clothing and friction? I trust my plastic surgeon 100% and I'm following all rules, I just got curious.

Mommy Makeover

Paper tape helps to support the scar and help with the final scar appearance.  Here at plasticsurgeyoahu we have our patient use paper tape at least for 6 weeks after their surgery.

Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Benefit of paper tape on incision

Scar modulation or manipulation is very important after surgery.  The tape is not placed to hold the incision together.  Rather, it helps to decrease shearing forces and movement across the scar.  Additionally, gentle pressure helps flatten and lighten the scar.  Tapping should be done for a minimum of 3 months and as long as 6 months if possible.

Steven H. Wiener, MD

Paper tape support of the scar

Paper tape helps to support the scar and will improve the quality of the final scar. The stimulus for scar tissue production is movement and paper tape helps reduce this movement locally at the scar, thus diminishing the amount of scar tissue formed. Paper tape should be used while the scar is active - red or raised - so for at least 6 months and maybe even longer if you can. It should be changed infrequently, i.e. only when necessary, to avoid damaging the underlying skin with repeated removal and reapplication of tape. I advise patients to use it for all scars from any procedure if possible.

Dirk Lazarus, MD
South Africa Plastic Surgeon