Question about CoolSculpting on arms. Lot of hanging skin, not crepey but hanging. Will it work there? Have used wts for yrs.

If you are in your 60s and even if you have worked your triceps: skin is not wrinkled but just hangs, will the reduction from cool sculpting take care of the skin there? Facial skin is great just the lower area and lines under eyes. and plastysmal bands that I hate. Not a serial surgery type but feeling that some improvement would be great with a great surgeon.

Doctor Answers 14

CoolSculpting for arms

Dear usedtobeacontender,
I recommend seeing a physician for a consultation in order to determine if the skin is hanging because of the weight of the fat or if it is really loose skin with very little fat. CoolSculpting works well to contour the arms if the goal is to reduce fat. If the skin is hanging due to laxity then a skin tightening procedure would be suggested. Best of luck

Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 21 reviews

SculpSure is the better treatment

SculpSure is superior to CoolSculpting, according to clinical studies where SculpSure beats CoolSculpting in head-to-head studies. Leveraging the same laser technology as SmartLipo, SculpSure is the only laser proven to melt fat with no surgery, as approved by the FDA. Sculpsure melts 25% of your unwanted subcutaneous fat through 25-minute in-office treatments whereby the patient experiences no pain nor recovery time in waiting 6-12 weeks for the results.

I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon because the board certified credential ensures you receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available. A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Question about CoolSculpting on arms. Lot of hanging skin, not crepey but hanging. Will it work there? Have used wts for yrs.

Thanks for your question. CoolSculpting is designed to kill fat not to tighten skin. If your main issue is hanging skin and crepey skin CoolSculpting may not be the correct treatment for you. I would advise a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to see if you are a good candidate. Best wishes. 

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

CoolSculpting for Arms

CoolSculpting can achieve great results for fat volume in the arms if you are the ideal canidate. If the skin is very lax or crepey you may need to consider a skin tightening treatment like Pelleve. The best way to find out if you are a candidate would be to schedule a in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Best of luck!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

Coolsculpting and the Arms

It would be best to post photos but I find that if you have a great deal of hanging skin then you might be better off doing Thermage to tighten the skin or a combination of both treatments.  Please consult an experienced dermatologist with expertise in Coolsculpting for the best cosmetic results.

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 76 reviews


I appreciate your question.
Coolsculpting can tighten the skin a bit if you have good skin quality.
If the issue is loose skin it might not be the best modality for you.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Coolsculpting will not tighten loose hanging skin.

Coolsculpting is a fat reduction treatment that relies on the innate elasticity of a patient's own skin in the treated area. You have little or no residual elasticity (by your description) and if the skin "hangs" you also have little fat remaining to be addressed by Coolsculpting. Coolsculpting has no place in your described scenario.

You need skin removal, as no exercise or treatment exists that has replaced plastic surgical excision of loose skin, regardless of location on the body.

Botox can help reduce platysmal bands, but will NOT tighten loose skin--you need a facelift/necklift for that.

Any ABPS-certified plastic surgeon worth his or her salt should tell you that! Go see one or two and get information applicable to your own specific anatomy, goals, and concerns! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 255 reviews

CoolSculpting for hanging skin

While it is difficult to say whether you are a candidate or not without examining you, your description of the problem suggests that it is primarily loose and hanging skin.  CoolSculpting is a fat reduction procedure and would not be expected to significantly improve a problem which is primarily loose skin.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 21 reviews

Coolsculpting and arms

 you need a hi definition arm contouring procedures that also tightens skin, unless you have a large significant amount of skin you can try ThermiRF or may need skin surgery.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

Question about CoolSculpting on arms. Lot of hanging skin, not crepey but hanging. Will it work there? Have used wts for yrs.

Thank you for the question. It is difficult to say what you exactly need without examining you are seeing photos. It is best to have a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine the best option for you. Coolsculpting is a great option for those patients who have fat that is pinchable in areas such as abdomen, back, bra roll areas, and thighs. As far as I am aware I don't think FDA has approved Coolsculpting for the arms.  So if you were to have a Coolsculpting for the arms it would be an off label use. From what you have described it appears that you are more of a surgical candidate than Coolsculpting. Therefore I would recommend for you to have a consultation and examination by board-certified plastic surgeon. Good luck. 

Himansu Shah, MD
Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.