Aerial yoga after breast augmentation?

I have scheduled my breast augmentation for January. I participate in aerial yoga and pole dancing classes and love both. Will I still be able to do this once my capsules have formed? It's a lot of body weight lifting with my arms.

Possible, once you've recovered

Your ability to do intense physical exercise, including aerial yoga and pole dancing, won’t be affected by your breast augmentation. You’ll be able to continue doing these activities after your surgery, as long as you’re adequately recovered. Usually, this can take about 6-8 weeks, or more. Your surgeon will be able to tell you when you can start again.

Aerial yoga after breast augmentation

I typically say that strenuous activity like this would take 6 weeks before it is safe to do it, but you should be fine. I have had MMA fighters that had breast augmentation and they do fine, just I don't allow full contact like that until 3 months. Congratulations on your decision and good luck , but you will be fine, don't worry.

W. John Bull, MD

Activity

Hello, in general yes, you will be able to return to all of your activities at some point. Every surgeon is different with their recommended limitations. I typically hold off on aerobic activity for 3 weeks. From 3 weeks on I gradually increase the activity until around 6 weeks when patients are cleared for most activities. 

Exercise After Surgery

Once you are healed normal activities can be resumed.  Discuss this with your operating surgeon as he will be monitoring your progress.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Aerial yoga after breast augmentation

It is always best to discuss this with your surgeon but in almost all individuals, once the strength in healing has maximized, one can resume previous activities that utilize the chest muscles. In most individuals this can be around six weeks postoperatively. Your surgeon may have special instructions for you and allow you to resume either earlier or later than that. Discuss your concerns and he or she will make their recommendations.

Aerial yoga

It depends on the route of placement of the implant. We have found that endoscopic breast augmentation where the incision is hidden under the arm does not require the activity restriction of the approach where the incision is left on the chest under the breast. With endoscopic breast augmentation we actually encourage early activity with range of motion and yoga would be excellent from our standpoint and will not hurt your result. Our philosophy is that if there is no need to put a scar on the chest ( and there isn't) then why do it? So, in your situation the best of both worlds would be a discrete incision under the arm with no scar on the chest and able to do yoga early. 

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

For my patients, I recommend no strenuous activity or heavy lifting for 6 -8 weeks following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Aerial yoga after breast augmentation?

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  After a breast augmentation patient's are able to return to their full level of activities but because of the upper body work and stamina required to perform aerial yoga you may need 8-10 weeks of uncomplicated recovery before starting to slowly work back into your former level of intensity.  Hope this helps. 

Https://www.galantemd.com/plastic-surgery/breast-enhancement.cfm

Yoga and pole dancing will have to be restricted for at least 6 to 8 weeks after your surgery. Any activity that requires use of your chest, shoulders, or upper arms will be difficult and risk during that period. After that, you will have to start those activities gradually possibly doing push-ups and planks with your knees on the floor, for example, if your implants are placed below the muscle. If the implants are placed above the muscle, the recovery will be much shorter, possibly three weeks or so. Discuss the postoperative routine and instructions with your plastic surgeon. Every surgeon has a different way of doing things.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Aerial yoga after breast augmentation?

Thank you for the question. Long-term patients who undergo breast augmentation surgery (barring any complications) should be able to return to all activities with full strength. 

Timing to return to specific types of exercise will vary from one patient to another. Best to check with your plastic surgeon for specific advice. Generally, I suggest patients gradually ease back into the strenuous aerobic exercise 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively, assuming that they are doing well and there have been no complications. Lower body exercise can generally be resumed 2 weeks postoperatively. Use common sense, listen to your body, and gradually resume previous activity. In my practice, I ask patients to avoid contact and strenuous exercise involving the pectoralis major muscles ( such as push-ups, bench press, burpees, dancing on a pole…) for at least 3-6 months. 

You may find the attached link/video helpful to you. Best wishes.