Can I get a sebaceous cyst removed from my groin at same time as Labiaplasty?

I have been having problems with a sebaceous cyst about the size of a grape in my groin area. Its been coming and going for 3 months now. I went the the ER and the Dr. lanced it. She said only a little pus came out and that the cyst was too deep for her. I was hoping these antibiotics would knock out the infection and the cyst would go away but she recommended having it removed at the same time as my labiaplasty. Is there any chance this cyst will go away on its own with the antibiotics?

Probably

As long as any infection has cleared and the cyst is not too close to the other work that needs to be done, it will likely be possible to remove it at the same time as labiaplasty surgery.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Cyst removal and labiaplasty performed together

Thanks for your questions.  Its very unlikely the cyst will go away on its own.  Once the infection has cleared, its possible to remove the cyst at the same time as your labiaplasty procedure. 

Sebaceous Cyst of the Vulva

Recurrent Sebaceous cysts will not resolve and will tend to recur so I would recommend an excision.

Labiaplasty

Thank you for your question.  The cyst should be able to be removed at the time of labiaplasty, but it depends in part on the physical examination.  There are several surgeons in your region that could be consulted for your issue.  I hope that this helps.  Best of Luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Many procedures can be combined with labiaplasty

Groin cysts are easy to remove when they are organized and localized, but less so before they have "ripened". If you can time the procedure around the maturity of the cyst, you'll get a better result with the cyst.

Combined surgery

Thank you for your question. It can certainly done at the same time. Please talk to your PS. We usually wait for the infection to subside before removing the cyst.

Sebaceous cyst and labiaplasty

I agree with Dr Aguirre below. Yes the two can be done together but this is really the surgeons choice and the surgeons comfort level.  If your surgeon chooses not to do them simultaneously he/she feels they are being safe.   Please discuss with your surgeon.   I agree the cyst will not go away with antibiotics

John R Miklos MD

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your upcoming labiaplasty.  I would first obtain a diagnosis as to what the mass is that is causing your difficulties - cyst, hidradenitis, Bartholins, etc. See a dermatologist, plastic surgeon or ob/gyn to have a variety of recommendations performed. If the mass is indeed a cyst only surgery will definitely resolve the problem as the cyst and its surrounding wall of tissue needs to be removed.  Antibiotics alone will only treat a possible infection.  If the area is actively infected and near your labia it would be best to postpone your labiaplasty until the infection has resolved.  Talk to your labiaplasty surgeon about this new development.  Best wishes. 

Yes - Incision and drainage of cyst at time of Labiaplasty is possible

Thank you for your question, although a photo would have helped. It's not uncommon to combine these procedures, but this ultimately depends on your clinical presentation and your surgeon. Once the infectious process is "quieted down" it may be possible to surgically incise and drain the abscess at the time of your Labiaplasty. Bartolin's gland cysts are more common and I've addressed this before at the time of a Labiaplasty on several patients. 

You should seek out the experience and expertise of a reconstructive and cosmetic vaginal surgeon who can provide you with the best options. 

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Cyst removal with Labiaplasty

Thank you for your question.  It is possible that you can have a cyst removed at the same time you have your labiaplasty.  Of course an examination is necessary to determine if you are a good candidate for surgery.