Is it common to remove a mucous cyst on lip and not put in stitches? (photo)

I had a Mucocele Removal on the inside of my lower lip yesterday. The ENT dr did not put stitches in afterwards. It's VERY swollen and the hole is almost double the size, I can see the fatty tissue on the inside of my lower lip and needless to say I'm freaking out. I've been reading about all types of surgerys to remove the cyst and have not come across one where stitches were not used. Does anyone have any insight on this? I'm worried it's going to get infected or heal very strange and look deformed.

Mucocele of lip - why no sutures?

Thank you for asking about your lip surgery.
  • I agree with you about your care.
  • This procedure could be easily done with sutures to close the tissue - if the surgery was needed at all.
  • Your ENT instead used cautery, leaving an open wound.
  • I hope s/he gave you instructions on care - 
  • Follow the instructions, let it heal and see an plastic surgeon in six months if the result is poor - and for any future lip surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Is it common to remove a mucous cyst on lip and not put in stitches?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  I see your area of concern and share your opinion on your treatment.  In most cases a mucocele is self-limited and resolves on its own but occasionally surgical excision is warranted.  Typically this entails a small in-office procedure to remove the lesion an sutures to close the wound.  Your appearance is not classic for a mucocele removal.  I would voice your concerns to your surgeon about your appearance and your pain.  The good news is that in most cases of an open lip wound that it tends to heal with a nearly imperceptible scar.