How soon after a mommy makeover can I go back to work?

Mommy Makeover is a term that generally refers to repairing the ravages of pregnancy and as you can imagine this may vary considerably between individuals. As such the return to work depends on exactly which procedures are being done (generally for breasts and abdomen but may include hips, pubis, thighs and even face and neck). Also return to work will depend on the individual's tolerance to pain or soreness, type of work duties and any pre-existing medical conditions.  Two weeks off from work is a rule of thumb. However if you have a surgery on a Friday and return on the second Monday (you would have 11 days including the surgery day and only be off work 6 days). This is often enough time for many patients and 6 days off work is often more doable for many. 
William Aiello M.D.  Newport Beach and Los Alamitos CA

Returning to Work and Activity Post Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Recovery and return to work

The answer to your question depends on what type of work do you do?  Are you primary at a desk or does your job involve lots of heavy lifting?  It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures.  After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours if needed.   All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck).   Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  Most of my mommy makeover patients are comfortable with driving 7-10 days after their surgery.  I generally recommend taking 7-10 days off from a desk job after a mommy makeover procedure.  Doing too much too soon can definitely increase your risk of healing problems or fluid collections (seromas).

Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff.  It is very important you allow enough time for yourself and your recovery.  Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures.  I'm sure you'll love your results.   Please plan and give enough time for your recovery.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu
houston, tx

Mommy make-over recovery

• It depends on what is done at surgery,
  • If implants are above the muscle and the TT does not require muscle repair, recovery is faster, 
  • On average, after a mommy make-over, a woman without small children can work part time from home after a week,
  • return to work - desk work, short commute - at 2 weeks but will be exhausted by the end of the day,
  • can work most jobs at 3 weeks.
  • if you have small children, you should have help at home for at least the first 2 weeks.

If a tummy tuck is part of the planned operation, the minimum time to return to a sedentary job would be 1 week.

One week after mommy makeover most patients can return to behind the desk job.

People recover differently from operations. Most patients are back to driving and doing day-to-day activity about a week after mommy makeover. Jobs more physically demanding would require a longer convalescence.

Work after plastic surgery.

hello. thanks for the question. Recovery time varies for each patient, ranging from 15 to 30 days, this will also depend on the work you do.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Typically with a tummy tuck you can return to work after 2 weeks but it varies from patient to patient.  It will be dependent on how your healing is progressing and your job requirements.  I suggest you discuss this with your surgeon directly and be sure to follow your surgeon’s guidelines closely.

Recovery from a mommy makeover procedure

Most women will take off about one week from work to recover from a mommy makeover procedure. If your work requires any strenuous activity or heavy lifting, you will likely need more time off. Discuss this in further detail with your plastic surgeon during your consultation.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Return to work

The postop recovery will be dependent on what needs to be done and your job. Often I recommend 2 weeks off work but I would usually see you at 1 week and advise. Some pts are able to return to work sooner than 2 weeks and sometimes patients take longer. You should discuss this with your PS as they may have their own postop instructions.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon