How Soon After a Breast Reduction Can You Start Shopping for Bras?

I am 1 month post op but I still appear to be swollen.

Wait for at least 3 months

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

Breast Reduction and Bra Shopping?

I would suggest that you wait at least 6 months before shopping for anything but inexpensive bras. It will take that period of time for the breast to start taking final “shape”.

Breast reduction and bra shoppiing

First, you must check with your doctor in terms of what type of bra they prefer that you buy.  Also, you still may be fairly swollen and you may want to wait another month or two to figure out the right size.

When to go bra shopping after breast reduction

Swelling can persist for a minimum of 6-9 months after surgery. Therefore it is difficult to assess the final size unitil that time has transpired. Therefore, I would wait at least this amount of time before investing in any expensive bras.

Breast reduction and healing

I would ask your plastic surgeon and follow his advice. I usually allow my patients full activity after two or three weeks. Watch my video on breast reduction.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Not time for shopping just yet.

I usually recommend waiting to sized for a bra about 6-8  weeks after surgery.  Even then I tell patient's their breasts may change slightly months down the road and require resizing for a bra.

Dr. ES