I'm Afraid Having a Brazilian Butt Lift Will Kill Me?

So I already had the BBL, just wanted to go back for a round two..but ever since my surgery I have heard of people dying from fat embolisms, or dying because the doc hit an artery while liposuctioning. What are the chances of those two things really happening??

Brazillian butt lift, is it safe?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Every surgery carries risks, but a Brazillian Butt Lift is not safer or more likely to kill you than a large volume liposuction with or wwithout a tummy tuck.  Chose a board certfied plastic surgeon who has done a ton of butt lifts.  and that he or she has previlages to do this surgery at a local hospital. Also make sure his or her OR is certified and you will be fine.

Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Complcations of Brazilian Butt Lift.....

Fortunately, these risks are very rare. I have performed this procedure several hundred times and never seen any of these complications.  They are always possible but fortunately rare!
Because of these risks, as rare as they are, I will only perform procedures like this at my local hospital.  You get to spend the night in a private room, with all of the medical specialists the hospital has to offer available just in case there were any problems.  The additional fee is only about $200 to be able to spend the night.  Its a great deal for your safety, comfort and piece of mind.

Death after surgery from Brazilian Butt lift

There is no question that all surgical procedures carry some risk.  The job of your plastic surgeon is to minimize that risk.  All surgery must be tempered with judgment.  There is such a thing as too much surgery.

For the average buttock augmentation the risk of hitting an artery or fat embolism is extraordinarily low.  Fortunately I have not seen these complications in over 15 years in practice.

Be sure you entrust your care to a board certified plastic surgeon. Whether you choose inpatient or outpatient surgery in an accredited center.

Good luck if you choose to proceed. 

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

How to avoid complications

Any cosmetic procedure should be performed by a board certified plastic surgeon, who is experienced in the type of surgery you desire. There are always risks undergoing cosmetic surgery. However, death from a Brazilian Butt Lift is rare. Is it possible to hit an artery by liposuction? Yes, but extremely rare with an experienced plastic surgeon. Hope this helped, best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel
double board certified
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates
Barrington
Oakbrook
Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian butt lift risks

Generally speaking a Brazilian butt lift is a very safe procedure. The complications are not volume related. The most common complications are swelling and bruising which resolve over the first month. Also, you can expect to lose 30 to 50% of the fat injected. 

If the fat is not correctly injected some of it can die and you may feel lumps, this is called fatty necrosis. Fluid collections or seromas can occur if there is too much undermining. These complications depend on the surgeon's technique and can be completely avoided. 

The most dreaded complication is a fat embolism which occurs in less than .1% of the cases. This convocation can be completely avoided by your surgeon by not injecting into the muscle layer and using a large blunt cannula. #StayBeautiful @RealDrWorldWide