Is Abdominal Swelling Normal After CoolSculpting?

I had Cool Sculpting done three days ago...the large device on my lower abdomen and small one on upper abdomen. My abdomen is noticibly swollen. I have actually gained about 1.5 lbs even tho I am eating less and healthier. Is this temporary water gain from swelling normal?

Swelling after Zeltiq CoolSculpting is normal

Although it is considered to have minimal down time, Zeltiq CoolSculpting chills the fat and causes the fat cells to die. This creates inflammation which helps the body get rid of fat cells. Swelling and bruising can occur. It may last for a few weeks and improves on its own.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Is swelling normal after the procedure?

Most patients experience transient skin changes at the treatment site after the procedure. When the applicator is removed, the tissue appears red and raised, and feels cold and firm. Transient mild bruising may occur around the edges of the site. These changes begin to resolve within a few minutes of the procedure. Mild bruising, and/or minor swelling may arise in the days following the procedure but typically resolve within a week. Occasionally, a patient may have an atypical skin reaction. For example, bruising or swelling may take longer to resolve or the site may become red, warm and tender. These atypical reactions may be due to individual characteristics that make the patient more sensitive to the procedure.

Jay Burns, MD

Swelling a Common CoolSculpting Side Effect

Even though CoolSculpting is a noninvasive procedure that does not require any downtime, there are some typical side effects associated with the treatment. One of those is swelling, which can last between a few days to a couple of weeks. Swelling and inflammation are normal responses to the process of "freezing" the fat cells, which begin dying as a result of CoolSculpting. If swelling persists after 2 weeks or you begin experiencing some discomfort, get in touch with your CoolSculpting provider.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal Swelling After Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an amazing procedure especially for the abdominal area.  Because the area is "frozen", some patients due experience a degree of swelling or discomfort in the abdominal area.  This swelling should resolve in about a week. If you are concerned or very uncomfortable you should return to your treating physician for examination.

Swelling after CoolSculpting treatment

Swelling after treatment is normal. Everyone is different and will have a different response with severity and duration of the swelling. If the swelling doesn’t subside within a few weeks, you should consult the treating physician.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to Expect After Treatment

It is normal to feel a dull sensation in the treated area after the treatment. This sensation can last up to a few weeks. It is normal to have minor bruising, swelling, and tenderness to the treated area. If any of the feelings listed above change or get worst, contact your provider for further treatment.

Mark Pinsky, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question. Swelling is a completely normal reaction after CoolSculpting. It should only around 7 days. Other side effects may be itching and numbness that may last a couple of weeks. Hope this helps. 

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal swelling after CoolSculpting

Belly swelling can happen after CoolSculpting.  Although this is a non surgical procedure, freezing and killing fat does initiate an inflammatory cascade which eventually breaks down the fat.  The suction also can create some swelling.  This will not create downtime.  A little bruising can also occur.  This will gradually disappear over the course of the next few weeks and by 4 to 6 weeks you will begin to notice a slimmer waistline. 

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
200 Stony Brook Court, Newburgh, New York

Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon (ABFPRS)
American Society forLaser Medicine & Surgery (ASLMS)
Clinical Professor New York Presbyterian Hospital
National Education Faculty (physician trainer) for:
Allergan (Botox, Juvederm, Voluma), Galderma (Scultpra, Restylane, Silk),
Cynosure (Cellulaze, Precision Laser Lift) & Solta (Fraxel, Thermage)
Zeltiq( CoolSculpting)

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling is very normal after Coolsculpting

Hi, what you are experiencing is entirely normal after the Coolsculpting procedure, especially in the abdomen. The process of fat cells dying is actually an inflammation process so it is normal to feel the effects of that inflammation. I expect your swelling will resolve itself in around a week or two. Best of luck. 

David P. Rapaport, MD

Swelling following CoolSculpting

Swelling is not uncommon following CoolSculpting, especially when treating the abdomen.  Some of our patients feel bloated and actually feel as if their clothes are tighter for a few days following treatment.  This should resolve within two weeks.  You can always follow up with your provider if you have any further concerns.  However, in two months you should start to notice your results!  

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon