Is Abdominal Swelling Normal After CoolSculpting?

I had Cool Sculpting done three days ago...the large device on my lower abdomen and small one on upper abdomen. My abdomen is noticibly swollen. I have actually gained about 1.5 lbs even tho I am eating less and healthier. Is this temporary water gain from swelling normal?

Swelling After Coolsculpting

It is normal to have swelling at the treatment site, part of the body's reaction to the cryolipolysis is inflammation and healing. This usually won't last more than 1-2 weeks. Some patients may develop a bruise at the treatment site as well.
- Dr. P

Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling following CoolSculpting

Swelling is not uncommon following CoolSculpting, especially when treating the abdomen.  Some of our patients feel bloated and actually feel as if their clothes are tighter for a few days following treatment.  This should resolve within two weeks.  You can always follow up with your provider if you have any further concerns.  However, in two months you should start to notice your results!  

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after coolsculpting

Dear 1cairobeller,

It is normal to get swelling after coolsculpting treatment. This is a good sign as it means that there is inflammation happening which is what you want. The swelling will resolve on its own gradually over the next 1-2 weeks.

Good luck!

Shamim Shakibai, MD
Los Angeles Physician

Swelling is considered a normal side effect following a CoolSculpting procedure

Yes, swelling is considered a normal side effect following a CoolSculpting procedure. It is a result of the inflammation that occurs as the fat cells die off. Swelling is generally temporary, and may last for up to two weeks.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling a Common CoolSculpting Side Effect

Even though CoolSculpting is a noninvasive procedure that does not require any downtime, there are some typical side effects associated with the treatment. One of those is swelling, which can last between a few days to a couple of weeks. Swelling and inflammation are normal responses to the process of "freezing" the fat cells, which begin dying as a result of CoolSculpting. If swelling persists after 2 weeks or you begin experiencing some discomfort, get in touch with your CoolSculpting provider.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

What to Expect After Treatment

It is normal to feel a dull sensation in the treated area after the treatment. This sensation can last up to a few weeks. It is normal to have minor bruising, swelling, and tenderness to the treated area. If any of the feelings listed above change or get worst, contact your provider for further treatment.

Mark Pinsky, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Zeltiq CoolSculpting is normal

Although it is considered to have minimal down time, Zeltiq CoolSculpting chills the fat and causes the fat cells to die. This creates inflammation which helps the body get rid of fat cells. Swelling and bruising can occur. It may last for a few weeks and improves on its own.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after Coolsculpting

Yes swelling after Coolsculpting can be normal for some patients.  It is the body's own way of recovering, or tolerating a procedure.  It normally goes away with post treatment compression garments, after a few days.  If it lasts longer than a week or two, I would suggest calling the treating facility for a follow up.  Anytime you have swelling anywhere in the body it is understandable the weight will fluctuate up some.  Hope this helps answer your great question.   

Jennifer Cova, DO
Dayton OB/GYN

Thank you for your question. Please don’t worry. It is common to have

swelling after CoolSculpting treatment. This is part of your body’s reaction to
inflammation and healing. This can last up to 2 weeks. Also, some patients
develop a bruise at the treatment site. If you have any other concerns please
contact your treating physician. Best of Luck

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Swelling is Common After CoolSculpting

Anytime you have a procedure done that causes injury to tissues of the body, you will have swelling.  It is a normal process of healing.  When you have tissue injury, the local blood vessels dilate to deliver healing factors and white blood cells.  This process leads to accumulation of fluids.  As a result, you will experience edema, also know as, fluid accumulation.  Typically, that goes away after a few days.  It may take up to a week for it to go away completely.  If the swelling lasts beyond that, please follow up with your CoolSculpting provider.  

Garry K. Kim, MD
Pasadena Internist