Is Abdominal Swelling Normal After CoolSculpting?

I had Cool Sculpting done three days ago...the large device on my lower abdomen and small one on upper abdomen. My abdomen is noticibly swollen. I have actually gained about 1.5 lbs even tho I am eating less and healthier. Is this temporary water gain from swelling normal?

Swelling is considered a normal side effect following a CoolSculpting procedure

Yes, swelling is considered a normal side effect following a CoolSculpting procedure. It is a result of the inflammation that occurs as the fat cells die off. Swelling is generally temporary, and may last for up to two weeks.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling After Coolsculpting

It is normal to have swelling at the treatment site, part of the body's reaction to the cryolipolysis is inflammation and healing. This usually won't last more than 1-2 weeks. Some patients may develop a bruise at the treatment site as well.
- Dr. P

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling a Common CoolSculpting Side Effect

Even though CoolSculpting is a noninvasive procedure that does not require any downtime, there are some typical side effects associated with the treatment. One of those is swelling, which can last between a few days to a couple of weeks. Swelling and inflammation are normal responses to the process of "freezing" the fat cells, which begin dying as a result of CoolSculpting. If swelling persists after 2 weeks or you begin experiencing some discomfort, get in touch with your CoolSculpting provider.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

What to Expect After Treatment

It is normal to feel a dull sensation in the treated area after the treatment. This sensation can last up to a few weeks. It is normal to have minor bruising, swelling, and tenderness to the treated area. If any of the feelings listed above change or get worst, contact your provider for further treatment.

Mark Pinsky, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Swelling following CoolSculpting

Swelling is not uncommon following CoolSculpting, especially when treating the abdomen.  Some of our patients feel bloated and actually feel as if their clothes are tighter for a few days following treatment.  This should resolve within two weeks.  You can always follow up with your provider if you have any further concerns.  However, in two months you should start to notice your results!  

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Zeltiq CoolSculpting is normal

Although it is considered to have minimal down time, Zeltiq CoolSculpting chills the fat and causes the fat cells to die. This creates inflammation which helps the body get rid of fat cells. Swelling and bruising can occur. It may last for a few weeks and improves on its own.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Common Side Effect

Swelling after CoolSculpting is very common. It is normal since the area being treated is reacting to Cryolipolisis thus causing inflammation and healing. But don't worry the swelling goes away within a few weeks.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting Provides Improvement in Body Contour That lasts!

Hello and thank you for your question.  It generally takes about 2 weeks for the swelling and bloating to subside. The intermittent discomfort tends to subside quicker than the swelling. If the swelling does not improve, I recommend scheduling a follow-up visit with your Coolsculpting  specialist. Best wishes

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Abdominal Swelling After Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an amazing procedure especially for the abdominal area.  Because the area is "frozen", some patients due experience a degree of swelling or discomfort in the abdominal area.  This swelling should resolve in about a week. If you are concerned or very uncomfortable you should return to your treating physician for examination.

Swelling after CoolSculpting treatment

Swelling after treatment is normal. Everyone is different and will have a different response with severity and duration of the swelling. If the swelling doesn’t subside within a few weeks, you should consult the treating physician.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon