Is Abdominal Swelling Normal After CoolSculpting?

I had Cool Sculpting done three days ago...the large device on my lower abdomen and small one on upper abdomen. My abdomen is noticibly swollen. I have actually gained about 1.5 lbs even tho I am eating less and healthier. Is this temporary water gain from swelling normal?

Swelling After Coolsculpting

It is normal to have swelling at the treatment site, part of the body's reaction to the cryolipolysis is inflammation and healing. This usually won't last more than 1-2 weeks. Some patients may develop a bruise at the treatment site as well.
- Dr. P

Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling following CoolSculpting

Swelling is not uncommon following CoolSculpting, especially when treating the abdomen.  Some of our patients feel bloated and actually feel as if their clothes are tighter for a few days following treatment.  This should resolve within two weeks.  You can always follow up with your provider if you have any further concerns.  However, in two months you should start to notice your results!  

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Swelling is considered a normal side effect following a CoolSculpting procedure

Yes, swelling is considered a normal side effect following a CoolSculpting procedure. It is a result of the inflammation that occurs as the fat cells die off. Swelling is generally temporary, and may last for up to two weeks.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling a Common CoolSculpting Side Effect

Even though CoolSculpting is a noninvasive procedure that does not require any downtime, there are some typical side effects associated with the treatment. One of those is swelling, which can last between a few days to a couple of weeks. Swelling and inflammation are normal responses to the process of "freezing" the fat cells, which begin dying as a result of CoolSculpting. If swelling persists after 2 weeks or you begin experiencing some discomfort, get in touch with your CoolSculpting provider.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

What to Expect After Treatment

It is normal to feel a dull sensation in the treated area after the treatment. This sensation can last up to a few weeks. It is normal to have minor bruising, swelling, and tenderness to the treated area. If any of the feelings listed above change or get worst, contact your provider for further treatment.

Mark Pinsky, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Zeltiq CoolSculpting is normal

Although it is considered to have minimal down time, Zeltiq CoolSculpting chills the fat and causes the fat cells to die. This creates inflammation which helps the body get rid of fat cells. Swelling and bruising can occur. It may last for a few weeks and improves on its own.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after coolsculpting

Dear 1cairobeller,

It is normal to get swelling after coolsculpting treatment. This is a good sign as it means that there is inflammation happening which is what you want. The swelling will resolve on its own gradually over the next 1-2 weeks.

Good luck!

Shamim Shakibai, MD
Los Angeles Physician

Yes, some swelling is normal for some patients after an abdominal treatment of CoolSculpting. Patients may feel bloated for 1-3 weeks. You should start seeing an improvement in six to eight week. 

Daniel Taheri, MD

Abdominal swelling after coolsculpting

The original coolsculpting applicators almost always cause swelling.  The increased weight is related to the fluid of that swelling.  Don't worry, it lasts one to two weeks and then is gone. By one month you start to see the slimming effects of the treatment and you see the final results at 3 months.  We still use the original applicators when needed, but try to use the newer faster cooladvantage applicators when we can.  Those produce less suction and minimal if any post-treatment swelling.  Note that both types of applicators work.  The choice depends on their availability and your anatomy.

I hope that answer helps.  Best wishes.

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD

Swelling after CoolSculpting

Swelling after CoolSculpting is a normal side effect especially to the abdominal area. We let our patients know this ahead of time and suggest some loose fitting clothing for the next week or two. Typically it feels as if you area bloated but this is all very normal as the body is reacting to the inflammation.

Emerico Csepanyi, MD
Newport Beach Physician