Is Abdominal Swelling Normal After CoolSculpting?

I had Cool Sculpting done three days ago...the large device on my lower abdomen and small one on upper abdomen. My abdomen is noticibly swollen. I have actually gained about 1.5 lbs even tho I am eating less and healthier. Is this temporary water gain from swelling normal?

Swelling After Coolsculpting

It is normal to have swelling at the treatment site, part of the body's reaction to the cryolipolysis is inflammation and healing. This usually won't last more than 1-2 weeks. Some patients may develop a bruise at the treatment site as well.
- Dr. P

Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling following CoolSculpting

Swelling is not uncommon following CoolSculpting, especially when treating the abdomen.  Some of our patients feel bloated and actually feel as if their clothes are tighter for a few days following treatment.  This should resolve within two weeks.  You can always follow up with your provider if you have any further concerns.  However, in two months you should start to notice your results!  

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after coolsculpting

Dear 1cairobeller,

It is normal to get swelling after coolsculpting treatment. This is a good sign as it means that there is inflammation happening which is what you want. The swelling will resolve on its own gradually over the next 1-2 weeks.

Good luck!

Shamim Shakibai, MD
Los Angeles Physician

Swelling is considered a normal side effect following a CoolSculpting procedure

Yes, swelling is considered a normal side effect following a CoolSculpting procedure. It is a result of the inflammation that occurs as the fat cells die off. Swelling is generally temporary, and may last for up to two weeks.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling a Common CoolSculpting Side Effect

Even though CoolSculpting is a noninvasive procedure that does not require any downtime, there are some typical side effects associated with the treatment. One of those is swelling, which can last between a few days to a couple of weeks. Swelling and inflammation are normal responses to the process of "freezing" the fat cells, which begin dying as a result of CoolSculpting. If swelling persists after 2 weeks or you begin experiencing some discomfort, get in touch with your CoolSculpting provider.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

What to Expect After Treatment

It is normal to feel a dull sensation in the treated area after the treatment. This sensation can last up to a few weeks. It is normal to have minor bruising, swelling, and tenderness to the treated area. If any of the feelings listed above change or get worst, contact your provider for further treatment.

Mark Pinsky, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after CoolSculpting

A little bit of sweeling/bloating is perfectly normal after a CoolSculpt procedure. It should go down in 1-2 weeks and then you should start to see some results shortly after!

DeEtta M. Gray, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling is Normal after Coolsculpting

Hello 1cairobeller,

It is common to have swelling in the areas treated with Coolsculpting. Swelling in the abdomen is normal, and typically subsides within 7-10 days after treatment. The amount of Coolsculpting swelling is determined by how many cycles were done, if there was any bruising post treatement, and the area of treatment.

Best of Luck!

Dr. Thomas E. Kaniff

Thomas E. Kaniff, MD, FACS
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Coolsculpting

Yes swelling after Coolsculpting can be normal for some patients.  It is the body's own way of recovering, or tolerating a procedure.  It normally goes away with post treatment compression garments, after a few days.  If it lasts longer than a week or two, I would suggest calling the treating facility for a follow up.  Anytime you have swelling anywhere in the body it is understandable the weight will fluctuate up some.  Hope this helps answer your great question.   

Jennifer Cova, DO
Dayton OB/GYN

Thank you for your question. Please don’t worry. It is common to have

swelling after CoolSculpting treatment. This is part of your body’s reaction to
inflammation and healing. This can last up to 2 weeks. Also, some patients
develop a bruise at the treatment site. If you have any other concerns please
contact your treating physician. Best of Luck

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician