CoolSculpting Numbness - How Long?

I had my Zeltiq CoolSculpting done five weeks ago.   I am already seeing some fat reduction which I am happy about.  I'm slightly concerned about some slight numbness that I'm still feeling in the areas done.  Initially the areas were completely numb and bruised.  The bruises subsided but some numbness lingers. Is it normal for there be some numbness at the five week mark?  When can I expect full sensation to return?  

Post Coolsculpting Numbness

This is to be expected. We often get calls and hear about this. Sometimes we have to call in some medicine for the patient called neurontin when severe and annoying. It usually doesn't last more than  a few weeks. Always report any side effects to the medical team supervising this. 

Post Coolsculpting Numbness

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

How Long Should Numbness Last After CoolSculpting?

This is a very common question.  The numbness is not everyone's favorite part, but luckily it is temporary.  Unfortunately, there is no exact way to determine how long the numbness will last.  For most patients, it lasts a few weeks and might still be faintly noticeable at the 5 or 6 week mark. It's a very individual thing.  But, it is perfectly normal, and will always go away.  Most clients say they are completely back to normal after 3 weeks. A very small number of patients say it still feels ever so slightly numb after 6 weeks. It is good to hear that you are having great results, if your numbness persists, check in with your physician for evaluation. 

Edward Stokes, MD
West Hollywood Physician

Edward Stokes, MD
West Hollywood Physician

Coolsculpting Can Produce Temporary Numbness in the Treated Area

Thank you for your question. I am happy to hear that you are seeing results from your Coolsculpting treatment.  Temporary numbness is common after the treatment.  It is not uncommon to have delayed onset of pain around 5 days after Coolsculpting.  The discomfort is due to inflammation of the tissue. Not everyone has pain or numbness.  The intermittent discomfort tends to subside within a week. It generally takes about 1 to 2  weeks for the swelling  subside. The numbness can take longer to resolve, especially with the larger abdominal Cool Max applicator.  I do recommend compression for at least 3 weeks or until he numbness has resolved.  We utilize the new Cool Advantage applicators which are much more comfortable and reduce treatment time to 35 minutes.  We currently have 4 Coolsculpting machines and can offer "Dual Sculpting" which further reduces the treatment time.  I recommend keeping in touch with the office of your treating provider and regular follow-up.  Best wishes.

Numbness with Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is a great procedure and I am happy that you are already seeing good results.  Numbness is a potential side effect and more often happens with the larger abdominal piece.  It is a temporary but annoying side effect that should resolve soon.  If you still have concerns you should return to your treating physician for examination.

Numbness with Coolsculpting

Numbness with CoolSculpting

Numbness is normal and persist for up to a few months. The nerves are stretched out during the procedure and take time to repair themselves. With the larger applicator, numbness can persist slightly longer. Give it some time and if it does not resolve itself, you should consult with your provider.

Numbness with CoolSculpting

Numbness After CoolSculpting

Numbness or dullness of sensation are common side effects after the CoolSculpting treatment. It should resolve typically within 2-3 months. In all cases with numbness after CoolSculpting (and we have done more treatments than anyone in the world) we have seen the numbness resolve.

Numbness After CoolSculpting

Numbness after CoolSculpting

Glad that you are seeing results after your CoolSculpting treatment.  Please know that the numbness will subside - it may take longer for some patients than others.

Best Wishes!

Numbness after CoolSculpting

Best Wishes!

How long does the numbness last with Coolsculpting?

Hi,

Generally, we see that the numbness with Coolsculpting resolves in 2-3 weeks and the degree of numbness varies on the area treated.  Usually more numbness is noted with the large applicators on the abdomen as opposed to the small applicators on the back.  Feel reassured that the numbness is temporary!

Dr. Liu

Hi,

Dr. Liu

Numbness in Coolsculpting treated area

It is not uncommon to experience a cutaneous numbness after Coolsculpting. Typically this lasts for a few weeks but may linger up to 6-8 weeks.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Numbness in Coolsculpting treated area

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Numbness with Zeltiq CoolSculpting

Numbness is not uncommon with Zeltiq, but it can take weeks to months for some to see it resolve. I am not aware of long term cases of numbness, but as nerve endings can take more time than other tissue to heal, it is realistic to think it can take more than a couple of months.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Numbness with Zeltiq CoolSculpting

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon