Restylane, Botox, or Laser Treatment for Under Eye Wrinkles?

Hi there! I just turned 40 and noticed these horrible wrinkles under my eyes when I smile. They are just fine lines when not smiling. I don't really have deep troughs or hollows--just bad smile wrinkles, perhaps due to bleaching creams for dark circles, or lack of sleep over the years.

Nowadays, the concealer sinks into the wrinkle and looks really bad! I am trying to see what procedure is best for me. Which treatment is better among Restylane, Botox and laser treatment? I am desperate for help and guidance. Thank you!

Combination approach for under-eye wrinkling

For my patients with under-eye wrinkling, I have a combination of treatments, the first of which involves a laser to improve skin quality, decrease the wrinkles and improve the color. I generally use two laser light devices: an intense pulsed light treatment (IPL) device and an Erbium laser micropeel. Done over a series, it will require anywhere from 2-4 treatments, depending upon the extent of wrinkling and your own personal response to the lasering. This is then followed by a small amount of BOTOX in the lower eyelids.

I use fillers only if the above regimen does not create enough improvement. The reason I don’t immediately opt for fillers is that they don’t eliminate the wrinkles, and fillers do nothing to improve color.

Best Option for Under Eye Wrinkles?

Hi GoGo.  While we have the option of suggesting injections, lasers or surgery at our practice, for you, we would have to recommend surgery.  Lasers and injections are not going to fix your problems because of the amount of skin and the laxity (looseness).  

A lower blepharoplasty surgery would be our recommendation.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Lower Eyelid Wrinkles

Dynamic wrinkles are much more difficult to deal with than static wrinkles. The reason is if you have severe static lower eyelid wrinkles then removal of skin will help. This can't be done with dynamic wrinkles. I recommend starting in a conservative, cheaper way first. Start with a good peel and follow it with tretinoin (Retin-A). If that doesn't give you enough improvement then I would recommend CO2 laser. I don't think fractionated CO2 really does all that so I wouldn't waste my time.

Treatment of the lower eyelids

Although some patients derive benefit from Botulinum toxin as an off-label use, when injected in the lower eyelid skin, it is done sparingly and closer to the eyelashes. The whole lower eyelid extending to the tear trough (the lowest crease between the eyelid and cheek skin) is not injected as that would cause a weakening of the muscle pump action and swelling or puffiness could increase. Furthermore there might not be enough strength of the muscle to keep the eyelid against the eye and the fallen eyelid would allow the eye to dry out and create an irritated dry eye possibly, and this could last a few months. With the significant pouches you demonstrate in the photograph, I don’t think laser would help that much. It is possible, if these are relatively new for you, that the lightening cream you’re using is stimulating the swelling. Some people get significantly irritated, and some allergic to the hydroquinone which is a common lightening ingredient. This will cause swelling. Try to avoid the lightening cream for at least four weeks. If the swelling decreases, then the lines will look better. Some lasers can improve the texture of the skin but they would not be expected to help the pouches you have. Surgical removal might not address the underlying problem and it may recur.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Lower eyelid wrinkles.

This is a difficult problem because it appears that there are multiple associated conditions. There appears to be true hyperpigmentation but that may be due to the photograph. A light chemical peel or laser treatment could improve this. Botulinum Toxin may help the hyperdynamic component as well. Surgery with skin redraping may ultimately be your best solution. I do not see a role for fillers such as juvederm or restylane.

Botox and Restylane Can Resolve Under-Eye Wrinkles

Botox can be used to give your eyes a more alert look and to smooth out wrinkles around the eyes, including crow's feet. I might treat the wrinkles under the eye with Restylane Silk, using a very fine needle and a light touch. This dual process should make your under-eye area look much smoother and more youthful. Please consult a board-certified dermatologist to determine the best treatment options for you.

Best treatment for wrinkles under the eyes

As women reach their late 30s and early 40s they start seeing more wrinkles under their eyes than ever before. This appearance is very bothersome for many women, but luckily there are a few treatment options available to help decrease and remove the appearance of these wrinkles. In my practice I usually recommend Restylane under the eyes or Voluma in the cheeks to restore volume and create a naturally youthful appearance. If fillers will not do enough to improve the appearance, then a surgical lower eyelid lift (blepharoplasty) may be best to truly give you the results you want. While you did provide a picture of your eyes, I like to examine a patient's entire face, as I take a more comprehensive approach when treating the face and want to make sure whatever treatments I perform make the entire face look better. The best and most natural looking results are achieved when we take a holistic approach to facial rejuvenation. Good luck! 

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Botox for under eye wrinkles

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photo. Botox may help to soften the wrinkles under the eyes. It does require a very small amount and it will help to soften the lines. It will not necessarily reduce all the wrinkles like you might see in the forehead or crows feet region. You will notice a soft relaxation of the dynamic lines under the eyes, and you may notice a slight opening of the eyes. I would start with 1-2 units under the eyes on each side. If you like the effects, then it is very easy to incorporate this into your future treatments.

Dermal fillers such as Restylane can be used to fill in shadows under the eye and achieves a more rested look. You can combine the two treatments but it would require a thoughtful approach and careful analysis of your concerns to ensure that treatment options will help you achieve your goals.

I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to address your concern as it is an advanced area to treat.  In addition, a plastic surgeon will be able to discuss surgical alternatives.

Simple Treatments for Under Eye Wrinkles

After 35, it becomes more evident that the natural fat in cheeks begins to disappear, causing skin to sag and the face to look hollow. Dermal fillers such asRestylane Lyft orJuvaderm Voluma are specifically designed to add fullness to the cheeks and mid-face area, giving a more natural-looking, youthful appearance.

Restylane Silk more gently fills the inner eye troughs to make a more natural look to compliment .

Results last 12- 18 months and will make a notable improvement for the aging effects of hollowness!

Botox can help relax the dynamic wrinkles on the outside of your eyes and give you a more wide-eyed appearance! The combination of both fillers and Botox is an excellent solution for the treatment of eye wrinkling!

#eyetreatments  #Botoxforeyes  # RestylaneSilk

Combining Treatments for Under Eye Wrinkles

As we age , it becomes more evident that the natural fat in cheeks begin to disappear, causing skin to sag and the face to look hollow. This can also make the eyes appear darker and more sullen. Dermal fillers such asRestylane Lyft orJuvaderm Voluma are specifically designed to add fullness to the cheeks and mid-face area, giving a more natural-looking, youthful appearance. Restylane Silk more gently fills the inner eye troughs to make a more natural look to compliment . Results will last 12- 18 months or more !

#Botoxforeyes  #RestylaneSilk  #Eyewrinkletreatments