Estimated Breast Size After Breast Reduction?

I am 5'9" tall and I weigh 255 lbs. I'm currently a DDD cup. If I would have 300 grams removed from each breast, what would my estimated cup size be after breast reduction?

Breast reduction

Breast Reduction is a complicated procedure that is best done by those with the most training and experience. It is very difficult to determine the resultant cup size and shape based solely on the number of grams that are removed from your breast to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast reduction and lift surgeries, including different approaches, techniques and even fat transfer and implant choices if you are lacking superior breast fullness.
This is because several measurements—not to mention breast characteristics such as density—are needed to determine how much and where to remove breast tissue to meet your goals. Without knowing your existing breast shape, dimensions, and the density of your breast tissue, it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the same volume of breast tissue will weigh different amounts (measured in ounces or grams) in different people depending on its density. The existing base width of your breast and what you will ultimately want to look like will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume and weight that will need to be removed for the best result.

Please click on the link below for more information!

Breast Size after breast reduction

No one can predict the exact breast cup size you will achieve after the reduction.

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Breast Reduction targeted cup size

BigMC,

The eventual cup size after breast reduction is a function of what is taken out as well as what remains. Without a photo, my comments are perforce generalities. At a height of 5'9" and weight of 255lbs, your Body Mass Index is above average. I would assume that the DDD cup size has a significant fatty composition and possibly that you have been big busted for most of your adult life. In counseling you about breast reduction, a surgeon should take into account your aesthetic as well as functional needs. On top of that, the insurance companies usually impose a weight/breast (grams), which is predicated on your Body Mass Index. Understandably, they do not usually cover breast lifts, which are essentially a breast reduction but taking less weight.

That being said, a "reduction" of 300gm/side in an individual who wears DDD would probably only yield a D-DD cup size, which may be inadequate to solve any of the musculoskeletal or integumentary (skin rash) issues you may be experiencing. Be frank with your PS consultant about what you would like to maintain, after your reduction; I am confident that (s)/he will try to accomodate your desires. Good luck.

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Breast size after reduction

If you have a breast reduction removing approximately 300g from your breast and you currently wear a DDD bra, it is likely that you will only reduce your breasts by 1 to 2 cup sizes, estimating a final size of between a D to a DD. This is only an estimate, and your breasts would need to be examined to give you a better idea. Many women do not wear the correct bra before surgery, and your final size would vary according to how much your breasts are being lifted too.

If you are looking to reduce your breasts for cosmetic reasons and to get an uplift, you may be perfectly happy with this amount of reduction, but if you are looking to reduce them because of current symptoms, I doubt you would get much relief with this amount of reduction.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

A breast reduction of 330 gms for a person with a DDD breast cup size will probably not amount to a significant breast reduction.  You probably need more tissue removed to lower your cup size.

Breast reduction or lift

Bigmc,

You make no mention about whether you have symptoms, such as back or neck pain, from large breasts that are causing you to seek breast reduction surgery. If you do have such symptoms, you may not get relief from the relatively small reduction that you have chosen (relative to your size). Although the plastic surgery literature supports the fact that small reductions (200-300 grams) usually result in significant improvement in quality of life and relief of symptoms, this is in proportion to body size. It is difficult to determine what your goals are and whether you have taken any other steps in attempt to reach them. A weight loss program, or even bariatric surgery (stomach bypass or constricting bands) may be other methods to first reduce your weight and observe what the effects are on your breasts. A 300 gram reduction on DDD breasts in a 255 pound woman is not the optimal scenario from a plastic surgeon's perspective. Good luck!

Breast reduction sizing

Very difficult to say without seeing what your breasts look like and how dense they are. But that is not a significant reduction and likely would not be very therapeutic for you. I would say you may be smaller by a little more than a cup size, if you are truly the bra size you say you are.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Size after Breast reduction

It is always difficult to estimate cup sizes following surgery; in fact, it is impossible to state with certainy. You should always tell your surgeon your ideal size, but this serves only as a framework with no guarantees. With the numbers you have given, my guess is that you would be a D-DD cup with a 300gm reduction.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Cup size is hard to estimate after breast reduction

Cup size is very hard to estimate both before and after breast reduction, though most patients can expect to fit a standard off the rack D cup after a breast reduction. Others may also achieve a C cup if the breast shape will allow. Before reduction stated cup size can be misleading as patients will struggle to find any bra that they can wear, and often wear the 'best' of what they can find. You may not be a true DDD before the reduction. A reduction of 300 grams is a rather modest breast reduction given your stated cup size estimate. Given your height and weight we would estimate a reduction of 650 grams for each breast to get close to the D cup if this is your goal. You should discuss the size you hope to achieve and the estimated amount of breast tissue to be removed with your surgeon beforehand.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast size after breast reduction can be estimated.

Hi!

There are several formulas for estimating breast size after breast reduction.  If only 300 grams are removed from each breast, you will remain quite large : at least a large D or a DD.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)