Would 500 cc's moderate profile gummy bear implants be too big for me? I'm 5'3, 115 lbs?

I am getting very concerned about the size. I am 5'3" and my weight is between 115 and 120 lbs. I have very narrow shoulders and a small frame. My doctor suggested 500 cc moderate profile gummy bear implants. He stated that because I have very little natural breast tissue (I am an A cup now) that 500 cc will not look huge on me. Everyone I've talked to who has had a breast augmentation is telling me that 500 cc's is WAY too big and that I should do high profile and less cc's. Any thoughts?

Implant selection

Implant selection should, in my opinion, be a thoughtful and rational process.  You and your surgeon should discuss your aesthetic goals and how to best achieve them.  You should discuss the risks of paritcular implants (particularly the risks of excessively large volume implants).  Obviously a pysical examination and in person discussion are necessary.  Having said that, 500cc implants are large implants and one should be clear about the stress such will place on your soft tissues.

Implant volume and cup size

Unfortunately, you have not told us your bra size just your cup size.If you are 32 or 34 each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.If you are 36 or 38 each 200 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.From this, you can compute the volume required to achieve your desired goal.500 cc implants are large, will not fit retro-pectoral, will extrude inferiorly and laterally requiring revision.I always recommend small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision.Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Worried about breast implant size

Thank you for your inquiry about the size of your breast implant.

You are of low normal height and normal weight. You have narrow shoulders and a small frame - from this description, unless you want to be very large, a 500 cc implant sounds too large.

I am especially concerned because your surgeon wants to put in large implants when you have little breast tissue and your skin may be tight.

I would either return to the surgeon to discuss your concerns or if you have lost faith with this surgeon becuase of his recommendation, at least get a second opinion as to the best sized implant to achieve your goals. Best wishes.

Implant Size #breastimplants

In my opinion sizing a patient for implants can be simplified. Sizing is not about a number. In fact, I do not even discuss numbers with my patients. If a patient walks through the door and says they want x-cc implants I have to educate them about how sizing works. The best analogy I can relate this to is buying shoes. When you go to buy shoes how do you do that? First you start with the size your foot is right? So if your foot is a 6.5 you try on all kinds of 6.5 size shoes. Some may be tall, some might be flat, and some might be somewhere in between. You would never try to buy a size 8 shoe because it would be too big for your foot right? Breast sizing is the exact same way. Implants come in several different profiles that are like different heights of shoes. Implants can be low profile, moderate profile, or high profile. There are even implants that are higher than high. That would be your high platform shoe. Each implant style give you a different look. Now, your breast has a defined width that we call the base diameter of the breast. This would be analogous to the show size. Your breast base diameter never changes. It is what it is. So now, you can choose several different style of implants that fit the number of your breast base diameter. That really narrows down what implant is best for you. So once you know your breast base diameter you can try the low, moderate, high or really high implants on. The only think you have to decide is which look you are going for. You would never put an implant that is 13 centimeters wide in a patient whose base diameter is 10 centimeters. Half the implant would be in the armpit. So, this is very simple to me. My patients get a few choices that fit their breast and that is it. I will not put an implant in a patient that is too wide for their body because it will harm them over time. Hope this helps.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Best implant size

It is difficult to make an implant size recommendation without a formal consultation and exam. However, based on your description of your body I would be concerned about the dimension and size of implant.    The four most helpful tools for implant sizing are 1) discussion about shape and size goals, 2) trial implants, 3) measurements, and 4) 3D imaging to simulate the result.   Large implants generally "look" even larger on very small framed women with little breast tissue.

Also, you mention a 500 cc moderate profile "gummy bear" implant.  Although, technically most of us reserve the term "gummy bear" to describe a tear drop shaped implant it sounds as if you are talking about a round implant, correct?  You may want to clarify this.

Best of luck.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

500 cc breast implants are very large for a small framed woman

Based on your body measurements I agree with your friends that 500 cc implants could well look huge on you.

In addition if you have a very small amount of your own breast tissue very large breast implants could even look more artificial.

There are many important issues that go into the choice of a size of breast implants.  You need a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who will take breast and body measurements, and also use a breast implant sizing system to allow you to see how you will look with various sized breast implants.

In my practice I rarely use implants larger than 350 cc on someone with your height and weight measurements.

You can also do the Rice test in the privacy of your own home to see how you will look with various sizes of breast implants.  To learn more about how to choose the size of your breast implants please read the following link:

breast implant size selection.

Choosing  the right breast implant size for your frame  is something that is difficult to advise on without photographs or physical examination. I recommend that you have a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a 3-D imaging system to help you visualize what the implant may look like on your own body. Each persons body, breast size and goals are different. It is important to choose an implant that fits within the width of your breast and one that fits the goals for your outcome.