2 Months Post Breast Augmentation Uneven? (photo)

Hello! I recently had a breast augmentation a few days shy of two months ago. My left breast has dropped very nicely but right one has not only not seemed to drop very much it actually looks much smaller than the left. I had 380 cc's under the muscle sientra implants. Please any advice would be really appreciated. I've included a before, one month post op, and one from today(a few days away from two months)

Post-op breast augmentation

It is too early to get excited. It will take 3-4 months for the final result to be apparent. From your photos, the asymmetry you have now is similar to pre-op asymmetry, but it will soften over time and not be as obvious.

Changes take place for 3-6 months post-op.

The period of time immediately following breast augmentation surgery is characterized by rapid change. During this period of time swelling, muscle spasm, inflammation and the wound healing process itself all contribute to changes in the appearance of a woman’s breasts.In some cases, swelling, muscle spasm can displace breast implants in a superior direction when implants are placed beneath the muscle.
Your pictures demonstrate a superiorly malpositioned breast implant with a tight pocket which makes the implant look smaller than the opposite side. This can occur for a variety of reasons including muscle spasm and swelling, under dissection of the inferior breast pocket, and early capsular contracture.
With time, assuming adequate pocket dissection, these implants might return to a more normal position.Sometimes, the use of a bandeau superiorly and massage may facilitate this process.
It may take 3 to 6 months for your right implant to drop into normal position.If no progress has occurred by then, revisional surgery may be necessary.This would involve re-creating the lower portion of the breast pocket.
It’s important to have good communication with your surgeon.Make sure he’s aware of your concerns.He’s familiar with the specifics of your surgery and will be able to give you appropriate direction.

Asymmetry Following Augmentation

Nipple position, inframammary fold position, and other anatomic features that demonstrate asymmetry before surgery may very well demonstrate asymmetry following surgery.  

The best option when questions arise post-operatively is to call your own surgeon. Have him or her evaluate you and address your concerns as only they know exactly what was done during surgery as well as what your discussions, concerns and expectations were before surgery.

Having another surgeon, who knows none of this, address these questions is unfair to your own surgeon and may provide you with misinformation that will yield more confusion and concern and potentially strain the relationship with your own surgeon.

Breast Augmentation and High Implant

The right implant is higher and does appear smaller.  However, if the pocket is tight, this would explain the look.  The difficulty will be getting the implant down in the next 2 months or so.  If after 6 months the breast looks the same, the pocket can be opened.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Hughes Breast Augmentation Los Angeles, CA

Yes I agree that the right breast has not/nor will it drop. You will need revision of the right inferior quadrant. 

Breast Asymmetry

Preoperative breast asymmetries are not all correctable when doing an augmentation, especially when the inframammary folds are different and/or one breast is more lateral on the chest than the other.  In fact, some asymmetries are more noticeable when the breast are larger.  Your results are due to your asymmetry present preoperatively.  Sometimes, a minor revision can improve the asymmetry, but you likely will never be able to make them exactly even.  I would recommend that you discuss the issue with your plastic surgeon.

Uneven?

I am wondering if one of the post op photos was taken in a mirror--it is hard to make sense of the change otherwise. Please clarify.

There clearly is asymmetry in the before photo, and this is often more apparent in the enlarged breasts after surgery. The left breast is lower before surgery, and is still lower after, at least on the far right photo. At two months it is still too early to assume they have both dropped, so some patience is in order. If the difference persists and is unsatisfying, consider reposting with a new post op in a month or two. 

If nothing changes, a revision surgery can make better symmetry. What to do depends upon which breast seems right to you. Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Breast Augmentation

Dear Real Self reader:

Which breast do you like better?  I would need more details to fully answer your question.  You had asymmetry before the surgery as you can see. The immediate postop photo also shows the left breast to be higher as does the preop photo. The delayed after shows the left breast implant to be much lower.  

Jay H. Ross, MD, FACS
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

You can see from the photographs that the left breast implant is lower than the right. What is the cause of the right being higher is it a tighter pocket or is it a capsular contracture? What I would suggest is a thorough examination by your surgeon. It could take up to six months before you decide what to in order for the healing process to be complete. At that point your surgeon may want to lower the right breast implant for whatever the cause or slightly elevate the pocket on the left implant also . Good luck 

Asymmetry

You have pre existing asymmetry and this is also reflected post operatively. The infra mammary crease appears higher post op on the right but i need to see a photo with your arms elevated to be more precise. You are early in the post op period. Give your breasts more time to heal.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS