I Had 10cc of Fat Put into Each of my Cheeks over a Year Ago, and It is Still Overinflated. What Should I Do?

I am only 30 years old, so I think my PS put in too much. I do not want to back to him to fix this. The asymmetry of my cheeks is noticeable, and right under my cheeks, the hollows seem to be more defined. This makes me look older or skeleton like, and crooked. Is it better to take out fat out of a cheek or use fillers to fill in under my cheeks? Does anyone specialize this in the bay area, CA?

Doctor Answers 3

I Had 10cc of Fat Put into Each of my Cheeks over a Year Ago, and It is Still Overinflated. What Should I Do?

 This is one of the reasons that I quit using fat transfer (fat injections) to augment and shape the face over 20 years ago....the fat injected in simply not anywhere near as reliable as off the shelf fillers of Facial Implants.  In facial beauty, the proper aesthetics are key to shaping the cheeks, chin, and jaw line to the exact size and shape.  

 Injected fat can and does, IMHO of using it in hundreds of cases in 1990 and 1991 do any of the following: all of it goes away, only a small amount goes away (less often) and some of it goes away unevenly.  None of these outcomes can achieve the proper aesthetic shape of the cheeks.

 I'd have to see photos, of your face, or you in person to judge where and how much residual fat remains.  The residual fat can be reduced using micro-liposuction and then the proper cheek shape obtained with fillers or cheek implants to create the appropriate cheek shape.

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Overinflated cheeks with fat grafting.

Overinflated cheeks with fat grafting is a frequent problem that we answer almost every day on this site. You need to be seen to determine if you would be better with filler or removal of fat.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Fillers or fat removal

Liposuction can be used to correct this, or fillers to balance out the asymmetry. Either way you would need to see a PS to help you.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 137 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.