Are my Cheeks Sunken In? I Am 21 And Notice Aging in My Face. (photo)

I'm only 21 and I have already noticed some aging on my face. For some reason, the area toward my lip sticks out and is really noticeable in certain lighting. What is this from? I tried doing some research on it but could not find out what it is called. So I guess my two main questions are: What is this called? and what can I do to correct it? Will Retin A help?

Doctor Answers 5

Sunken Cheeks

To me it looks like your cheek bones are just under developed. This technically called malar hypoplasia and I would say you have a mild case. Sometimes this can be associated with true jaw under development and may help to explain any dental abnormality if you have any. improvement can be obtained in a number of ways. The most predictable long lasting results are obtained with cheek implants. While this sounds a bit extreme - they really work well. There are other non-surgeical procedures that use fillers. This should get you started on the right track. By the way, you have great looking lips. People pay to get lips to look like yours!

Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 77 reviews

Sunkin Cheeks

At age 21 your lack of cheek fullness and contour is not due to aging but an inherited unwanted characteristic. Cheek implants, which are placed through an incision in your mouth, will improve the projection of your midface.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Are my Cheeks Sunken In? I Am 21 And Notice Aging in My Face.

 Yes, from the photos your cheeks do appear flat.  The best remedy, IMHO, is Cheek Augmentation with fillers or Cheek Implants of the proper size and shape to create a naturally more aesthetic cheek and attractive face.  

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Cheek implants for under developed cheeks.

Cheek implants for under developed cheeks are your best and cheapest way of fixing your problem. Fillers would have to be done repeatedly and have their own set of problems.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Nonsurgical Cheek and Midface Rejuvenation Works Well For Recontouring Flattened and Hollow Cheeks

In most cases, flattening of the cheeks and mid-facial depressions result from the loss of fat and shifting in the positioning of the remaining amounts of the fat pads in these areas with aging. Actual bone loss from the cheek bones and from those in the central face may also contribute to the appearance of flattening and/or hollows. Abnormal flattening of the facial bones can occasionally be present at birth, i.e. a congenital abnormality.

Whatever the cause, these days, hollowed cheeks and flattened cheek bones can be easily treated nonsurgically with the use of injectable volumizing fillers, such as Radiesse and Perlane L or a combination of these agents. Whether or not the flattened or sunken areas were there from birth or developed afterward, an experienced injector can mold and shape the volumizing agents to create cheeks and midfacial contours that look entirely natural and fit the overall underlying bony structure. Doing so takes an artistic eye and an experienced hand, so be certain to seek out a board certified cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon who can show you his/her own befores and afters.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.