Professional Participation on RealSelfOur goal is to build the most comprehensive and trusted community for consumers considering any elective cosmetic procedure, from the least invasive treatments to the most extraordinary surgical procedures. Our intention is to be a neutral platform that presents consumers with the information and options available to help them make informed and confident health and beauty decisions.
All providers must meet our Healthcare Professional Listing Criteria and must administer treatments or services discussed on RealSelf in order to be approved to join and participate in our community.
What Is a Core Aesthetic Doctor?The term "core aesthetic doctor" is widely used to distinguish doctors within specialty areas of medical training, certification, and practice that require those doctors to possess demonstrable knowledge and skill performing a variety of cosmetic procedures and diagnosing related conditions. As such, RealSelf recognizes core aesthetic doctors with a unique CORE badge acknowledging their specialized training. The core aesthetic specialties are:
- Dermatologic Surgeon
- Plastic Surgeon
- Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Oculoplastic Surgeon
As used on RealSelf.com, the terms "board certified" and "board certification" refer only to medical doctors and doctors of osteopathy who have earned specialty certification from an ABMS member board or a recognized non ABMS board approved by our medical advisory board.
Listing criteria for various countries are verified on a country by country basis.
Healthcare Professional Listing Criteria
1. Maintain good standingRealSelf maintains its right to deny, suspend activity or entirely remove HCPs who meet the above-referenced criteria should they no longer maintain a good standing with state licensing agencies or boards (including the presence of open complaints ). Additionally, these actions may be taken should we have reason to believe that an HCP has misreported or misrepresented his or her qualifications, credentials, memberships, patient testimonials, etc., or if his or her past license history or activity within RealSelf violates the professional standards of the RealSelf community. Since an HCP’s standing with medical authorities is not easily attained, we ask members of the community to contact us to report concerns.
2. Abide by participation rulesAll approved HCPs must abide by our Healthcare Professional Terms of Service in order to maintain eligibility. RealSelf offers trained healthcare professionals a unique opportunity to help consumers make informed decisions. It's not a place for providers to self-promote. Thus, we do not allow postings that are commercially motivated. Additionally, HCP participation (e.g. posting before and after photos and answering consumer questions) is strictly aligned with their board certification, specialty, licensing and/or training. In particular, participation in topics relating to surgical procedures is restricted to HCPs who have relevant board certifications.
3. Actively participate in the communityUpon meeting criteria 1-2, an HCP may join RealSelf and begin to participate. An active HCP has updated his or her profile page on RealSelf and answered at least one question posed by a community member.
Core Aesthetic Specialty Definitions
- This specialty may be selected by or on behalf of any actively licensed MD or DO who is certified in dermatology by the ABD, RCPSC or AOBD.
- Certification must be verified through the ABMS, RCPSC or AOBD.
- This specialty may be selected by or on behalf of any actively licensed MD or DO who meets the RealSelf criteria for designation as a "Dermatologist," and who is also a member of the ASDS or CSDS.
- Certification must be verified through the ABMS, RCPSC or AOBD. Membership must be verified through the ASDS or CSDS.
- This specialty may be selected by or on behalf of any actively licensed MD or DO who is certified in plastic surgery by the ABPS, AOBS or RCPSC.
- Candidate members of ASPS or ASAPS are eligible upon verification of candidate membership.
- Certification must be verified through the ABMS, AOA or RCPSC.
- This specialty may be selected by or on behalf of any actively licensed MD or DO who is certified in facial plastic surgery by the ABFPRS or RCPSC. In addition, surgeons certified in head, neck and throat surgery by the ABOto or AOBOOHNS and have completed an AAFPRS fellowship also qualify.
- Certification must be verified through the ABFPRS, ABMS, AOCOOHNS, RCPSC or ABOto. Fellowships must be verified through AAFPRS.
- This specialty may be selected by or on behalf of any actively licensed MD or DO who is certified in head, neck and throat surgery by the ABOto or AOBOOHNS.
- Certification must be verified through the ABOto or AOCOOHNS.
- This specialty may be selected by or on behalf of any actively licensed MD or DO who meets the RealSelf criteria for designation as an "Ophthalmologist," and who has also completed an ASOPRS-approved fellowship or is an approved member of ASOPRS.
- Certification must be verified through the ABMS or RCPSC. Fellowship completion and/or membership must be verified through the ASOPRS.
RealSelf Healthcare Professional Listing Criteria may be updated or revised at any time, without notice, at the sole discretion of RealSelf.
Join over 13,000 healthcare professionals active on RealSelfIf you meet our listing criteria, learn more about the benefits of RealSelf.
Read our blog for fresh social media insights for doctors