5 Things to Consider Before Having a Facelift
Facelifts can take years, sometimes even decades off of your face. They can do wonders for self esteem. How do you know when it’s time? Here are five things to consider before having surgery:
- 1.Have my non-surgical options have run out? There are so many great fillers and neurotoxins on the market today that can do miracles for the face and neck. These products directly target fine lines, wrinkles and depressions in the face due to lack of volume. Have you consulted with a board certified plastic surgeon and taken advantage of all of these great options? Fillers that combat hollowness and products that temporarily prohibit facial muscles from creating lines are a great place to start and can make a dramatic difference.
- 2.Facelifts entail significant downtime. Expect to spend about 10-14 days out of the public eye and resting. You will be bruised and swollen and you will have drains. Do you have the time to spend resting and recuperating and do you have a caregiver that can lend a hand?
- 3.Good skincare makes a world of difference. Properly washing your face and using good, quality skincare products makes a huge difference to your skin. Patients that have established a good routine prior to surgery and taken care of their skin will be even more pleased with their facelift surgery. Similarly, continuing with medical grade products after facelift surgery can prolong your results.
- 4.Facelifts don’t last forever. You can expect your results to last several years, but sadly, as time goes on, you will experience changes to your face. Factors such as age at time of surgery, skin elasticity, skin quality, weight gain or loss and genetics all play a part in the longevity of your facelift.
- 5.What are your concerns? It is so important to find a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust and can discuss your areas of concerns, one who spends a good deal of the consultation going over what bothers you most and what can realistically be obtained through plastic surgery. Dr. Brown wants to establish realistic expectations so you will be thrilled with your results. If he doesn’t think that you are a good candidate for a facelift, he will discuss alternatives with you at your consultation.