Week 2+ - West Orange, NJ

I was in an accident two weeks ago and broke my...

I was in an accident two weeks ago and broke my nose and eye socket. I also had a laceration on my forehead that required 30+ stitches and is healing well. At the time of my accident I saw Dr. Peck in the ER and he had stated that my nose could possibly be snapped back into place. Once I saw him for follow up, however, he stated I would need surgery to fix the break and realign my nose. It's pretty bad.

I had always thought about a nose job, but had learned to accept my nose as a part of me. It is unique, but many people have been attracted to me for having a rather prominent nose (yes people have said that believe it or not). I was initially just going to have my nose popped back into place considering it is the least invasive treatment. Regardless of the method needed to fix my nose, I knew I wanted my nose back to how it was pre-accident. Having my glasses sit crooked on my face is not something I could live with. Since Dr. Peck deemed I would need surgery to correct the break, I have elected to have some additional refinements done. Considering I have to endure an invasive procedure to fix my nose, which is not an option to skip, why not have a little touch me up? "Kill two birds with one stone."

I am getting nervous though. I hope he does a great job and makes me look like a better version of myself. I do not want to look plastic or artificial. My mother has friends who had horrible results with rhinoplasty, but I believe it was due in part to having very unrealistic expectations for how they should look. Dr. Peck was able to identify my concerns with my nose and inform me how he would address them. He made it clear that I had to be realistic, which I am. He also understood me when I repeatedly said I just want to look like me, but more refined. My examples of the procedure I like is that of Jennifer Aniston's. While I do not want her nose, I think the surgeon did a great job because he subtly enhanced her natural beauty. I feel like he will do a great job and just enhance my appearance.

But I'm still scared. My mother is flying out to be with me for the surgery and help me for a few days post op. My fiance will also be there and he has been amazing through this whole ordeal, but he sure deserves a break. I am blessed to have people who love me for me, regardless of me choosing to do this surgery. I am so lucky to have a man who makes it clear that if I choose not to fix the break he will still love me and think I am the most beautiful girl in the world.

It will be ok because it has to be. I'm staying positive.

In less than 12 hours my mother will be here and...

In less than 12 hours my mother will be here and at this time tomorrow I will put my trust and faith in the plastic surgery team. At this point I am feeling positive. These past few days at work have been difficult since EVERYONE has a comment on how I look now. I am going through with this, however, for me. I want to feel positive and beautiful again. My nose crooked is just not something that I would have been able to be happy with so this is the right decision for me.

The surgery was completed by this afternoon, but I...

The surgery was completed by this afternoon, but I cannot fall asleep. I'm wondering if this is a side effect of Percocet? I have no idea how I look under all this gauze and tape, but I'm feeling hopeful.

End of Post Op Day 1 Today was rough. I was...

End of Post Op Day 1

Today was rough. I was not taking as much Percocet as I should have so the pain was quite intense (I blame my mom since she didn't read the RX label, but technically neither did I). I took 1.5 pills of Percocet instead of 1 around 10pm and I am now feeling good, a little loopy, but good nonetheless. I am going to keep taking this pain medication around the clock because I can't focus, function, or sleep when the pain breaks through. I took out the packing in my nose today, which was easy (yes I did it myself), but scary because I did not know what was going to come out of each nostril. My nose seems to be running, but I have just kept the gauze taped under my nose to catch any discharge. I'm feeling very tired now so goodnight. I survived day 1.

Today is Post Op Day 2. I am very tired and...

Today is Post Op Day 2. I am very tired and nauseous today. Without the Percocet I am in pain so I am not sure what to do about the nausea because it is just lingering. The best position I find is propped up on the couch with lots of pillows, but even then it is hard to get comfortable. I have not actually thrown up, but my stomach is very upset (I think this might also be due to the fact that I have not gone to the bathroom). My nose does not hurt as much as I feel a lot of pressure. My nostrils, however, are painful due to the stitches. Further my ear is quite painful, swollen, and tender to the touch since they had to take cartilage from my ear to support my nose. While I had been informed that this might be an option, the doctor had assured me that he would not need to take cartilage from my ear so that was somewhat disappointing.

At this point I'm just trying to stay comfortable and out of pain. Percocet really messes with your stomach.

I have added a picture from the recovery room. I look dead sexy.

Today is Post Op Day 5 I have not been updating...

Today is Post Op Day 5

I have not been updating like I should. I go through periods where I start to feel better and then the pain medication wears off and I feel crummy. I had a lot of trauma going into the surgery so I am thinking (and thank you everyone for your suggestions) that the preexisting accident contributed to the increased pain. Or I am just a wuss.

Today is Post Op Day 5

I'm still taking the Percocet and I am able to get a good 6 hours sleep. Also I finally took a BM and that was after days of taking stool softener and laxatives, which I do not recommend. In the future I would skip those meds until I was desperate to go to the bathroom since they just upset my stomach and I have a sensitive tummy to begin with.

My throat is still slightly swollen. The bruising and swelling under my eyes is very minimal. What's under my cast I cannot tell...

Tomorrow I get my cast off and I'm starting to worry. I do realize that my nose is not going to look like the finished product in less then a week, but I am hoping it is straight and proportionate. It will be nice to get the stitches out in both my nose and ear since they are driving me nuts (itchy and sore to the touch / with movement). My forehead is itching like crazy so I think that is a good sign that the laceration is healing. Only time will tell. And by time I mean 24 hour and change!

I have still note rated Dr. Peck because I would like to first see the finished product. Hopefully tomorrow I will have better idea of things.

Today has been one week since my surgery. I...

Today has been one week since my surgery. I should post pictures, but I don't have the energy to get "cute." These last few days I have had little energy to do anything, let alone try to compose a post.

Yesterday I had my cast removed, which was incredibly painful since the tape had melted to my skin. My forehead and nose are still covered in a sticky residue that I cannot get off. I've tried everything from soap and water to astringent, but the tape will not budge. My nose is far too sensitive to keep touching so the tape can win (for now).

To say I cried when I first saw my new nose is an understatement. I hysterically broke down, but overall I was really happy. My fear was that my nose would come out poorly or significantly change how I look. I still look like me, but with a cuter, shorter (and really swollen) nose. The change is subtle, but done well. It is still scary because it has only been a week and this is not the finished product. For the amount of work I had done, it appears that I will look a lot better by this time next week, but the full results will take months. My doctor is having me return for post op pictures at 3 months since he feels this is the time when most people can really see and appreciate their new nose. I am happy now, but I will be a lot happier once this swelling has subsided and I can fully smile again.

I will attempt to post pictures soon.

Today is post op day 10. Everywhere I go people...

Today is post op day 10.

Everywhere I go people look at me like I am a domestic violence victim. The two bruises under my eyes don't help. And I've tried all my makeup tricks, but I can't conceal this dark bruising. I tend to be a bruiser though so I was not shocked to see bruising. If anything I have had less bruising then I had initially anticipated.

I was still quite swollen in the face up until yesterday. While I am still swollen today, I have noticed a huge improvement in just the last few days. I keep thinking if this is the worst my nose will look, then that is ok with me. If anything the change was so subtle that I have not had a problem adjusting to my new (and improved) nose.

I did have a glass of wine last night and do not find myself to be more swollen today, which is good. While I really want to get back to my exercise, I am following the doctor's orders and abstaining from cardio for 3 weeks total. Staying inside and not exercising is making me a little depressed. It is hard to go from active to couch potato, but I don't want to damage anything. I desperately want to feel like myself again, but I have to keep reminding myself that I need time for my body and mind to heal.

It had been 2 weeks and 4 days since my surgery. ...

It had been 2 weeks and 4 days since my surgery. I'm still bruised and very swollen. Despite looking puffier than normal, I am pleased with the results and look forward to the changes that will occur each week.

The hardest part of recover for me (at this point at least) has been not being able (or allowed) to exercise. I'm very body conscious, and find exercise to be a huge mood elevator, so this last week I've felt a little low. I've been a good girl though, and have abstained from exercise per my doctors orders. Since I am a bleeder, I would rather be safe and prevent any possible complications like hemorrhaging (and yes, that happens). For now I am just going to have the Fat Bastard mentality: "I eat because I'm sad and I'm sad because I eat."

Today was my first day back at work. I took a full two and a half weeks off and a total of 5 weeks plus in all from the accident. I'm a nurse. My job is physically and emotionally demanding. Taking the time off was really necessary for my healing. I would advise anyone having an open rhinoplasty and or revision due to trauma to arrange to have the time off.

And I have posted some picturas.

The one thing I forgot to mention is how much the...

The one thing I forgot to mention is how much the cold bothers my nose. My poor little puppy says, "mommy, why can't we go on our long walks?" When I go out in the cold I feel like I just drank a slurpee and have awful brain freeze. Only the brain freeze from a slurpee goes away. As long as I'm outside in this frigid New Jersey weather I feel pain in my nose form the cold. I have forgotten to call Dr. Peck about this uncomfortable side effect, but I hope it goes away and so does the puppy.
Richard Peck

Dr. Peck stitched my laceration while I was in the ER.

You had a good face from the start so I knew a shorten nose length would call attention to that afterward! It has been while since you've updated your review. How does everything look now? How are you feeling?
Wow! Love, love, love it!
Your nose looks beautiful and did just what you wanted.... kept you looking like "you" but enhancing your overall appearance. You must be so thrilled! Any idea where he placed your ear cartilage? Can you feel it where it is? I ask because my revision will require some ear cartilage most likely. Enjoy your pretty nose!! :)
Thank you! He put the cartilage at the tip to create shape and add support. (I didn't have enough cartilage in my nose.) My nose feels a little hard at the tip, but it is getting softer each week. If you look at my nose or ear you have no idea he added ear cartilage. It's so weird! I'm sorry about your bad surgery :(
Aww thanks, I hope to have it all fixed in the near future so I am trying to hang in there in the meantime. Your nose looks great even with the swelling, so it is only going to get better!!! Yay :D
Your nose looks great! I want to comment on the issue you have with your nose getting cold since I had the same thing happen to me. I got my nose done in October and was not prepared for this annoying situation since I am a runner and live in New England. Until the nerves heal completely your nose is prone to frostbite so I was told by my surgeon to be very careful of exposure to cold for the year following my surgery. I would wear a scarf or something over your nose until the weather warms up.. (I have been running in a ski mask all winter-ridiculous but it works!) Good luck!
Thank you! Is your nose still sensitive? BTW, I love your nose. GORGEOUS!
Thanks! My nose can definately tolerate the cold much better than several months ago. You're lucky the weather is about to turn warmer...Had I known about this side effect I may have had the surgery a different time of year!
Holy moses, you look AMAZING! I can't even put into words how much your new nose suits you and flatters your other features!
Awww, thanks Sarah! :)
You look great!
Thank you. I'm so glad I fixed my nose. Did you ever get yours fixed?
you look sooo pretty!!! congrats! :)
Thank you!
You look so beautiful! congratulations
Thank you! So kind of you. I can't wait to see your results.
You look gorgeous! And it can only get better. :)
Thank you. I think you have a beautiful nose, but if you are serious about rhinoplasty I would look up Dr. James Anthony. Excellent surgeon in SF!
He has some pretty bad reviews. How did you hear about him? His before and afters look good though.
I've had friends go to him for nose, lips, and breasts and I think he did an amazing job on all of them.
Wow you are doing so well and can only keep improving. Your nose looks gorgeous and it won't be long until the bruising completely goes. I can relate to people looking like you have been abused. I am 8 weeks and my bruising has been gone for ages, however last week I was surprised to see a hint still there when I saw myself in a mirror with Fluro lighting. Do take it slow; I resumed normal life at two weeks and ended up harmorrhaging (took a week for bleeding to completely cease) and due to this have had to abstain from exercise, singing, lifting, etc for another 6 weeks after bleeding stopped. Only a week to go then I can finally get this body moving again. Take care and I wish you all the best for your recovery.
Sorry, no idea why this went in twice!?!
Oh my goodness. I hope you are ok? I'm assuming you are, but how scary! I will definitely follow your advice. I love the pictures on your site. You are looking beautiful!