Injectables the Good, Bad and Ugly

I hope the pictures attach to this saga. A few...

I hope the pictures attach to this saga.

A few years ago I had Restylane for the nasolabial lines and Botox for the crow’s feet. I have wanted to try something that would last longer than Botox and I needed something for the lines under my eyes.

I went to a PS who specializes in faces. He is very well known in the Florida Space Coast area. I had slight lines in the nasolabial folds, a noticeable furrow brown line, laugh lines around my eyes and these horrible lines under my eyes. After meeting with me, he recommended a mixture of Botox and Juvederm. His reasoning for the Botox for the brow area is that the muscle is strong and it would help the Juvederm last longer. I also had Botox on my forehead.

The procedure was very painful around the eyes and the brow area. It also cost $1,500 which is pretty expensive.

After reading the comments, I originally wrote some feedback about how wonderful everything is. The next morning after the injections, I had the beginning of a bad nightmare. I took photo’s everyday and as you will see, my face ended up looking like a freak show for quite awhile. Monday December 22nd was day 14. It was also the first day that I could go out in public without my hair covering my face and looking down.

I wish I had known that the recovery time was going to be weeks instead of days. I had everything from numb gums to black eyes. Last Monday (day seven) I went to the doctor asking him to give me the shot to remove the Juvederm. He told me to wait another week and if I was still unhappy he would remove the Juvederm. He was right, I am very pleased with the way they are turning out.

The good news is my mouth, brow and forehead looked great from the first day. I am becoming very happy with the results from the eyes. Today (day 15) I look great. I hope the pictures help someone who may be going through the fear of looking like a freak after getting these injections. Ignore the eyebrows, I was not going to have them waxed with all the eye swelling going on.

The first picture was taken two days before the injections. Due to space, I just gave the "highlights" of my eye drama.

Update. December 31, 2008.  I just wanted to...

Update. December 31, 2008.  I just wanted to give an update about the Juvederm I had done on December 8, 2008.  The swelling was gone by the third week and I totally love my results.  My eyes look terrific.  The lines between the brows are gone, and the wrinkles are gone under the eyes and crows feet.  Now that I know the recovery is alot longer than advertised, I will plan better next time.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

He is one of the best in the area. When I called daily to report how terrible I looked, the staff was caring. They let me come in to the office numerous times and kept up the encouragement.

my eyes look like day and it's been 15 months i massage them every day and it won't go away
Ariesfire, although it's been almost a year, I find your posts extremely helpful and encouraging while I'm waiting for this juvederm to settle in. I also experienced extreme puffiness after a week, same as your photos indicated on your 7th post-injection day. My bruising is fading; it's the contours that horrify. Plan to update on the 21st day, when I meet with doctor.
Make sure you google this guy before accepting medical treatment. he is not what he says he is.
I have an appointment in 3 days for Juvederm and I am wording if it can be felt under the skin. Is there hard bumps around the mouth or where it is injected? I worry I will have a hard nodule under my skin and that will bother me.
Oh my god, I too am wondering if having Crohn's (or ulcerative colitis, or other autoimmune diseases) would affect Juvederm results? I am fairly new to Crohn's, and have occasional Erythema Nodosum - extraintestinal effects, red large bumps on limbs - so am thinking perhaps this is NOT the route to go. But, please, others, chime in!
I have Crohn's and it is under control. I am not taking any medications and I can go for awhile without any medications. I am considering Botox and/or Juvederm for my frown lines and smile lines. Does anyone have any experience or know of anyone who has IBD and had Botox or Jevederm done? Of so, could you share the result? Thanks for your help.
I don't have Crohn', but have a mild IBS. I have been getting Juvederm for naso fold lines and experience no problem.
I just had juvederm done 01-17-09, at 9:30 this morning. It is now 8:00 pm. Every hour my face looks better and better. I suggest to keep from lumping up. message the area at will. I am glad I removd the frown line. I look and feel youngerless than 24 hours.
You look great!
I agree with you. After reading countless reviews on Juvederm it seems to come down to the doctor. I picked mine based on knowing many people who rave about him. I noticed that mine cost alot more, but I am thrilled with the results. My nasolabial folds and corners of my mouth looked great from day one. I am sorry that this happened to you. I agree, I wouldn't go back to that doctor to have anything else done.
Who did you go to?
Thinking about Juvaderm, Botox, or ..... Can anyone tell me about the length of time before more injections to maintain? Thanks
I had Juvederm done on Dec.19 2008.I had some bruising around the lip area the next day.I started seeing the lines appear again and by the 3 day I looked the same as I did before I had the procedure done. I went back to the doctor who did it and was told to wait 2 weeks and drink plenty of water. I contacted the doctor again to let her know I look the same as when I first went i.She suggested I have laser procedure done and that would help with some age spot and the fine lines and would help the juvederm but at the cost of another 625.00dollars. I have a hard time believing that if I had that done what is going to say that it will work??So I ask you, If you have something wrong with you car you would take it in to be fixed right? If you got the car back and it still had the same problem they would fix it. So why can't they do the right thing and fix what they did not? MONEY MONEY! I was not happy and would never recommend going there to ANYONE!! I have a sister who went somewhere else and she looks great, so I guess it depends on who does it and if they want to make things right and not all money, money. I hope be fore anyone else spends a lot of money they need to find out the fact. I just want the readers to know I did check everything out before I did it.
where did you go? where did your sister go?
well. it does look alot better as the weeks went by,I can however see your original unhappiness in the days following the procedure, hope things remain good for you.....everything looks great!
When I went in for my juvederm injection, the nurse accidentally shot the gel from the syringe onto my face, left side. The next day, and for the next 8 days, my face looked like I had had acid thrown on it. Red, splotchy, painful, swollen with blisters are around the area where the gel hit. The Dr. tried to say it was shingles, but you have to have had chicken pox to get shingles. This was messed up and my face may suffer scarring because of it.
About a month after I had juvederm I had blisters at both injection cites on the sides of my mouth. When the blisters broke little hair-like pieces of juvederm were coming out of my face. The blisters increased until I had a sore about 1 inch long and 3/4 of inch wide with the juvederm still coming out. When I notified the company who makes juvederm and told them what was going on, they asked if I had an autoimmune disease. They didn't want to see me, I would have gladly driven to their offices for help. Instead they suggested I go to a dermatologist. Which I did and found that these reactions are more common than the makers of juvederm want to admit. I also found that I do not have an autoimmune disease, but I have been left with some pretty ugly scars on my face which still have not healed after almost eight months. The makers of juvederm offered no assistance to help me with this mess, they wouldn't even look at it. Charging that I must have something else going on. The doctor I saw confirmed that it is the juvederm.
Juvederm could not have caused this problem.