This is really happening! - Walnut Creek, CA

For over 15 years I have been thinking to to...

For over 15 years I have been thinking to to myself, what does my REAL nose look like under this big thing on my face? Not that I hate myself for having this nose, nor do I blame my father for passing it down to me. I actually like how I look and have a very blessed life. I'm sure many of you can relate, my nose just does not feel like it belongs on my face.

To make matters worse, at age 16 I was hit directly in the center of my nose with an elbow while playing soccer. I could feel my nose moving back and forth but did not, for some unknown reason, feel the need to seek medical attention at the time.

I thought about surgery in the past but assumed it would never be a reality for me. I'm a Northern California girl, I grew up with the Idea that plastic surgery was an "LA" thing to do; however, I don't remember anyone specifically telling me this. A few years ago I watched the entire series of Nip/Tuck, which is entertaining but so very far from reality, and I do not recommend anyone watch if planning to have surgery.

This year something clicked. I'm at a really good place in my life and career and I know that surgery will not make my nose perfect and that is ok. I'm not looking for perfection just an improvement. I decided that I was going to do this because it did not matter what anyone said or thought about my decision. I knew that my family and friends would support my decision.

After doing my research, I found a doctor in the SF area and contacted his office. The patient coordinator was amazing. She called me back and shared her personal experience with rhinoplasty.

I had my consultation on May 31st. I knew when I walked into the doctor's office that I was on the right track. It was just a consult to obtain as much info as possible. He examined my nose on the inside as well and it turns out that I have a deviated septum and something else which requires a turbinectomy. I told him that I do not like the bulbous tip, and I swear it has gotten bigger in the last few years. He assured me that I was not imagining things, cartilage actually continues to grow as we age. If I don't like my nose now, by the time I'm 50 I really won't like it!

I went home that afternoon and played out every scenario in my mind, of what it would be like to have a surgery, how I would look after surgery, how I would feel, what if there were complications, how was I going to pay...and the list goes on.

When I look back at my life over the years, while I know this is an insecurity, I have actually faulted my nose as the root of any missed opportunities. I am tried of letting my negative thoughts dictate my day to day decisions so I'm going to do something about it.

I have scheduled Septorhinoplasty and Turbinectomy for August 3, 2012 and I am very anxious and excited about it. I'm a hesitant about posting too many pictures. I will probably add a few more, just not sure yet.

I have made arrangement at work for the time off and now I just need to enjoy the last month or so with this long time frenemy - my nose.

- Hanna

Thank you very much Hanna! I thought I had done my research beforehand but wish I knew then what I know now. I'm so glad you found RealSelf as there's a lot of good information on here if you look enough. Best wishes that it turns out perfect for you!
Hi Hanna, I highly recommend finding a very experienced rhinoplasty specialist or facial plastic surgeon verses a doctor who may be good in other areas of the body but has very little or no experience in rhinoplasty. Your story sounds a too much like mine "The patient coordinator was amazing. She called me back and shared her personal experience with rhinoplasty." and end up with heartbreaking results like I did. Some offices are very sales oriented, will sale anything, and have dishonest employees regardless of how warm and kind they appear. Do tons of homework...there are a lot of very skilled doctors out there but watch out for those looking for someone to practice on. Digital imaging is important as well to make sure you and the doctor are on the same page. You'll want natural looking results...not a nose that you can no longer breathe through or that has dents and screams plastic surgery. It is totally worth paying for a consultation so don't let that keep you away from the best doctors. If you read yelp reviews, be sure to read the filtered reviews as well and you can even try contacting these people to get addtional information. I've gotten very good feedback on Dr. Kim and Dr. Most as I am looking to find a PS for my revision. Good luck to you.
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your concerns and advice. I realize there are many doctors that may not be honest and I'm sorry that your doctor was not who you thought he was and his work was not at all what you had asked for. I wish you the best of luck finding a PS to do your revision! Positive thoughts!

So I'm getting really anxious and can't stop...

So I'm getting really anxious and can't stop thinking about the procedure. Is this normal? I have read so many of your stories and I'm thankful to know that I'm not alone. I know what it's like to not want to wear my hair up or away from my face, and I totally do the hand thing over my nose when I'm driving so the car along side cannot see my profile. I know that these thing sound silly to people that don't share my problem.

Thanks to everyone for sharing. This is a really personal thing and I know how emotional it can be.

34 days from now I will have a new nose. It feel so strange to say. I can't believe this is really happening.

Oh, BTW...I found a former patient who had Rhino with my PS. She actually works in my office! I couldn't believe it because her nose looks so natural! Didn't even know they had surgery. I was just taking about having surgery and she told me she had it done two years ago with the same PS.

Question...has anyone used Derma Blend Cover Cream to cover bruising? I have heard good things about it for scars and discoloring. I wonder if it really covers the dark bruises. I'd appreciate any tips on this subject. I bruise very easy and very dark.

I'll update after my Pre-op on June 19th!
Being worried about the surgery is totally normal. Read my review and you'll see I didn't sleep the night before mine :)

After I got through the operation I realized it wasn't that big of a deal at all, and in fact my wisdom teeth removal was a far worse experience.
Really? Private message me with the name if you don't mind. How are things going now? Are you still happy with the results?
I bought derma blend and will be trying it Wednesday (8 days post op!). I've tried HD foundation from Sephora. That covered 95% of my bruising, but my bruising is primarily just yellow now. I've used dermablend in the past and it works great!!

I found my doctor through a referral from my primary health physician and researched his background online.