Infection After Jaw Operation - United Kingdom, GB

Hi I like to tell you about my experience with my...

Hi I like to tell you about my experience with my reline jaw operation in November 2010. I was referred by my local dentist to NHS Hospital in Kent, for Orthodontics treatment.
My operation to place in November 2010, I was informed that it involved relining the lower jaw and using plates to reset it.

All seem to go o.k until a few months later when I started getting infection after infection I was referred back to hospital and had the left plate removed. This was in April 2011. But despite this plate being removed I still got infections and sore throats.

After suffering for a year I was admitted back to hospital in March of this year to have the other plates removed. They could not remove one of the plates due to it marrowing into the bone its self. I was suffering great pain after this operation.

Still the infection came back and the sore throats I cleaned my mouth with the mouth wash I was given and every thing. But I was advised that the infection was caused on the one plate that was still in my right side even tho the infection was on both sides!! Well a week ago I was eating as normal when I heard a crack and my left side jaw was so painful I was taking back in to hospital. As I write this I have my whole jaw wired up and the pain is really bad. I have been told I will have to go under a major operation to remove the last plate by breaking the jaw and rebuilding it. I never ever should of had this operation it was not life threatening. But I know now that my jaw will never ever be the same. Is there any one else out there who is going through what I am going through. i warn any one who is thinking of having this Operation to think twice.

Through my local Dentist