11 days post-op

I've disliked my nose since middle school when I...

I've disliked my nose since middle school when I developed a dorsal hump (I'm 23 now). I've always wondered if I broke my nose when I was little because no one else in my family has my nose. I was never teased about my nose, but I really realized that I hated it when I was getting my senior pictures done in high school. One of the "default" poses that my photographer does is a profile/silhouette pose... Ewww. No way did I purchase those few shots :) Anyway, now that I have a good job and have saved up, I'm ready to fix my nose!

After a ton of online research I booked a consultation with Dr. Golden. I met with him on July 17 and could tell right away he knew what he was doing. His calendar is booked solid with rhinoplasties (up to 6 every single week) and I like the look of his noses (straight with the tiniest bit of a slope and very elegant). He told me I had good skin (very thin, not thick) and would see great results. We talked about what I wanted to change (removal of dorsal hump, reduce projection) and then tentatively booked my surgery for August 17!

I'm putting my deposit down this week and have since been gathering all of my pre-op supplies. So far I've bought the following. If there's anything else I should pick up, I'd love all of the tips I can get! I don't personally know anyone else that has gotten PS, so I'm relying on the helpfulness of everyone at RealSelf :)

- Vitamin C
- Arnica pills + gel
- Non-mint toothpaste (apparently mint can counteract the effects of arnica, so I bought this nasty sounding Fennel toothpaste from the health store :)
- Multivitamin
- Handheld shower attachment thing so that I can wash my hair!
- Chapstick
- Vaseline
- Qtips
- I still need to buy bromelain, but is there anything else I'm missing?

Getting excited ... less than a month! :)

Only 3.5 more weeks to go! I've started taking...

Only 3.5 more weeks to go! I've started taking Vitamin C, Zinc, Biotin and a multi-vitamin religiously and have been eating very healthy. Minimal salt and no alcohol is a small price to pay for a quicker recovery!

I'm still in the excited phase, less of the anxious phase, but I'm sure I'll get there as the days dwindle down. The only thing I'm feeling a little nervous about is the car ride home. I live 2 hours away from the surgeon, and my boyfriend will be driving us home after the procedure. I really don't want to be nauseous and uncomfortable in a 2 hour car ride! Any tips? I know I'll bring water, some kind of crackers, and a bucket just in case! ;)

Lastly, I'm still trying to decide who I'm going to tell. What does everyone normally tell their boss/coworkers? I'm also debating not telling my parents as I'll be seeing them 1 month after the surgery and kind of want them to figure it out on their own :) Thanks for any advice!

I put down my deposit today--only 12 more days...

I put down my deposit today--only 12 more days until my pre-op! I'm going to add some "before" photos tonight when I get home from work.

Just added a couple before pics. At first I was...

Just added a couple before pics. At first I was nervous about recognition, but as others have said, anyone on RS is considering PS too! Not to mention that I don't like reading the reviews without photos, so I can't contribute another non-photo review :)

Things I'm hoping to improve on the side view: eliminate my dorsal hump for a straighter profile; deproject the tip, and a little bit of upward tip rotation. Things I'm hoping to improve on the front view: straighten/thin out bridge and I think the Dr. said he's going to "debulk" the tip a tiny bit.

I have my pre-op next Tuesday where I hope to solidify my plan with my doc. I'm confident he can improve my profile, but I'm more nervous about how the front view is going to turn out. Going to bring lots of examples!

Countdown to surgery: 18 days!

COUNTDOWN: 14 DAYS My surgery is in exactly 2...

COUNTDOWN: 14 DAYS

My surgery is in exactly 2 weeks and I'm getting more and more excited. My boyfriend and I are going out to eat and drink tonight as a last celebrate of sodium-laden restaurant foods and alcohol. After tonight, I'm sticking to healing, healthy foods (fruit, veggies, eggs, etc.) and water.

My pre-op is in 4 days. I'll get my prescriptions and show him the photos I like one last time. He's also writing me a prescription for Latisse, so I saved a dermatologist visit ... score! Side note: A lot of people cite a favorite celebrity nose. Lots of Jennifer Anistons and Megan Foxes. But my ideal nose is Hilary Duff's post-op nose. Very straight and feminine.

Question: Has anyone had a chin implant after a rhinoplasty? I know a lot of people get them during the same procedure, but my doc doesn't do chin implants. Does anyone have an idea as to how long to wait between procedures? Thanks!

COUNTDOWN: 9 DAYS I had my pre-op today. The...

COUNTDOWN: 9 DAYS

I had my pre-op today. The doctor had me come meet one of his patients that was there for her 2-week checkup. Her nose looked fantastic, and she told me she had literally no post-op pain; didn't even touch her pain meds!

I paid my balance, got my blood drawn for the blood work and got all of my prescriptions to fill before surgery. An antibiotic, Vicodin, a nasal ointment, acidophilus (to put good bacteria into the stomach) and Latisse (I will probably start another review on RS for this!).

Lastly we looked at the print outs of my photos from my initial consultation and reviewed the work that would be done. Basically the bump will be shaved, my nose will be broken and reset to thin and straighten my bridge, I'll have weir incisions to decrease my nostrils and he's going to straighten out my septum. I realized when I got home that we only looked at the front and 3/4 view, so I'm going to send an e-mail to make sure we're on the same page with the profile too. IMO the tip needs to be de-projected and rotated a tiny bit.

I'm very confident in my doctor and now I just feel very impatient ... I can't wait for my surgery!

COUNTDOWN: 3 DAYS Only 3 more days until...

COUNTDOWN: 3 DAYS

Only 3 more days until surgery and the days are draggging on. I'm excited and just want to get it over with at this point! I am trying to be as proactive as possible in regards to bruise/swelling prevention, so I feel like all I do is take pills these days! :) 3 days, out, I'm now taking daily:

- 1000mg Vitamin C
- 500mg Zinc
- Biotin
- A multivitamin
- Bromelain
- Arnica montana (5 tablets, 3 times per day)
- Acidophilus (3 times per day)
- Mupirocin Calcium Ointment 2% (applying inside the nose 3 times per day)

A small inconvenience, though, if any of these tactics help me heal faster!

COUNTDOWN: 1 DAY Very weird to think that in...

COUNTDOWN: 1 DAY

Very weird to think that in 24 hours I'll be 1 hour into my surgery. I don't feel nervous at all; I'm not sure that it's registered that tomorrow is the day! This week I made and froze big batches of Butternut Squash Soup and Tomato Bisque so I'll be all set with liquid foods for a week. I also stocked up on Naked smoothies and juices. I have a haircut tonight and am getting about 6 inches cut off to help throw people off the trail of "what's different?" post-surgery.

I think my PS and I are on the same page as to the aesthetic I'm going for, but I do hope I get sufficient time before surgery to confirm everything with him one last time. Wish me luck! :)

Surgery was almost a week ago and went perfect....

Surgery was almost a week ago and went perfect. Recovered in the office for an hour or so before my boyfriend drove me 1.5 hours home. No nausea in the car ride (or ever actually). Woke up super swollen day 2 .. could barely open my eyes. Got 2 black eyes, but they were super dark, more "green" eyes and they've already faded to yellow. Swelling in my face has dropped to my cheeks, but will probably be completely gone in 2-3 more days.

I got my cast off and sutures removed on Tuesday (4 days post-op). Was uncomfortable (and the numbing liquid tasted gross) but not painful at all. As for the nose ... I LOVE it. The profile is EXACTLY what I wanted. It's still super swollen so the front view isn't perfect, but I can see what it will look like when the swelling subsides and it's perfect. It's straight, not piggy and my nostrils are smaller.

For anyone looking to go with Dr. G, I can't recommend him and his staff enough! I'll post photos when the swelling goes down a little more. Marking my experience as "Worth it!"

12 DAYS POST-OP I had my second follow-up with...

12 DAYS POST-OP

I had my second follow-up with Dr. G today. He pulled out more gunk from my nose and one more stitch. My bruising is completely gone today and so is 98% of my facial swelling (not including my nose). I went back to work today and people who didn't know I had surgery didn't notice anything. So for those asking, 1 week off from work (including 2 weekends) seems adequate for a closed procedure.

My tip has noticeably dropped a little which is ok by me. Still considerable swelling in the bridge. My only complaint at this point is that my nose is filled with tiny whiteheads and blackheads. Dr. G recommended applying my leftover antibiotic ointment to the top of my nose to kill the bacteria. Crossing my fingers this will help. Will post photos soon!
Troy Facial Plastic Surgeon

I'm glad everything went well! It sounds like you're healing fast. I plan to return to work on day #10 so it's good that's sufficient. How are the Weir incisions healing up?
Thanks very much!
You're very welcome. Any time.
Hi,
I have my surgery scheduled on a Friday too and planing to return to work Monday after (10 days post), looking at yourself now that your surgery was 1 week ago tomorrow, do you think by Monday you would be able to go work and look presentable?
I think it depends on what your idea of presentable is. I had my surgery on the17th and had my cast removed today. I still have some bruising and swelling. It also would depend on what you're having done and your surgeon's methods. I experimented today with makeup trying to conceal, but it doesn't hide swollen areas, and the bruises, although lessened in appearance, are still visible. My profile looks fine, but from straight on the bridge of my nose is larger (swelling) and gives a strange effect. Personally, I think I would be ok returning to work, if I had already made arrangments to do so, but I also not personally concerned with looks or questions from others who notice something different. Maybe ask your surgeon/office what their opinion is? Hopefully they can give you an answer relative to what your own prodedure will be. Also, some surgeons require tape to be worn for so many days and/or nights after cast removal. There is also the 'leakage' factor. I was instructed not to blow my nose for several weeks, so the mucus builds up. Once the swelling of the tissues begins to lessen, more leakage of the mucus occurs. I'm left with dabbing my nose with a tissue or a q tip in between the multiple daily cleanings with hydrogen peroxide, a saline solution, and polysporin application. Hope this helps give you some idea. I'm sure everyone is different.

I can't wait to see photos!  Keep us posted!!!! :)

Hi. How did it go? I'm on my third day of recovery. Today is the first day I don't feel so groggy. Hope you're doing ok,
I wish you the best for tomorrow!! I'll be waiting to see an update!! :) Good luck!!!
Good luck! I have my surgery tomorrow morning as well (11:00am), but I think I'm slightly more nervous than you are at this point! I look forward to seeing your updates!
My surgery is for the same day. From your description, it sounds as though we are getting a lot of the same things done. It's exciting, isn't it? I loved reading your story and I hope that you will follow up after surgery. I also understand what you mean about the travelling. I will be driving for 4.5 hrs to and from surgery. PS advised that I may want to stay in Toronto the first night, but could decide the day of surgery...depending on how I feel afterwards. I will likely take Gravol for the drive back. On one hand staying overnight would be convenient for sleep, drowsiness, etc...but then on the other, my home will be all set up with everything I need for recovery. And from the posts on this site, many people feel alright the day of surgery, but progressively get worse as days go by. I'd hate to have to travel when I feel even worse! I suppose either way, it's taking a guess at what would be best. I wish you strength, wellness, and quick recovery!
That's what my concern is re tip. I have read that it can be done via closed with a very skilled surgeon. Idk. My tip is the main prob I have. My profile is horrible but I have to look at my tip! :) Thx for your reply! Good luck! I can't wait to hear!!!
I will be thinking about you!! I can't wait to hear how it goes! I think you will love your results. You don't need tip reshaping...that's my only ? with Dr. G. still. I have a very bulbous tip. Like a door knob. I'm not convinced that a closed procedure can get the results that I want. Ugh. I have 2 more consults with different Docs. One today, and next Monday. I will update after.
Best of luck!!! Oh and how did you get your pics to hide your eyes?
Julie
Julie, I'm pretty happy with my tip, I just think it needs to be deprojected a bit (and from my understanding, that's achieved by moving the whole nose, not just manipulating the tip).

I used Photoshop to put black bars over my eyes ... you can do it in Microsoft Paint too! I hope you put up a review, I'd love to follow your journey!
By the way, if I had photoshop I may not get the surgery...I would alter my nose in every photo!! ;) I do credit my big ass nose for my photography skills! Always taking, not posing!
I've only heard amazing things about dr. golden, so your in good hands
I'm confident in my choice. I'm following your review because I'd like to consult with Dr. Malhotra later this year for a possible chin implant. Can't wait to see your cast-off photos today! Good luck at the follow-up!
Thanks for posting! I have my surgery with Dr Golden scheduled 2 weeks after yours. I'm not nervous about the surgery yet, more nervous about the results! good luck!
Same here, I'm still not nervous about the operation/anesthesia ... more just anxious about the results! I'm confident in his abilities though, I really like his overall aesthetic ... we picked a good surgeon, now we just have to wait! :)
Do you have any before pics? Is Dr. Golden doing tip work on you? I have had 2 consults with him. I'm not 100% that we are on the same page in re: to my bulbous tip and the results. I'm seeing another Dr today and next Monday. I'm not certain about open vs. closed for tip work. I'm doing as much research as possible. I've waited this long...BUT every pic of me (very few I allow) my nose seems to be getting worse! Like its taunting me!! Lol!
good luck with your surgery!! I had a Rhino last July and I totally was not happy at all! The PS left me with a bump on my nose so I went to Dr. Golden in April of this year so I am 3 1/2 months post-op. So far I am liking my results, but not "in love". I think it is also because I am still pretty swollen and he refused to do tip work on me. he did remove a slight bit of cartilage from one side of my tip (supposively one side was higher than the other, which i never noticed lol) but i feel like my tip is still bulbous..but I iam hoping it is just some swelling. I have a HUGE long review on my journey if you are interested in reading lol! Take Care & good luck! :)
My coNsultation went really well..I must admit I was very nervous going in because this is my face and all haha but dr golden was really nice, professional, and realistic. He had me stand in front of the mirror and show him what I did and did not like ...and he basically told me exactly what to expect and what he could do! He said I'll have to have my nose broken, which I expected..but also that I have excellent tip cartledge ..whatever that means lol so he doesn't have to touch that at least. I tentatively booked mine for mid November because I'm about to start a new job and I don't want to take time off right away, but I think I'll probably alert my boss to the fact that I'll be having this surgery done...not sure about co workers though since I'll be new and won't know them too well yet!
Oh I also meant to say that I'm also 23! Seems like this is the perfect age to finally get this done for a lot of people :)
Good to hear it went well! As you can see, my chin is pretty weak too. That was one reason why I was considering other docs. Dr. G stopped doing chin implants (even though it still lists it as a service on his website) and I would've liked to have the 2 procedures done at once, but it seems like it's a not a big deal to have them separately. Plus, from what I've read, chin implants seem to be a much less 'exact science' than noses, so I'd feel more comfortable going to another doc for that.

Anyway, I have my pre-op next Tuesday (!). I'm nervous only because paying the rest of my money is going to break the bank and then there's no backing out at that point! :) I don't have too many more questions (I've been e-mailing him and his office staff constantly with questions), but I'm definitely going to bring photos!
I feel like we have similar stories. I am also 23 with a dorsal hump and I live 2 hours away from my surgeon. I will definitely update my review as I go along so you can see how my experience is with everything! My surgery is August 8. Good luck!
By the way, I am telling people that it is a septoplasty. The only people that know what it really is is my immediate family. I'm not even telling my friends. I don't think anyone will ever know the difference. In a way I feel guilty about spending $4000 on my appearance and I think that being in the Midwest it is less acceptable to get plastic surgery, so I am just telling a little lie that isn't hurting anyone.