post-op..and now we wait -Toronto, ON

So im about 10 days post op right now and i dont...

so im about 10 days post op right now and i dont know how i feel. myy nose looks amazing from the side, but the front is so incredibly swollen (im led to believe), and is about double the width of my old nose. it was a closed rhinoplasty though and my doctor even told me he wouldnt change the width of my old nose since he himself said it was nice the way it is. and those bones dont feel broken too, so i have hope that it will return to its normal width.
heres to hoping.

if it does, however, then id be very pleased and im going to go ahead and say this was 100000% worth it.

ps i dont want to add pics just yet because i feel disgusting/ ugly. maybe when i start looking right again, ill be happy to laugh over the recovery pics with the world.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

swollenness is alot better.. feeling good!

put tape on my nose for a few days and it looks way better! it has come down alot an today i even went out in public! im going to post some photos of the transition. ive never come across anyone with a bigger nose than mine (in terms of swollenness) so im about to give hope to lots of people out there.

just added a bunch of photos, kinda all jumbled up. wow cant believe the chnage... def love my new nose but missing the width of my old one, it was much skinnier.. but i know its just swelling! :)

The swelling will go down I can already see that happening. Your profile looks so much better yet natural and now your nose won't be distracting. Give it time, it will shape up . The profile is always the most dramatic result at first
thanks alot! yeah its so fat, i couldnt believe it the day the cast came off.. it was way past swollen and way past me wanting to cry, i couldnt stop laughing. just asked my doc when id look normal again and he said in about a week lol but i have the feeling im gonna be one of those slower patients

before bed...

i know theres alot of swelling but im seriously worried about the nostrils. theyre so wide and flare-y... hoping they dont stay this noticeable. theyre creepin me out :(

Your tip looks fabulous !
My nose looked really wide to me after the surgery. Now, 7 months post op, I do want my surgeon to go back in and narrow it. He only did a small osteotomy (where they make cuts and push the sides of your nose in), which wasn't enough. If you research, a lot of docs say that when removing a hump, the osteotomy is necessary to avoid a wide look. In any case, you need to give it at least six months before you can tell anything.
BTW! I forgot to say that your nose looks beautiful. Still swollen but very elegant!

nose feels funny

its funny, im getting a tiny bit of feeling back in my nose. the bridge is definitely coming along but the tip still feels rock hard and like itdoesnt belong on my face. when i press on my nostrils lightly, it feels like it was sculpted from some rock lol! some days, my nose looks so defined (bridge wise) and today as i got out of the shower, it looked like puddy again. gah i cant wait for a year to come so i can finally see it.

in other news, im always always always thirsty or dry in general. maybe its cos im still breathing from my mouth, but i find myself drinking SO much water lately, and im not a water person usually. also find my skin is overall so much more dry which is weird cos im drinking so much water! ah well. chapstick, a good moisturizer and water canteens are my savior.

really?? its the part that im most worried about. i feel its wide and the nostrils are too noticeable but i do know some of that is swelling. i just cant see what its going to look like in my head lol but thanks :)
Yes its not hooked anymore. You have to get past the swelling and look at the shape

exercise!

quick little addition.. but i miss the gym SOOO much! its depressing without it. ive gotten so flabby cos of school and nose job oh my.
when did you all go back to the gym? i cant wait

Upturned tip

How long did it take those of you with upturned tips to notice it being normal again? This is bothering me so much! My nostrils show a little too much!!

Hi I was wondering who your surgeon was and why you chose him i am at the early stages of my research on who I want to go to and was wondering if you did alot of research and if so who your top picks were I live in the Niagara region so I am not that far

Wow, your profile looks amazing and I can tell how much your swelling has come down since that first day. Thank you SO much for sharing your photos as, like you said, they are going to give hope to people who are really swollen. You're already a knock out and I'm sure once you're all healed you're going to look gorgeous.

Itchy insides

The only thing I am having major issues with is the inside of my noseā€¦ It is so incredibly itchy that I cannot handle it. I think it's like the stitches and the suture knots but they are so itchy and dried up that I just want to scratch my entire nose out. It has been like this for 2-3 days now... Can't wait till this ends

Hi New, I had the same surgery date as you, and have had on and off issues with itching which is healing/low level pain. Have you been using saline nasal rinses or sprays. The Ocean one works, in the pressurized can. To get out all that gunk, spray up with your head facing up. To get further in the sinuses, tilt your head to one side, spray in the top nostril, and the water will come out the bottom one. Perhaps take pain meds if the itching is unbearable!

day 15

my nose is looking alot thinner but the tip is still big and i feel like its upturned because i can see my round, big, nostrils pretty clearly.
im scared its going to stay this way forever....

hi there i do use the saline solution daily, and i think thats whats making it itchy maybe. i have no blood left really, its just the sutures and i think theyre so dry that theyre kind of ripping or tickling the skin in my nose. im not sure but i find myself itching the outer rims of my nostril/base alot and often. im trying to control myself though!
No, I don't think it's the saline that is making you itch. You may have mucus build up on your sutures, or you are experiencing itching as part of healing. If it's really bad, there may be a possibility that you are allergic to one of your medications, or Arnica, or Bromelian if you are taking those. I'm sorry you are itchy! Maybe give your doctor a call on Friday if it is unbearable.

Day 14

Hoping the swelling hurries up! Haha. Make up finally on today, felt better

oops

oops last review was supposed to be day 16.. not 14.

Thanks guys :) I like it so far. The tips still alittle too rounded and bulbous which I thiink is swelling cos it's rock hard there. Only time will tell! Either way it's such an improvement from my old nose
You look great!!
All your bruising is gone and your nose looks good, it will only get smaller from here! Happy for you.

17 days.. That's the magic number

Wow! You look fantastic and your nose looks amazing! My septorhinoplasty is on July 17th with the same plastic surgeon as you, and I hope I have good results like yours! Thank you for your updates, I really appreciate it :)
no problem! so excited for you! im positive it will go smoothly
17 really is the magic number ! Your nose looks beautiful

before

found a frontal BEFORE pic lol even this one is "flattering" so you can imagine the horrors of my old nose.

however the width here is so much smaller! crazy swelling now i assume.

...

Getting impatient with my tip. Still slightly upturned and bulbous.

Your profile looks amazing so far! It's only going to improve from here! Don't forget there is a ton of swelling, and the final result will be more refined. Keep your head up. :)
I think it looks REALLY good. The swelling is going down totally! I can see the day of cast removal that the swelling would have been alarming. lol. But the new pictures (only like a week later) it looks SO SO SO good. I would be happy. Congrats!!
WOWWW you'll look amazing!

Help please

Here is my main concern and if anyone could tell me if its normal/not normal i woul really appreciate it. When you look at me head on, I like the nose. But when I tilt my head even slightly or laugh I find my nostrils are just oddly huge. Is this in my head? Is this normal for 3 weeks post op? Or not?

I have a tiny bit of hope it's swelling cos my tip part is completely rock hard and I can't move it at all.

Ps excuse the dark eyes.. Still residual bruising I assume

23? Days post op

You look really good!! It fits your face nicely and the swelling will go down according to my doctor in a few months ull be able to see the difference from the beginning! And exercise I understand you perfectly I read that in 2 weeks u can start lifting on ur lower half, walking nothing too fast and in a month u can start with regular exercise and lifting ur upper half now!!
thanks so much, sometimes you forget and you get so depressed. thank god for this site haha
thanks so much! yes that was beyond scary.. started becoming kind of hilarious

swollen today

one eye feels like its going to shut. its so weird. it also hurts alot underneath that eye.. the other one doesnt.

maybe has to do with the fact that i had fried foods yesterday/high salt?

not sure.
very weird.

Bummer

Sucks cos all my friends say I still look the same (but better)! I know I obviously don't since my nose was super droopy and had a huge bump before and it has none of that now but I was hoping for a huge, nice change!

Your 23 post op picture looks awesome. You can tell the swelling went down a lot! Of course you are going to look the same! It's good to look the same, but better! The swelling will continue to go down and look even better. My family and my boyfriend said they don't see a huge difference and I look like me still. It's a huge change for me and that's all that matters! No one cared if I got my nose done or didn't get it done. They thought it was just fine. But to me it was horrible! It's all about your confidence, and doing this for yourself! Your friends didn't analyze your nose like you did :) Congrats on your result!! xo

Update

Getting better but still soo swollen at the tip! Can't wait for a year to pass.. It's taking forever with me

you look amazing who was your surgeon looking for a Dr in Toronto
looking amazing! I really love the results so far and they will only get better as the swelling continues to go down esp at the tip :)
You look good girl. Your nostrils do not look bigger thats all in your head and they will still shrink up to a year if you really wanted them smaller but they look perfect and i'm being honest.

almost 10 months now...

a lot better. The tip/septum area is still very stiff though, and when I smile it doesnt lift completely, which makes me feel awkward sometimes. im starting to think it wont get back to natural now though. ive also come to accept that im an insanely slow healer.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

nose expansion when smiling lol

see here, its not as expanded as the other pic

It expands because the dr deprojected ur nose which causes ur nostrils to flare outwards. When your nose tip used to be longer it had a higher peak so ur nostrils couldn't expand/flatten as much. This is only one of many reasons I regret my surgery. Wish they hadve explained that to me before I went under the knife cos I wouldn't of wated my money on what looks like a monstrosity on my face.

10 months

Love the profile. If only it was this tiny when I smile too

10 months

Looks great!
Your nose looks *beautiful*! Congratulations! : )