Juviderm is Ruining Lives 2 Years Later - Southampton, NY

26 months ago, I had Juviderm injections under my...

26 months ago, I had Juviderm injections under my eyes, & in my lips, to try & even out some bumps & symmetry which had been lost over time as a result of fat injections, ( another "myth; I had my lips done via fat in 1990, & it NEVER dissolved, just got bumpy.) All was ok for a while, but over 2 years later, both results suddenly began to change & move around for the worse.
The "volume" which WAS, in my lips, has now moved WELL over the lipline, on both the top & bottom lip, giving me platypus effect, esp the upper. My eyes suddenly developed HUGE kidney shaped FESTOONS, underneath, which appeared to move around if pushed. One knows, when a substance in one's face is foreign. ONE injection round of Vitrase fixed the eye bags within 24 hours, a problem with which I'd been living with for weeks, wanting to die every morning.
Now, my lips have followed, one month later, looking like someone punched me in the upper lip, & I will have to find another doctor, because the original DR refuses to believe this is from his injections.
Something's happening to many of us, 24+ months after injections of Juviderm, which these doctors are in complete denial about. Women are being admitted for depression, for ruining their faces, because this problem is not being dealt with. My doctor refused to even LOOK at this site, and all the misery people are sharing, two years after injections, There is not enough known about the long term affects of this filler, and what they THINK they know, is very flawed.

Pictures of Juviderm "Bulges" under eyes, lips, smile lines

I have still not found a doctor to try and fix my lips.
I'm so sorry you are dealing with all of this.  I hope you find support in this community.
Thankyou. I think I would have died without the support of this community. My eyes are about 85% better; I am however, left with stretched skin, but there are cosmetic remedies for this. I can only hope it goes as well for the lips, but I will certainly keep this board up to date.

7 weeks after small amount of Vitrase Under Eyes

Now, about 7 weeks AFTER one very minute amount of dissolver was injected under eyes, may not look it, but great improvement. Transformation was immediate. I have a lipodystrophic very thin face, so every "bump" shows up. WE, are the ones who WANT filler in the first place, because of this very fact. My eyes "hollowed" again, bags beneath shrank a bit immediately, though they are still VERY much there, but but more residually, more from the skin that was stretched. I no longer can actually "feel" a substance moving around under my eyes. As you can see, the lips remain a disaster, lumping unevenly on top, & a deflated lower, hanging like a ducklip.
I believe in what you are saying. I think USA is a bit behind in plastic surgery compared to South America , Brazil for example. Seven years ago, when I was still living there, most of the doctors and patients had learned that permanent fillers just don't work. The only product that is probably consider the safest is Botox , but it goes away after awhile and can become expensive to redo the application every year, that's why everyone wants to believe juviderm will work. Remember when people used to inject liquid silicon in their body? Some still do, well , any filler that is permanent and injected, is very much like the liquid silicon, if your body reacts to it I want to see a dr who can remove it, no matter what they do to fix you will have the left over mark. Permanent fillers? Not worthy
Yes, I agree 100%. Fillers are dangerous, because the adverse reactions to ANYthing injected are simply too unknown to any given individual. The only injection I think effective, is Sculptra, in the idea that it's an entirely different premise; Not being a "filler" itself, rather "teases" the body into producing it's own collagen. But it's just not that effective, and WAY too expensive. The US has become a 3rd world in science, I'm afraid you're absolutely right about that!
And, also, it's really good to hear about your specific case, because as I AM on medication which causes a bit of facial lyphodystrophy (I had a VERY thin face to begin with too,) I have lately come to the conclusion that cheek implants may be my only safest ave, yet this horrifies me somehow. But as you can see, I REALLY have hollow cheeks, so I'm very interested to hear how your case goes..I don't think I could handle another adverse result, but I'm also depressed over the hollowness in my face Yje best of luck with this..!!

2 hours after HA dissolver

My original DR Kelly has come through after all for me, & I had the first Vitrase injections in my lips today. I don't see too much difference yet, but the pressure & tightness from the edema, esp over the upper lip, feels a tiny bit less. The bottom lip seems to be "flattening" somewhat.
Hi Veryhopless thank you for your message,i hope you are doing better.I've had the symptoms with the eyes for two years now,it all started approximately 8 to 10 days after the juvederm was injected in the glabella area.It started with me opening my eyes one morning and and my vision was blurry,I could feel this stuff slowly moving down into my eyes through the passage if blood flow.The vision got worse on my wedding day 5 days later I could barely see out of my right eye.Thus kept progressing,then the 24 hour intense burning started after hyaluronidase was injected in the same area.It felt like I had crushed burning glass in both eyes but predominately in the right.I had several eye exams,scans and nothing showed just slight inflammation.I had 20/20 vision before all this.I contacted a Doctor in America recently as she has been in articles talking about how fillers can blind you,I told her how I have been left and she said there is a very specific test than can determine any damage from fillers.It is hard in England to find this test,she said what I am experiencing is tissue loss in the cells of the eye,there is no treatment but hopefully vision will not completely deteriorate.Fillers should never be injected near eyes but Doctors will not tell you this,it does migrate if it gets into the bloodstream it can filter anywhere. I now have pixel vision and night blindness at night,my eyes take a long time to adapt from light to dark,my eyes still burn,water,get dry and swollen,I'm still terrified I will lose my sight as really who knows how much damage this can cause.I will still look for a Doctor who can perform this test,I know my eyes have suffered,I remember pleading with Doctors in the many A&E departments I visited that I felt the cells in my eyes had changed,they felt different and damaged,I was to,d I was imagining it and if I kept implying this was correct then they would have to look at psychological causes.Ive now been told there is decreased vision in my right eye,it's also affected my left ear hearing and slightly on the right,but I suppose I've imagined that too,and the memory loss. The test to specifically determine cell damage is called a Floresecene Angiogram,it checks blood flow into the eye and checks for corrosion in the retinal arterial circulation.The Dictors name in America is Dr Michelke Valerie Carle in Los Angeles,Santa Clarita California.Telephone number 001 424 666 4818. This is the number I contacted her on approximately 2 months ago,I hope it is still the same for anyone wanting to contact her.She was quite helpful,it would be interesting to see if this test actually showed any damage,not sure if that would be good or bad.Im not sure how much thu would cost,if I do find anywhere that will provide this test I will go for it,it's the not knowing for sure that is worse,I will keep you posted.Sending healing wishes to you all,keep positive,thinking if you kx.

Lips 1 week after first Vitrase

It is huge, the difference. DR Kelly treated the lips themselves, but these next injections need to be above & below the lips, where it is obvious the Juvenile swell is still going on But the difference is absolute
That's great! They look so much better! So happy for you!

After 2nd Vitrase Dissolver to Lips

As if someone pricked a balloon, I'm showing my lips before and after 2 rounds of Vitrase dissolver.
Well, I went to see some "supposed" fat transfer wizard today....big waste of time. I've never felt worse leaving an office, in fact was in tears. All I got was, "yes, I see, it's a mess, there's nothing I can do for you." He could have at least lied, and said it wasn't so bad. I cannot believe how stupid I was to get fat injections. I was told they would last one year. That was in 1990. Fat transfer is fatal. If it goes bad, and chances are it will move at so e point, There is nothing you can do about it. Nada.
That's how most of my doctor appointments go. I'm so sorry :(.
Well, I went to see some DR about the fat lumps in my upper lip, who SUPPOSEDLY is some kind of wizard about fat transfer, so I went to see him, and it was a complete waste of my time; I actually left his office crying, feeling worse than ever. He could have at least lied, and said "it's not that bad," but instead just stared blankly, nodding, saying he felt bad for me, that he agreed my lips are thoroughly messed up, and I should just leave them alone. I've never felt so bad leaving an office. Ugh

Fillers Juviderm & Fat ruined my lips forever

I've had 2 rounds of Vitrase in the lips. Now, the top is excessively bigger than the bottom, chronically giving me an upsidown smile-frown. I hope to god some more Vitrase in the top will do SOMETHING to improve this...The lumps, I am forever stuck with, for they are from an old fat injection. However, the swelling of the breaking down Juviderm, "pushed" these lumps lower on my top lip, covering my teeth, looking awful, and from some angles, hideous.
Thank you for sharing. I am not going to use it.
Thank you all for sharing and helping me make an informed choice in regards to my face and using Juvaderm,,,,I wil not be using it.
I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'd like to comment about Dr. Kelly. I had seen him for another (medically necessary) procedure. He flat out refused to work with my insurance company, even though they were more than willing to work with him. I found him to be extremely arrogant, and not very helpful or sympathetic to my situation at all. He knows he is the only game in town (you know how it is out here) as far as ENT's go, that's the only group in the area. I had to find another ENT, closer to the city, to have my procedure done. For injectables , I highly recommend Dr. Romero in Dix Hills. If I were you, I'd see him for a consultation. It's worth the trip. He is the best on Long Island, and very reasonable in his pricing. He really knows his stuff, takes his time in explaining everything, and makes you feel totally at ease. I wouldn't go to anyone else for injectables. I will continue to follow your progress. Good luck with this.
Hamptons Facial Plastic Surgeon

Though at first Disbelief it was Juviderm, has come to see in my undeniable results with Vitrase, AND, the useful posts on this site,that something's definitely yet unknown here, and is he is eager & willing to help me get through this experience, which in my experience is rare and lucky in a cosmetic doctor.