Juviderm is Ruining Lives 2 Years Later - Southampton, NY

26 months ago, I had Juviderm injections under my...

26 months ago, I had Juviderm injections under my eyes, & in my lips, to try & even out some bumps & symmetry which had been lost over time as a result of fat injections, ( another "myth; I had my lips done via fat in 1990, & it NEVER dissolved, just got bumpy.) All was ok for a while, but over 2 years later, both results suddenly began to change & move around for the worse.
The "volume" which WAS, in my lips, has now moved WELL over the lipline, on both the top & bottom lip, giving me platypus effect, esp the upper. My eyes suddenly developed HUGE kidney shaped FESTOONS, underneath, which appeared to move around if pushed. One knows, when a substance in one's face is foreign. ONE injection round of Vitrase fixed the eye bags within 24 hours, a problem with which I'd been living with for weeks, wanting to die every morning.
Now, my lips have followed, one month later, looking like someone punched me in the upper lip, & I will have to find another doctor, because the original DR refuses to believe this is from his injections.
Something's happening to many of us, 24+ months after injections of Juviderm, which these doctors are in complete denial about. Women are being admitted for depression, for ruining their faces, because this problem is not being dealt with. My doctor refused to even LOOK at this site, and all the misery people are sharing, two years after injections, There is not enough known about the long term affects of this filler, and what they THINK they know, is very flawed.

Pictures of Juviderm "Bulges" under eyes, lips, smile lines

I have still not found a doctor to try and fix my lips.

7 weeks after small amount of Vitrase Under Eyes

Now, about 7 weeks AFTER one very minute amount of dissolver was injected under eyes, may not look it, but great improvement. Transformation was immediate. I have a lipodystrophic very thin face, so every "bump" shows up. WE, are the ones who WANT filler in the first place, because of this very fact. My eyes "hollowed" again, bags beneath shrank a bit immediately, though they are still VERY much there, but but more residually, more from the skin that was stretched. I no longer can actually "feel" a substance moving around under my eyes. As you can see, the lips remain a disaster, lumping unevenly on top, & a deflated lower, hanging like a ducklip.

2 hours after HA dissolver

My original DR Kelly has come through after all for me, & I had the first Vitrase injections in my lips today. I don't see too much difference yet, but the pressure & tightness from the edema, esp over the upper lip, feels a tiny bit less. The bottom lip seems to be "flattening" somewhat.

Lips 1 week after first Vitrase

It is huge, the difference. DR Kelly treated the lips themselves, but these next injections need to be above & below the lips, where it is obvious the Juvenile swell is still going on But the difference is absolute

After 2nd Vitrase Dissolver to Lips

As if someone pricked a balloon, I'm showing my lips before and after 2 rounds of Vitrase dissolver.

Fillers Juviderm & Fat ruined my lips forever

I've had 2 rounds of Vitrase in the lips. Now, the top is excessively bigger than the bottom, chronically giving me an upsidown smile-frown. I hope to god some more Vitrase in the top will do SOMETHING to improve this...The lumps, I am forever stuck with, for they are from an old fat injection. However, the swelling of the breaking down Juviderm, "pushed" these lumps lower on my top lip, covering my teeth, looking awful, and from some angles, hideous.
Hamptons Facial Plastic Surgeon

Though at first Disbelief it was Juviderm, has come to see in my undeniable results with Vitrase, AND, the useful posts on this site,that something's definitely yet unknown here, and is he is eager & willing to help me get through this experience, which in my experience is rare and lucky in a cosmetic doctor.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'd like to comment about Dr. Kelly. I had seen him for another (medically necessary) procedure. He flat out refused to work with my insurance company, even though they were more than willing to work with him. I found him to be extremely arrogant, and not very helpful or sympathetic to my situation at all. He knows he is the only game in town (you know how it is out here) as far as ENT's go, that's the only group in the area. I had to find another ENT, closer to the city, to have my procedure done. For injectables , I highly recommend Dr. Romero in Dix Hills. If I were you, I'd see him for a consultation. It's worth the trip. He is the best on Long Island, and very reasonable in his pricing. He really knows his stuff, takes his time in explaining everything, and makes you feel totally at ease. I wouldn't go to anyone else for injectables. I will continue to follow your progress. Good luck with this.
I am so sorry to hear about everything you have gone through and am in the same boat. I had restylane and Voluma in February and had a bubble like blister and redness the same night but my doctor said don't worry. It finally went down but came back in May except the redness was going down my face. He totally dismissed my concerns and told me I didn't have any infection or granuloma even though he felt the lump. After sending more photos showing how bad the redness was he asked a dermatologist about it who suggested he put me on Biaxin but said I should find another doctor who has dealt with complications. He had no idea what to do and really didn't care. I asked for my money back since I had to go find someone new and the only thing he cared about was me signing a release which I wouldn't do. Never heard from him again. These doctors should not inject these fillers if they don't know how to treat adverse reactions. I have several posts and finally found a doctor that is caring and only does facial reconstruction. I had gone to one other before finding her who injected hyaluronidase 5 times and one with steroids but didn't want to continue with steroids since I have read only horrible things about it. I have been on antibiotics for almost 7 weeks with 2 IM injections of Cephalexin and thankfully the redness is gone but the kidney shaped lump is not. I will need surgery to get this out because of the severity of infection. Every doctor says this can be dissolved but that is not the case. I am beyond depressed and the fact that my doctor bailed and could care less was the most hurtful. This is bad enough but when you are left to navigate this alone, it is unbearable. I have asked several people on this site if we all could band together for a class action suit. I have contacted a very large firm and they asked if there were other people that have had similar reactions. There should be a mandatory training specifically for the tear trough area and should have an FDA warning that injecting any filler into this area has severe risks. They sell it on the premise that if there is a problem, just dissolve it. I live in Los Angeles and unless you are horribly disfigured or brain dead, it is not worth it for any lawyer to try these cases. A class action suit is much different since there is a lot more money involved. The doctors and companies have to be accountable for what they have done to people like us. Once you have a biofilm infection and it is encapsulated, removing it is like trying to get salt out of sand. It is extremely difficult and for me, there is no other option if this infection comes back. I am scared to death and every day I pray I will wake up and it will be gone and then look in the mirror and cry. My new doctor is concerned because she has never seen anyone with this kind of infection and when a doctor says it is worrisome, it isn't good. I wish you the best and have found great comfort and support with this site.
Hi veyhopeless and 4halex and everyone else going through these filler reaction nightmares. I am so sorry that you're going through this...as we all mentioned, at least we going through it together. I went to my latest hyalurondiase appointment this past Tuesday. Here's the quick overview and update: I usually come in the office (2.5 hours drive from my home) hopeful and grateful that this wonderful PS is treating me - at no charge! - and he's not even the doctor who injected me! He has truly been a God send in this ordeal. However, he's never seen this reaction before either, so it has been up to me to do most of the research and suggestions on what to do - from antibiotics for biofilm to repeated doses of hyaluronidase. But again I cannot complain - this doctor has treated me for free (I imagine mostly since he did my mid face implants in 2012 and he had a concern they may have been the problem to begin with. We both thought that. But has the evidence comes in over the months, this seems more symptomatic of a Juvederm issue/reaction because there are no other signs of mid face implant infection.) Along with you guys, I understand well the madness associated with having this happen and dealing with it alone because the doctor who injected has no clue, and many other well-meaning doctors do not either. That right there is just crazy. 4halex - as you mentioned, and I agree, if you don't know how to treat the adverse effects, you shouldn't be doing the injections in the first place. That has to be where all of this is heading because this minority seems to be growing. And honestly, that is a bummer. We all thought this was a relatively safe way to augment ourselves cosmetically. It worked for me for 3 years prior to getting facial implants - which I loved! It's just too much irony that this happened in my left cheek years after stopping fillers (since I got implants) and as a side effect of originally going in to get an injection of juvederm to in my nose! I wanted to see if it was a viable option to yet another surgery after breaking it for the 3rd time. That filling the hollow on my left cheek was an afterthought is the irony of ironies - I didn't even go in to have that done!!! If only I'd said, "nah...I don't need/want it." But not having any bad reactions to juvederm before, I thought, "sure!". Well...now I have set a new consciousness in motion due to the whole experience. And maybe that's priceless in the end. Because, I have to say, while in this doctor's office he talked about all these ways we could "fix up my face" to have all this long term volume...like with Arte Fill. It sure sounded good then! It supposedly lasts for 5 years plus. You can get seduced into this constant upkeep of your looks and it can become never ending. At this point in time, I have never loved my cheek hollow like I do now! Boy how I love that indented feature of my face! Boy how I miss it and can't wait to see it again! And I feel I am on the long road to seeing it again, but there is some progress. Anyway, I was in this bummed place of feeling like even though my doctor is awesome and treating me for free, I still feel alone because as far as I know, he hasn't consulted with any other doctors about this and offers no real course of treatment. (And I have offered to pay for treatment!) I respectfully think it's not his forte and he is doing what he can, but I feel like I need an expert. However, on this visit, he did triple the hyaluronidase - I asked him to go for it and put the firehouse in there. Since juvederm ultra plus was used in that area (since the original target was the bridge of my nose!) I think it's going to take more than thought to get rid of this. It is making progress, but I just thought by now it'd be gone. I woke up the following morning with my mind racing...got on line to research more issues, experts, etc. It felt maddening! I have to do due diligence, but then, I can't run willy nilly at everything. I decided to just let go for a week or so. Get quiet and let solutions come to the surface. I know this may sound new age-y and what not, but there is a comfort in surrendering to the situation when it gets to the maddening stage of, "now what? who can fix this? how do we fix it? has it affected my implant" is there still an infection? was there ever an infection? is it just that juvederm in that area is too hydrophilic? is there a collection of filler that I need to have excised out?" And on and on! Too many questions and directions for this girl! And I'm used to problem solving - it's what I do for a living. But sometimes we need to step back and allow a higher consciousness to guide us. That is where I am for now. I have researched myself to crazy town! Now, I'm finding comfort in the reflection I am getting in my new "downtime" (since this issue keeps me from socializing as much. I don't feel up to it and don't look up to it right now, as much.) In my reflection time, I see how crazy it was to get so focused on keeping my looks up. I think some nice cosmetic tweaks are great. But, really, I was over concerned and I am glad I am waking up to that now. Graceful tweaks are nice, but wow, chill out. It also got me thinking about making conscious choices about what I'm doing with myself, my body and my life. Again, a nice by-product from such an ordeal. I've gotten comfort from doing some healing meditations - "The Secret of Healing" by Deepak Chopra is great, as well as, his book about how the body heals as a whole "The Mystery of Healing". Both of these books are on Audible.com. A friend of mine also told me about a woman who created a book of healing "glyphs". It sounded kooky enough (right up my ally) so I ordered it! It's called "Unlocking the Power of Glyphs" by Jean Logan, PH.D. I got the book this past Wednesday and started using the glyphs...I have to say, some interesting changes are occurring. I'll be glad to report back later as I move along. Google her and the book and see what you think. Thanks for all your updates and sharing your stories! It always helps to know you're not alone, yet wouldn't want anyone else to endure this all the same! I wish you all complete healing! Biggyc
4halex I'm so sorry; I know too well what you're going through. questions: I is this your eyes you're talking about (I assumed because you said kidney shape) How long did it take for the troubles to start after you first got injections? It's all so convoluted..they have absolute NO CLUE what they're doing with adverse reactions...everyone's having different yet similar reactions...my dissolver injections HAVE ABSOLUTELY helped my lips, but not much around the eyes really, and my case, all was fine UNTIL, the crap started breaking down, 22 months AFTER injection...Everyone breaks it down differently, time wise. But it's absolute proof, that it lingers forever, when the dissolver DOES make a difference. As for the "biofilm" theory, I am beginning to believe that given time it's time, this does VERY SLOWLY wear away over time. My eyes are very slowly improving. When I say slowly, I mean it's been 8 months dealing with this hideous situation, and I believe for the first time in 8 months now, that this WILL wear itself away...I still have festoons, but I have noticed that the more water I drink, salt I avoid, it is seeming to go down on it's own! I believe there is a HORRID stage that some of us go through as this garbage starts breaking down...Our bodies react in all different ways, with me, it is edema & water retention...Your body WILL fight this infection & triumph 4halex. I know this doesn't bring much solace right now, but it is 3 years with this stuff in me and I've had somany stages of horror with it; The good news, is that it DOES keep changing. First worse, and then veeeery slowly for the better. These are the first twinges of hope I have had in a full year of wanting to kill myself when I look in the mirror. When it comes to the face, it's near impossible to be patient, I know. But feeling it will never get better is intolerable...I can honestly say, I think this is getting better, simply from time. Little solace I know, but I am dead serious...it is FINALLY, beginning to work itself out. My heart goes out
I am so happy you are beginning to see an improvement, you have waited 3 years too long. It was about 2 months when I noticed a lot of bruising, swelling and then the horrible redness and lump. I just finished my last pill and am worried to death that the red will come back. If that happens, my doctor wants to operate right away to get this out since I have had soooo many antibiotics and shots. From everything I have read, it is very difficult since it is encased in layers that my body has built around it. I also have discoloration from the infection and excess skin along with deep hollow eye sockets! Some days I think, oh, maybe it is a little better but then I catch a glimpse in the mirror and start crying. The right eye is at least flat and saggy but the left still has the lump and from trying to dissolve it so many times, I have an indentation under the kidney bean. It is a mess and I am 58 and have enough wrinkles and sun damage, so I don't need another thing. My husband is actually going to see the original doctor and try and work something out so I am not broke from all of this. The surgery is expensive and then I have to get some volume back and don't know how I am going to do it. Anyway, you have been through so much and it seems you are finally coming out the other end of this nightmare.
Well, I went to see some "supposed" fat transfer wizard today....big waste of time. I've never felt worse leaving an office, in fact was in tears. All I got was, "yes, I see, it's a mess, there's nothing I can do for you." He could have at least lied, and said it wasn't so bad. I cannot believe how stupid I was to get fat injections. I was told they would last one year. That was in 1990. Fat transfer is fatal. If it goes bad, and chances are it will move at so e point, There is nothing you can do about it. Nada.
That's how most of my doctor appointments go. I'm so sorry :(.
Well, I went to see some DR about the fat lumps in my upper lip, who SUPPOSEDLY is some kind of wizard about fat transfer, so I went to see him, and it was a complete waste of my time; I actually left his office crying, feeling worse than ever. He could have at least lied, and said "it's not that bad," but instead just stared blankly, nodding, saying he felt bad for me, that he agreed my lips are thoroughly messed up, and I should just leave them alone. I've never felt so bad leaving an office. Ugh
Google an English singer called Pete Burns, he had this and his lips were awful. It's got a terrible rep in the UK, I'm just glad it's gone down for you.
I've been getting fillers for nine years and never had an issue.
Thanks Biggy! And even better now. Now, I see what I can do about the residual fat lumps in the upper...appt 6/24.
That's great! They look so much better! So happy for you!
I believe in what you are saying. I think USA is a bit behind in plastic surgery compared to South America , Brazil for example. Seven years ago, when I was still living there, most of the doctors and patients had learned that permanent fillers just don't work. The only product that is probably consider the safest is Botox , but it goes away after awhile and can become expensive to redo the application every year, that's why everyone wants to believe juviderm will work. Remember when people used to inject liquid silicon in their body? Some still do, well , any filler that is permanent and injected, is very much like the liquid silicon, if your body reacts to it I want to see a dr who can remove it, no matter what they do to fix you will have the left over mark. Permanent fillers? Not worthy
Yes, I agree 100%. Fillers are dangerous, because the adverse reactions to ANYthing injected are simply too unknown to any given individual. The only injection I think effective, is Sculptra, in the idea that it's an entirely different premise; Not being a "filler" itself, rather "teases" the body into producing it's own collagen. But it's just not that effective, and WAY too expensive. The US has become a 3rd world in science, I'm afraid you're absolutely right about that!
And, also, it's really good to hear about your specific case, because as I AM on medication which causes a bit of facial lyphodystrophy (I had a VERY thin face to begin with too,) I have lately come to the conclusion that cheek implants may be my only safest ave, yet this horrifies me somehow. But as you can see, I REALLY have hollow cheeks, so I'm very interested to hear how your case goes..I don't think I could handle another adverse result, but I'm also depressed over the hollowness in my face Yje best of luck with this..!!
Thank you for your story - all of our posts really help bring this issue into focus collectively and I know I'm benefitting. So I'm equally happy my info can help others, as well. The mid face implants went so well! I was ecstatic with the results and absolutely no problems with them. Since juvederm - because of juvederm - I have this distorted left cheek. It is getting better, however. This ordeal is like cultivating the sort of patience one goes to a meditation retreat for! I swing from distraught to hopeful....mostly due to doctor's unawareness or as you said in your case arrogance about this. But back to the implants - my PS was amazing, he's not the one who injected the juve but he is the one managing it now. He's read the research links I've sent and is open to my input. Thank God! He's in Augusta, GA - I have to drive 2 hours each way weekly to see him but it's worth it. I agree with you about the self shame...I've allowed myself to feel that in depth. Then I look at the other side..,it's natural to want to impriove our looks. And if it's affordable, "safe" and works - why not?' So I'm going to not grieve that anymore but just nurture myself into healing while I learn when and what is enough...,what risks are worth taking, etc. I've learned so much and have deepened my well of compassion! That are the good effects. I've been do healthy and lucky that I've maybe taken it for granted. Not anymore! Gratitude to my body for putting up with my wild ideas - lol!!! Sending you all Loving, Positive, Healing Vibes!
Have you tried facial exercises (resistance training the muscles) to try and build up volume? It works for many of us.
Your story sounds just like mine only I had issues early on and the vitrase didn't help. I am so sorry this is happening to you. This is such a scary thing to go through. What do your lumps feel like?
Thankyou depressedgirl..(These names we take weould be hilarious if not so true..LOL...) The swelling feels "inside" me, like something foreign is in there...On the outside, just like any swelling. But I can definitely feel it, under the eyes I could literally "push" the stuff around..Disgusting & weird, to say the least. I became so desperate at a point, I convinced myself I could "smash" my bottom lip back IN my head....It's just nuts, the things we do...
I will tell you a bizarre story Micheal multitude of 7's I feel your comments to this member to be downright unsuitable.Who knows what else is contained in these fillers BDDE is one a polymer,also thieremosol a derivative of mercury,dangerous stuff.It also contains something similar to antifreeze,and strepptococus equestrian a bacteria that causes strangles disease in horses.Of course no Doctor or Dermatologist in their greedy minds would tell you this,he'll no you find out the hard way when you get sick like I did.Your comments remind me of all the time wasting Doctors who pretended to be concerned when I visited them sick from this toxic bio hazard material.Never seen a reaction like it,it's not possible.This is laboratory engineered HA,not natural in anyone's body.I don't usually post much on here as I've been sick now since 2011,but just reading the very negative comments compels me to post.Ive been left with vision loss in my right eye,hearing loss in my left ear,memory problems,fertility problems,I'm know heading for he menopause starting at 40.I have arthritis in my hands feet and spine,maybe you should look up iatrogenic acquired pathologies,and then judge from there.No two people's compositions are alike,some people can tolerate aspirin some can get seriously ill from taking it.There is no compulsory skin testing available here in England so it's pot luck.Of course your symptoms will be denied,how dare anyone judge anyone until they have travelled that Road.This woman needs help,care and friendly support.If I hadn't found the Doctor that is now treating me I wouldn't be with my kids now.I have never been so sick in my life or had such a reaction to anything,juvederm almost killed me,it was injected into my bloodstream and went systemic.God bless anyone suffering in this Hell,you will get better kx.
Katie Dailey - amen! Thank you for sharing! I looked up this multiple 7's person...he/she is a shit stirrer. Thanks for lambasting him!!' I think Sadie Bee may be right about a class action suit - these fillers are so dangerous and life altering. Thank you for the well wishes for all if us dealing with this! Yes, positivity, support and education is what we need! Blessings to you! Biggyc
Hi Biggyc you are most welcome,it beggars belief that we become sick from these toxic chemicals that these big pharmaceutical companies advertise as safe and God knows what other junk is in it,it takes over our lives and we are told we are imagining it,really.I did ponder the thought that 'Michael'is possibly an Allergan representative or has nothing really interesting going on in his or hers lives than lambasting sick people. Why the hell are there these sites in the first place going strong for so many years if it is indeed so safe.As you say Biggyc education is the key both for Allergan and the needle pushers and the quack Doctors leeching us for thousands if pounds just to tell us there is no such thing,very rude. I hope you are better Biggyc,I totally had to comment it makes me so mad that this is still being ignored by the Medical community and obviously members of the public who come on here to troll others,I generally thought this was an open forum discussion for genuine people suffering ill effects from fillers and people offering support and care and concern.I have tried 6 solicitors so far,it's 3 years in August for me this nightmare began,but I'm not giving up,how dare this stuff take away your life and your left to pick up the pieces,financially,mentally,emotionally. You are all brave coming on hear,I salute you all.The bigger the outpouring of bad experiences the longer the record of proof to shove up the makers of these waste products.That day will come no doubt,at least we are getting it out into the public domain,well done wonderful people kx.
Oh my god Katie daily; I have been having trouble with my eyesight. I never made the connection. Real trouble lately; Cataracts run in my family, so I figured at 58 this could be preliminary problems, but my eyesight took a turn for the worse, much worse, just as I was feeling the "substance" under my eyes. Please, when you get the time, could you explain your symtoms concerning this? I may be in some real trouble here Thanks...I'm so sorry for what we're both enduring
Hi Veryhopless thank you for your message,i hope you are doing better.I've had the symptoms with the eyes for two years now,it all started approximately 8 to 10 days after the juvederm was injected in the glabella area.It started with me opening my eyes one morning and and my vision was blurry,I could feel this stuff slowly moving down into my eyes through the passage if blood flow.The vision got worse on my wedding day 5 days later I could barely see out of my right eye.Thus kept progressing,then the 24 hour intense burning started after hyaluronidase was injected in the same area.It felt like I had crushed burning glass in both eyes but predominately in the right.I had several eye exams,scans and nothing showed just slight inflammation.I had 20/20 vision before all this.I contacted a Doctor in America recently as she has been in articles talking about how fillers can blind you,I told her how I have been left and she said there is a very specific test than can determine any damage from fillers.It is hard in England to find this test,she said what I am experiencing is tissue loss in the cells of the eye,there is no treatment but hopefully vision will not completely deteriorate.Fillers should never be injected near eyes but Doctors will not tell you this,it does migrate if it gets into the bloodstream it can filter anywhere. I now have pixel vision and night blindness at night,my eyes take a long time to adapt from light to dark,my eyes still burn,water,get dry and swollen,I'm still terrified I will lose my sight as really who knows how much damage this can cause.I will still look for a Doctor who can perform this test,I know my eyes have suffered,I remember pleading with Doctors in the many A&E departments I visited that I felt the cells in my eyes had changed,they felt different and damaged,I was to,d I was imagining it and if I kept implying this was correct then they would have to look at psychological causes.Ive now been told there is decreased vision in my right eye,it's also affected my left ear hearing and slightly on the right,but I suppose I've imagined that too,and the memory loss. The test to specifically determine cell damage is called a Floresecene Angiogram,it checks blood flow into the eye and checks for corrosion in the retinal arterial circulation.The Dictors name in America is Dr Michelke Valerie Carle in Los Angeles,Santa Clarita California.Telephone number 001 424 666 4818. This is the number I contacted her on approximately 2 months ago,I hope it is still the same for anyone wanting to contact her.She was quite helpful,it would be interesting to see if this test actually showed any damage,not sure if that would be good or bad.Im not sure how much thu would cost,if I do find anywhere that will provide this test I will go for it,it's the not knowing for sure that is worse,I will keep you posted.Sending healing wishes to you all,keep positive,thinking if you kx.
Thankyou for sharing that. God only knows if it's just old age or what's going on with my eyes, but the timing tells me it was the swelling around my eyes...Since the swelling's gone down, my sight's been less bothered, so I THINK I'm ok...My god what you've gone through...What we've all gone through: I'm very grateful to this site... It has literally kept me glued through a devastating 2 whole years...