I did it! - Seattle, WA

I am a 25 year old single mother of one. I have...

I am a 25 year old single mother of one. I have wanted to fix my nose for at least the past ten years, but have constantly been talked out of it. Family members have told me that I might change my mind with age, or that the results could leave me worse off than I started. Well, here I am many years later, still hating my nose and wanting change it. I'm ready to do something for myself, because at the end of the day it is my nose and I am the one who lives with it and is bothered by it! I just set up my first consultation with Dr. Portuese, and would also like to have a consultation with Dr. Ridgway and Dr. Larrabee. If anyone has experience with any of those doctors or could offer me some advice, I would really appreciate it!!

Consultation

I had a consultation yesterday with Dr. Portuese, and it went very well! They took some before photos and did a simulated after on the profile pic....I loved it and if my profile turned out that way I would be thrilled. The dr said that what he would do to my nose is remove the bump, narrow the nasal bones because they are wide, and lift the tip ever so slightly. He said that because I am tall he wouldn't want to raise the tip too much and have people looking up my nose haha. The only thing that I am a little nervous about is that he said he wouldn't want to do anything to the tip. I feel like my tip is kind of round and bulbous, mostly when I smile. I do trust his opinion but of course I am nervous about this whole procedure and want to love my nose! I think I will ask him about it again. If I go with him I could have the surgery as soon as August 7th, so exciting!

Surgery scheduled!

August 7th it is! I'm so excited, and so nervous. I've wanted this for so long and I really hope I end up happy with the results.

Almost time :)

Picked up my meds, travel pillow, straws, and vaseline...I'm feeling ready! I already have all other little things I'll need for cleaning and healing. I still can't believe I'm actually doing this! For some reason I felt like it would always be something I wished for but never would happen--well its happening! Yay!

Today is the day!

I can't believe it's here! In a few hours I'll be in surgery. I'll update you all once it's over!

day of surgery

I'm a bruiser boo hoo..will update more later

surgery

My surgery yesterday was at noon with a check in time of 11 am. Waiting felt like an eternity! Once I met with Dr. Portuese though it all went very quickly. He was so great and really listened to me and put me at ease. His staff was wonderful as well.

I woke up from surgery in a pretty good mood and got going. Unfortunately in the car I started to feel pretty intense pain and nausea. The pain subsided after about 2 hours, but I did end up vomiting blood last night. Icky! The pain meds upset my stomach so I switched to extra strength Tylenol and feel much better!

3 days post op

I still look pretty bad but am feeling better with each day that passes. Still bruised and swollen, but my bruises are noticeably improving today!

Breathing through my mouth is frustrating. I will definitely celebrate the day my ability to breathe through my nose returns! I also have some massive scabs in my nose that are hard as rocks, but I think they are attached to stitches so I'm not going to mess with them. Better safe than sorry, I'll wait for my first post op appointment.

Hang in there darlings!

Food and eating

For anyone who hasn't had surgery yet, I highly recommend that you get prepared with food as much as possible before surgery. You want low sodium, high protein, and SOFT! Chewing is not pleasant when you're healing, plus you will likely need to breathe through your mouth at the same time. No fun. Here are some things that have been really great so far...
-Smoothies
-Pasta
-Shredded chicken
-Cottage cheese with sliced pineapple or with sliced avocado
-Guacamole
-Bananas
-Blueberries
-Lentil soup (not hot)
-Yogurt
Hope this is helpful to someone :)

4 days post op

Loving my profile on my less - swollen side! No more bump yayyyy! I hope my tip doesn't drop

Day 5, Cast off tomorrow

I am having this stinging/burning/aching sensation inside the right side of my nose. Really hope I'm not getting an infection or something. I will have my first post-op appointment tomorrow, so I'll be sure to mention it then. Other than that, really excited yet nervous to see my nose without the cast tomorrow. From the front the tip of my nose looks super swollen right now, so I'm kind of afraid that I will be horrified when I look at myself in the mirror for the first time. Hope I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. My bruises still look pretty yucky from the front but are now yellow purple and red which is much better than the black blue and purple that they were before. I plan to play with a little concealer tomorrow and see if it helps.

Cast off! Day 6

6 Days post op

So my cast is off and I feel super swollen, especially from the front. Even with the swelling though, I am thrilled with my profile. I know it will continue to improve, but even if it stayed like this it is a clear improvement from my "before" profile. When my cast came off, I wasn't horrified with myself from the front which is good, I wasn't even unhappy. I was just kinda like oh, hmm. But I know that there is a lot of swelling right now so I am going to be patient and try to just not think about it, and instead focus on what I am happy with, which is my profile! Good luck ladies and keep us all posted, it really is so helpful during this process :)

Front view

Yucky swelling from the front. ..must be patient :/

Day 7

Good morning ladies! From the front I'm noticing a bump on the side of my nose and I'm hoping it's just swelling. I do realize how early I am in the healing process. I turned my flash on for this photo because I feel like cell pics are so horrible at showing detail. Please excuse the drainage coming out of my nose, it has been running and there's still some blood in there!

day 8

Today was a bad day. All of my positivity went out the window and I hated my nose all day. I look 10 times worse from the front and it's making me anxious. I keep telling myself it's only day 8, but the possibility of hating how I look from the front is an overwhelming feeling. Ugh. Hoping it's just the swelling.

day 10

Thank you all for your wonderful support! This site and all of the people who contribute to it are really a blessing during the process of surgery and recovery. I realized that I was becoming obsessed with my nose and it's progression and it wasn't a good thing when it would inevitably look ugly and swollen. I've been kind of avoiding looking in mirrors and trying to focus on other things and it is helping! Wish you all the best in your healing, hugs!

day 12

When you compare this to the day 6 pic of my profile, you can see that some swelling has gone down!

2 weeks

Still love my profile! Unfortunately still feel like it looks strange from the front. I wish I could tell you all that I'm absolutely thrilled with my nose, but I can't say that at this point. I am hopeful though as my surgery was only 2 weeks ago! Time will tell :)

Bump?

So, my profile is nice and smooth and the bump that was there is long gone. From the front though, there appears to be a bump on the left side of my nose. I saw it before but there was so much swelling. Now it feels hard and solid like bone. The right side feels smooth, and the left feels like it has a bump and like the bone is tilting outwards, if that makes sense. Should I be concerned, or is this something that could improve with time??

1 month check up

Had my one month post op visit today. It went well and I am not really worried about the bump like I was before. I think it is likely swelling and/or callus and I'm just going to give it time! Everything is looking pretty good and I can't believe it's only been a month. I did get one shot right above the tip of my nose where I am holding some swelling. It did sting, but wasn't too bad! I will post more pics later. Hope you're all doing very well :)