I Should Have Listened to the Drs Who Said "Don't Do It!"

About me: I'm 26 years old, and had fat atrophy...

About me: I'm 26 years old, and had fat atrophy from a radio frequency facial when I was 23 and collagen depletion from using Rogaine in April. I had been looking for something to correct both issues, first looking at a fat transfer, in which I was discouraged by doctors, and then looking at fillers, in which I was also discouraged. But I chose the latter anyway. Hey, I could dissolve it if it didn't work out, right?

- Wrong -

I had Juvederm in the area where the cheek meets the nose and eyes about 2 months ago. 1/2 a syringe total was used altogether. I was going to supposedly the best of the best in Seattle but beware of charming doctors who guarantee success.

I originally had made the appointment because of Botox, which I got, and then she decided it would be nice if I got filler along with it, again stating that it could be dissolved. "Eh, what the heck, could look really good", I thought.

Well. I look different. And not necessarily in a good way. Older is a better adjective. Why? Here is why I think Juvederm made me look older:

1. It spreads. So even if it was injected on top, it will spread downwards, and your cheek looks heavier than it normally does.
  2. Fillers in cheeks emphasize dark circles in those who already have slight ones.
  3. They emphasize nasolabial folds if you put it on the top of your cheek because it weighs the cheek down.
  4. It hogs and hoards all the water in your face. Meaning, any moisture that was around your eyes will be stolen by nearby filler. For me, my eye and jaw area started to look older and dehydrated. A stark difference than before. Either that, or it does boost collagen and all thus all the surrounding areas have the illusion of being older. I'd say the former though by looking at my newly formed eye wrinkles.

Anyway, she had told me to email her if I had any questions. I sent her an email inquiring about getting it dissolved and about the nasolabial folds, and she had responded with one sentence. Understandable considering how busy I'm sure she is, but I will say she had acted like she would respond thoroughly if I had "any" questions.

I went back to her for a second time to only *discuss* the possibility of dissolving the fillers, and she seemed a bit aloof and cold, and told me she thought the fillers looked good. They don't, but I can't blame someone whose face looks unnaturally like a balloon themselves, expecting that their aesthetic taste for cosmetic procedures is good. I now know never to let people like that play with my face.

Now for the wait. I am counting the months until the Juvederm dissolves and there is no way I'd go and get it dissolved, especially by her. I just am wondering if these bags and nasolabial folds are going to be permanent by the time it's completely faded, or whether that area will now look sunken when before it just looked flat. I'd prefer a flat, unwrinkled face (what I had before) than a full, deeply wrinkled face.

Lastly, here are my tips:

• If you are getting filler to make up for some type of perceived deep wrinkles or aging you are getting, first look at this:
  • Make sure your skin is hydrated. Drink your 8 glasses, go to an aesthetician, make sure you are using the right skin care (topical hyaluronic acid is much better than injected), eat your vegetables and starches (wheat has good ceramides in them), and exercise every day if you can.
  • Wear your sunscreen and socialize more. Don't get this done because of a bad breakup or poor self-esteem. Socializing helps you smile, and smiling increases cheek muscles, not to mention releasing oxytocins, which are good for your body. Everyone is attractive in their own way, and being lively and open socially emphasizes this.

Point being: Stay healthy and enjoy the present You. Don't try to go back in time. I've met the coolest people who are full of wrinkles yet have the spirit of a lively 20 year old, simply because they thrive in the present. And that's what youth is; thriving in the present.

Anyway, that's all the advice and experience I can recall for now, but I'll update when I can. I'll post photos once I upload them on my computer.

Here are my tips in choosing a Doc: - Beware of...

Here are my tips in choosing a Doc:
- Beware of those who promise to solve all your problems and guarantee that you'll look much better.
- Beware of those who have bad facial fillers themselves. This should be your first and foremost sign that their aesthetics are OFF.
- Don't base your opinions on just one friend who'd had fillers. Make sure you read multiple reviews and go in for a consultation before doing anything, even if that means you have to wait 3 months for another appointment. You can ALWAYS get put on the cancellation wait list.
- Make sure that it is a Doctor who is doing the fillers, and they've been doing it a LONG time. For some reason, they are more realistic about such procedures. 10 years of hard schooling pays off.

She was very charming, and was the first Practitioner to listen attentively to what had happened to my face from Rogaine and the Radio Frequency Facial. More or less, she felt like a good ol' friend. I'm pretty sure after visiting her a second time that she was just there to sell. Take a look above to see my tips for choosing a good doc.

I am so sorry for what you have gone through - especially at such a young age. It's terrible what lasers, botox and fillers have done to hurt so many people's lives. I would like to add a tip to your list. Ask to see before and after pictures that your doctor has actually done. Not photos from the product company's site. If they tell you, "we done this procedure on many patients but for some reason the photos are not uploaded to our computer" you need to look for another doctor.
Can you privately email the name of your provider? I fear it may be the person Ive been seeing.
Thank you so much for your review. Interesting to note that radio frequency facial caused fat loss in your face. Were you warned that this might be a possible side effect? Would you have done it had you known? I had small spots under my eyes (xanthoma). They seem to run in some of my family. I had CO2 laser done about 15 years ago. The lady (surgeon) was very careful. The spots didnt go entirely but I was happy with the results. The skin took 2 weeks to heal. The outcome was amazing because she was so gentle. Because the xanthoma are hereditary they do come back. About 5 years ago I went for another CO2 laser treatment. This time it was a male doctor (not a surgeon). I didnt realise during the procedure but he was very aggressive. The area took over 2 months to heal and I am left with slight scarring. That wasnt the worst of it. All the fat in my orbital area disappeared. I was left looking skeletal. At first I didnt realise because the area was swollen for so long. When the swelling went down I was horrified. I looked old and ill. My advice to anyone considering any sort of "heat" treatment to the face (or any part of the body for that matter), DONT DO IT!! You might think the immediate results are good, but that's because the area is swollen and stretched. Once the swelling goes down you will realise that the fat has dissipated and you look shrivelled. At that point there is no turning the clock back. For the lower hollowing I exercised the lower eyelid muscle. Unfortunately for the upper hollowing the only solution was surgery. I had fat pearls grafted. Its not 100% perfect but I look less tired unwell and old.
Can any community moderator explain me why the title of my review always gets cut off? Seems like every time I check back after correcting it, it says, "Should have listened to Plastic Surgeons Who Said" which doesn't make too much sense. :) I shortened it to Drs, so maybe that will work. Thanks!
wondering what doctor It is think I might be getting treatment from her soon