Fake Looking Rhinoplasty Result - Did Not Listen to What I Requested - Seattle, WA

I went to alot of effort to book a rhinoplasty...

I went to alot of effort to book a rhinoplasty with Dr Naficy. As an out of town patient i mistakenly settled for a consultation by phone before one more in person at the op. I loved many features about my nose and wanted to and tried to emphasise these to Dr Naficy. I took many photos to our meet but he told me to put them away and just explain what I wanted. I was always made to feel like I was making a bigger deal of the procedure than it was and always felt guilty for asking another question about it. I was naturally scared about the procedure. Dr Naficy didnt go through the risks of the procedure with me or how I might risk losing features of my nose that I currently like in the procedure. He didn't go through what the operation would involve. I always felt like I was pestering him when I asked him another question. I showed him (from his own patient's after photos) what I did NOT want for my nose. However it seems he gives everyone the same nose. I am so sad. I have lost everything that I used to like about my nose. Now it looks very fake and stick like. I feel suicidal. I wish to God that the warning bells went off everytime he shrugged me my questions off and told me I was over-worrying about something, or the time when I tried to show him photos and he acted like this was a stupid and time wasting thing to do. I miss who I was. I was beautiful. People always used to comment on my beauty. There was just one tiny bump that had been making me feel insecure. I wish to God that I had to learned to just love that bump as a part of me. I wish I hadn't put myself through the financial and physical expense of what I've been through. Since the surgery the staff have sent one sentence not especially bothered comments back on my feedback about how the process should be improved - how the doctor needs to go through risks and not just reassure the prospective patient. he should have gone over the risks of every element of the procedure. I find it hard to go on now. I was beautiful. my nose was the best thing about my face. I can't believe I paid someone to change it into something they like. Dr Naficy does one nose look. Look at his site and that's the nose you'll get. He did very extensive work within my nose (which I found out from the operative notes only) when I had been assured that it would be a minimally invasive procedure. Using open rhinoplasty instead of closed rhinoplasty when there was no tip work was also not worth it - my incision has been sore and the tip of my nose rock hard since the operation. He left my nostrils upturned because of where he chose to reattach the tip. I now have a short nose when I loved the length of my former nose. I used to look striking. My nose had been extremely straight in spite of a tiny bump. Now it curves a bit, and looks like stick from the front. My nostrils are narrow and pulled tight because of how he has reattached the tip, so my nostrils are now in one line with the rest of my nose, when they used to be wider than the rest of my nose. I look like I have a line for a nose. This procedure has made me want to hide away from the world now. I have spent so much money on this procedure - all my savings - I now have nothing left - and it breaks my heart to know that I spent all my savings for someone to rob me of me. I don't feel like myself any more. I feel fake. I look fake. I didn't want a new nose but that's what he's given me. I wanted MY nose just with a tiny bump shaved off. But he very easily included other changes which I asked him about doing but deep down didn't think were necessary. I realise now that he just does '1 nose' and that's all he was ever planning to do with me. I used to have a soft nose, the tip used to be round and low, the nose was striking and long. Now I have a short upturned nose, which looks very pointy because of the nostrils and reduced length. I look so different from the profiles that I used to adore. I have also aged myself considerably by this procedure - I used to always be told I had a youthful and beautiful face and now the darkness and loss of fat under my eyes and loss of skin elasticity around my eyes has aged me 10 years. I just wish he had gone through the risks. I think I would not have had this procedure if I had known there were so many elements of myself I was at risk of losing. However obvious this might be he should have gone through it. Please think twice about rhinoplasty - with or without Dr Naficy. and if you're going with Dr Naficy, make sure you want a nose like those shown on his site - he doesn't do any other noses. I feel suicdal after my experience, which is sad because I had been at a point in my career where things were starting to finally get going. I have also had post nasal drip and a horrendous cough since rhinoplasty which has been hard to deal with. I can't forgive myself for pushing myself into surgery with these people who always made me feel guilty for asking another question and stupid for worrying so much about a 'little' procedure.

I now have empty nose syndrome due to the surgery

I am now suffering from empty nose syndrome. This has destroyed my life. I am now unable to sleep or breathe properly any more.

I have also learnt that alar struts were put in my nostrils

I was told that no work would be done to my nostrils.

My nose is still upturned

Various doctors in the UK have confirmed that my nose has been shortened (not what I wanted) and that the tip is now upturned slightly. I am distraught. I had loved the look of my nose. There was just a small bump I wanted to work on. I can now no longer breathe properly either due to emtpy nose syndrome.

This was the single worst decision of my life

I am not sure whether I can continue with life. I had just started my career but this has destroyed my appearance and my health (and finances, but that's less important, at least money is replaceable).

Dr Naficy's staff search Real Self for bad reviews

Guess what? I got an email from Dr Naficy saying that his staff had found a review by me on Real self that 'hurt' his feelings! I asked him - how could he know it was my review - given how many hundreds of rhinoplasties he does every year! he then sent me a link to it, I don't know what he was trying to prove! anyway. I find it strange that his staff monitor reviews. it seems very business focused. all about 'keeping up appearances'. surely it would be better if they just genuinely kept in touch with their patients and did their best to ensure their well being? and ask their patients how they are doing? but no. they only care about what you think if it's online. i asked him why he is not happy with patients expressing their honest opinions online? and most importantly of all - shouldn't he be more concerned about why I am upset then why I have written about why I am upset online?

Do not fall for the sweet talk of Dr Naficy's patient care -cordinators

I was assigned a patient care coordinator from the day I began enquiring about surgery. Her name was Vivian, but the name is irrelevant, I'm sure all of them are the same. Basically she sweet talked to me a hell of a lot, all she did was reassure me. I realise now that most of the time the patient care co-ordinator or Dr naficy talked to me it was all just positive reassurance and 'you're worrying about nothing'. as mentioned before, dr naficy not once went through the risks or surgical procedure with me. i was gullible and thought this was acceptible. he didnt even do imaging. crazy now i come to think of it, when i paid double for his services what most surgeons usually charge. and i later find that he has changed so much about my nose, instead of keeping it mostly the same. he did invasive unnecessary surgery. and now i have empty nose syndrome. also this patient care co-ordinator was 'so helpful' before surgery, before she had my money, always responding to my questions. but since surgery, since i've come back to the uk and have become distressed she has not been replying at all! the dr sometimes replies (which is better than i have come to expect after my experience i'll admit, and i appreciate that, not that it's something i should feel is an 'extra') but again - days will go by after i have sent him a question about an area of medical concern and he will not reply. i can't understand how you do that to your patients. now i realise the whole point of the patient care co-ordinators is to minimise the amount of time the dr has to spend with you.looking back i spent so much time talking to Vivian, and hardly any talking to the dr, which now makes no sense at all. i was also a natural beauty before this surgery and that also makes me realise that i was taken advantage of - a normal doctor would have turned me away - saying i don't need surgery. now i have to try and get revision rhino (by another dr) to see if he can restore some of my original features. i don't know if i am strong enough to keep going but will try. i feel that dr naficy and vivian destroyed my life. i can never forgive them for what they have done to me. i will keep asking him medical questions and i feel he should respond in accordance with his responsibiilty to me as a dr, but the more i look back on my experience with these people, the more i realise that for them it's all about making a quick buck. dr naficy maybe a a skilled dr, but he doesn't pay enough attention to what the patients want. he'll give you the one nose job that he seems to do. go see a dr who can do 3d imaging. go see a dr who will listen. most importantly go see a doctor who CARES about you. all i have ever been made to feel when working with these people (right from the start) was guilt for asking questions - when i never asked enough and was given more positive reassurance than information.

Ok - Now even Dr Naficy has stopped answering my post op concern questions

Because they are too offended by my review on real self they are refusing to give me any more post op care advice. I think this is disgusting. To give up on the care for your patients because of being offended by her writing about her honest experiences online. They should be concerned about the well being of their patient first and foremost but it seems they care more about maintaining their reputation and will refuse to give you further care if you say anything bad about them online (you should be allowed to share your opinion).

Planning a revision (if I can keep myself surviving that long)

All doctors I've seen now confirm that Dr Naficy reduced the projection of my nose and shortened the tip when this is not what I wanted (I just wanted a small bump removed). In fact this is why I took photos of myself I loved to see him at the consultation - to emphasise what I currently loved about my nose.

The doctors I've seen have told me that this will be very difficult to restore the length and projection of my nose. Apparently Dr Naficy cut away skin from my columella because of an 'overly bulbous tip' when I had loved my tip.

The doctors I've seen have also confirmed that my nose is wider now because Dr Naficy used so many spreader grafts (down the sides of my nose aswell as on the top). Why I have no idea - I had loved my beautiful delicate femine nose - now it is just this fat shapeless block.

i don't understand how he could have made these changes when i emphasised again and again that i loved my nose and wanted subtletly. especially when i told him that i loved my profile in particular and didnt want this to change. i used to have a very delicate and indian-european/roman nose (to match my ethnicity), now i have a fat block for a nose. and there is no distinct cute tip like there used to be.

all i wanted was subtley. but he did work on the tip (alar graft and reduced tip), he shortened my nose and reduced its projection, and he used spreader graft and did a septoplasty.

so i ended up with about as many changes as one can fit into a rhinoplasty! i had emphasised how much i loved my nose and how i had wanted subtledly and minimally invasive procedure. which is why i had brought in photos to show him what i loved about my nose.

but he basically gave me a new nose. he went with his own idea of beauty instead of listening to me. i was beautiful to myself before, now I can not look in the mirror. it is even hard to brush my teeth any more because of this.

and the mucous has not returned to my nose. doctors have told me that it is likely the nerves were traumatised my the surgery and now and damaged.

the doctors i have seen about revision rhinoplasty want to plan in detail with me what i want - they want to go through each step with me - it is the complete opposite of dr naficy's approach. he gives you hardly any personal time and says "yep, i can do that" and leaves it at that . i can't believe that he does not discuss the surgical steps that he is going to take with his patients. i assume its because he thinks we are too dum to understand. but the doctors i've talked to have explained what surgery he did and i was able to understand so i guess i wasn't eh?

why on earth would a doctor operate on a patient before telling them what they are going to do? i see, it takes up far too much of his time. time that could be used for another operation and earning more money.

i can't believe that i flew abroad to the US for this surgery. i had made all the extra effort because i wanted to go with a doctor who i thought would do a good job. but it appears i couldnt have picked a worse doctor. most doctors will go through modelling and predicted outcome, the risks and the surgical procedure or at least will listen to what you like about your nose. this doctor did none of these things. i keep beating myself up for having done rhinoplasty, but now i see that it wasn't even a bad thing to want to smooth out a little bump, it was just that i should have seen another doctor. maybe i would have seen that doctor and decided not to smooth out that little bump, but it would have been good to have seen a doctor who cared and explained the procedure. i wish to God i had never done rhinoplasty. my life has fallen apart since the surgery. i have gone from being a strong independent woman to someone who needs support and someone who hates herself. i used to have so much self-love and now all i have is self-hate. i was beautiful. now i have this fat shapeless block of a nose. with no tip and without my characteristic beautiful nose length and projection. i hope that i can survive long enough for a revision. i will get the widening spreader grafts removed and see what can be done about restoring the length and angle of my nose. i am distraught that one doctor said that this would be very difficult. i hate that this has destroyed my life.

Still no reply from Dr Naficy/staff

I recently went to see several doctors in London regarding revision rhinoplasty. They all confirmed that Dr Naficy had shortened my nose (when this is not what I wanted) as well as did alot of unnecessary and invasive grafting work, when all I had wanted was for a small bump to be removed from my nose. I emailed this news to Dr Naficy. He did not reply. He is still acting like an offended cry baby. For f's sake. grow up - aren't you a man and a professional? nope. clearly he knows he is in the wrong.

Received email from another ex-Naficy patient

Someone just sent me an email (for some reason they would like to remain private, though they may choose to share their story on real self at a later date) and I want to quote what they said here:

"Hi, I'm so sorry for what you have been through. I am 6 months out and he did the exact thing to me despite numerous photos and just asking him to remove a bump. My nose is so shortened and upturned. I emailed him but he said to wait a year and we can look at options. If he thinks I would do a revision with him, he's insane. Did you ask for a refund? How are you doing now? I am devastated and look in the mirror and see a completely different person now. A revision is another risk and am afraid it will be even worse "
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reassuring, reassuring, reassuring. But does not explain the risks. Does not explain the bad stuff that could happen. Does not listen to what you want in your nose. Just gives you the nose that he does.

Can you share your pics please. I am booking my revision with him!!
Hey sorry i've been MIA, I've been insanely busy, but you've been on my mind. Please dont do anything to yourself.. I know what it feels like to feel the way that you do because ive been through it, but its not worth throwing ur life away over something that can be fixed. I hope u give me a call one day so i can hopefully support u, but it would be a shame if u'd do anything to urself considering how much u have going for u and especially considering that this can be fixed..
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

he has literally given me a shapeless block for a nose. a wide shapeless block. it is horrible. it's 8 weeks now so most of the swelling will have gone. but yeah, the revision docs i have seen say that he put spreader grafts along the sides of my nose aswell as on the top which caused this shapeless wideness. i just hope that when they remove the spreader grafts, that the underlying structure of my nose will not have changed too much. although he did a septoplasty and it sounds like he took tons of cartilage from my septum for all these grafts. apparently one doc i have seen has told me he could removed my tiny bump with rasping under local aneasthetic . i can not for the life of me understand why dr naficy went to such extremes. i think the truth is - he only knows how to do one nose and is only comfortable doing that.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I am sorry you are going through all this, but I am not doing too well after my surgery at this point either. I am two months post-op and developed a prominent bump on the middle part of my bridge. I am hoping that this is just swelling, but only time will tell. I know it's hard to wait such a long time to get a revision, but you have to stay strong. Try to keep your mind off of it as much as you can. Call me if you get a chance, I am not on here very often.
I understand. I'm male and stupidly got a rhinoplasty when I never hated my nose (ie. I was not ashamed of it or dreaded looking at my photographs, etc.) - just listening to other's advice. The surgeon gave me a woman's nose. Just a narrow column with the nostrils isolated. Basically it screamed nose job; people literally laughed at me or gave me dirty stares. My life has been a living hell since that day. I was very attractive naturally (just had a large Roman nose - but it fit my face perfectly). I used to look exotic, rugged like an Italian or Australian. Women everywhere flirted or smiled at me - I'm not exaggerating - I wish I were. Now all of that is gone. I have this fake ugly nose that looks feminine and done. I got a revision, but since I have BDD I'll never forgive myself. I see uglier people who love themselves as they are and me despite very attractive, could not. The women I know who used to like me, hate me now. Just leaving the house has become a burden. I feel like a prisoner; imprisoned in my own life while everyone else enjoys their life. I hate plastic surgery. No one should have to change themselves; no one is ugly. We may think our noses are ugly, but others don't see it that way.
you make some really good points..
Yes, i feel the same..I only wanted a small change but now I miss my old nose and the way it looked. I hope you eventually feel more satisfied. How long has it been since your procedure?
June 27, 2013 - the worst day of my life. The day my life became a living nightmare. I did a revision on May 16, 2014. It's much better but I'll never look as attractive as I did naturally. It's something I'll have to accept...It's something I'll never forgive myself for.
sorry to hear that.. I feel your pain...i talked to a therapist and she said it wasnt my "fault"and not to be angry at myself, bc if it had turned out exactly as how I expected than I would not be disappointed, and then of course wouldn't be complaining about the result. How did you get the refund? just asking? and did u even consider suing? since you ending up doing a revision and spending more money ..I think it is not just the money spent, but the potential therapy, lost wages that should be accounted for when I get a refund but I doubt I would get that.. I also doubt I would get the anesthesiologist fees or surgery center fees back either. I have not even asked for a refund yet..but I might within the next few months
Yes I only got the procedure refund back. The other fees were not refunded. It is my fault, I chose to do this - hence I pay the price. It's like any bad choice in life, it has a price. Alcohol, drugs, etc.
I mean plastic surgery is just that, plastic. It looks fake. The nose is solid, it lacks fluidity and has tell-tale marks that natural noses lack. Only very subtle changes look real. I feel scammed because I told him I don't want it to look done or fake. I wanted it masculine. Yet he did the complete opposite. Gave me a generic femine plastic nose. I wish I saw celebrities to know how bad it looks. What kills me is that I looked so handsome naturally. Women loved my look. They told me I resemble an actor. Yet I threw that away for something fake. Might as well shot myself in the face because now no woman will give me a chance.
I kept pestering him for months unitl he gave it to me. But he made me sign papers saying I wouldn't defame him.
aww..I guess you wont post before/after photos? I have not done that yet either. I know what you are saying. I was worried about the same thing, looking natural Well, looks are not the only thing women go for when they like men, but I bet you look better than you think
Hey, I am really sorry about your experience. I actually originally booked my surgery with Dr. Naficy (made the deposit and everything), but then cancelled it and went with another surgeon. He was going to charge me more than $15,000 for primary, but that's not the reason I cancelled. There are actually many reasons why I cancelled, but one of the main ones was that I found some negative reviews on him which are buried among the dozens of positive (fake) ones... Yes, I do believe most of his reviews on here are fake. If you look at the reviews of any reputable surgeon (other than those that also use fake reviews...), most of them have maybe a maximum of 50-60 reviews with pictures of actual patients and regular updates. Naficy on the other hand, has one paragraph reviews with no pictures and the 'reviewer' never replies to the comments that other realself users leave on the review. This was definitely a red flag for me. Having said that, despite the fact that I was very thorough in picking my surgeon, I am still unhappy with my result at the moment. I am very early in my recovery - only 11 days post-op, so I know that I am speaking prematurely, but there are already certain things that I know I am not going to be happy with, particularly how much the width of my tip was reduced. Like you I feel like it really took the personality out of my face.. I am feeling depressed at the moment, but I am trying to stay calm as there are things that can be done in the future (like fillers or a revision - even though I was really hoping not to go that route). Life is not over. I am saying this now, but there are moments when I feel totally devastated. I think every single plastic surgeon should ask the patient if there are any features of their nose that they actually want to keep. I tried to make myself clear but I still didn't get what I want. I will pm you so we can talk. Please stay strong and get help from a psychologist if necessary while you're healing.
yes, i agree with my surgeon not listening to what I wanted either. I am considering asking for a refund...hopefully I can get it
Mine gave me a refund, but it will never be enough compensation. My life is ruined. It's a fact. I'll never be the same person nor will I ever feel the same happiness I used to feel. It's over and it's all my fault for not accepting myself.
Raul7, can you message me who your surgeon was? The one who did the bad nose job? Was it Naficy?
Email me at b_buck60@hotmail.com
Thanks for sharing your experience on RealSelf.