Smooth Results but Doesn't Last As Long As Advertised, more bruising and swelling - Scottsdale, AZ

The juvederm ultra plus is slightly better than...

The juvederm ultra plus is slightly better than the regular juvederm. It always gives smooth results but you swell a lot for a week then it goes down a LOT. Disappointing if it's your lips that go away so fast. I work out a lot so I process fillers rather quickly. Perlane lasts longer for me but the juve tends to have less lumps. Had it in my tear troughs before I had my blepharoplasties done and it gave me a bluish hue in that area. I get a really good deal on it so I kind of alternate between the 2 brands for my lips and nasal folds. Juve lasts like a month and half for me.

Had juvederm ultra plus 2 days ago in my lips....

Had juvederm ultra plus 2 days ago in my lips. Haven't had it in a while (been using perlane). The injections were much more painful than I remember. I do perlane without numbing cream and can handle it but the juvederm without numbing cream was nearly unbearable. I had tears running down my face most of the time and I never felt the numbing effects of the lidocaine in the filler. Swelling was much more than the perane. 2 hours later, signs of bruising were already appearing despite constant ice packs applied afterwards.

Now to today, 2 days after. My lip volume and shape looks great but I know it will go down a lot (seemingly more than perlane) as I have experienced w juvederm in the past. Lips still feel tender when pressed or massaged. I have some nasty bruising on both upper and lower, an angry vibrant red purple hue that is very hard to conceal with makeup. While I was layering on the concealer yesterday before I went to work, it occurred to me that I only bruise to this extent w juvederm. Hardly w perlane. Last time I had this juvederm bruising I had it for like 2 weeks:(

Will likely stick to perlane in the future. In the meantime, I need to find a heavy duty concealer..

It has been 2 weeks since I had my last juve and...

It has been 2 weeks since I had my last juve and it seems to have nearly disappeared by the the amount that I "went down." I am going to get a touch up with Perlane soon..maybe in about 2 wks. I know it is still there but the difference in results I had from the first wk til now is dramatically disappointing. My bruising is long gone but so is my desired volume.
Ultra Smooth Skin

They have amazing monthly specials on fillers, botox/dysport, peels and more. They have recently started to offer zeltiq which I am eager to try if it works!!

Hi my Name is Michelle I was hoping you could help me :) I got restilyne for lips 2 weeks ago by a plastic surgeon , the first day they looked so good but after a couple of days they started to look ducky . My husband said I had Bart Simpson lips lol . The Dr injected to much into the boarder of my top lip it isn't horrible but I noticed it and then my bottom lip was not full enough . So today I went back and I got more in my bottom lip and he put more in my top lip too . I'm just wondering how to get this done and avoid getting duck lips next time . Ty :)
Oh and I should add that he only put the half in my top lip. The bottom wasn't touched so maybe that's why I feel duckish, bc the bottom is all nice and settled, no swelling. And the top is freshly injected and still swollen. I have photos attached on my profile bc I "Asked a Dr" back when my lips were uneven, and then again recently with my inquiry about the stiffness after 3 days. Thanks:)
So I looked at your pic and I see what you mean. I have gotten a similar "dent" effect when the borders are done, its weird it seems to travel a little from the injection site.  You may feel less ducky btw if you get more for the volume of your lips, the borders are done to make the lips turn out a little.  Next time ask about doing your lower pillows (typically the lips we all want have this, it is the 2 full roundish areas on the lower lip in the center) and your inner borders(or wet borders, basically right before your dry lip skin turns into that sensitive inner lip tissue. if you find a pic of lips you like it is helpful if you show it to your injector so they can see what you like about your "ideal" lip so they can try to give you a similar effect.  I hope this helps! Let me know how your filler settles:)
Thanks so much! I barely has any top lip to begin with. And while my lips looked pretty when I smiled, I'd feel so blah and plain when my lips were relaxed. I took in photos of Ashley Green for lips because I felt they were the same shape but more volume and more of a top lip. I wanted defined with nice strong peaks. The med spa girl injected in my vermillion but the PS injected above my vermillion(on the low side) and then in the middle of the lip in other parts. I think I'm going to stick with the PS next time. He was so quick and he only does faces so I have a good feeling about him. Anyway, today is day 4(counting day 1 as the day I received injection) and they feel less stiff this morning. When I look down they don't feel as heavy as they did yesterday. I've been avoiding looking down at all bc I was too scared to pull my skin and make wrinkles! Lol. For a second there, I panicked that the new weight in my lips was starting to cause laugh lines but this morning they're gone. I now realize it was swelling that made it appear as if I had light laugh lines. I'm 37 and have been lucky thus far not to have wrinkles, my problem is mostly volume loss in the cheek area. I'd love to plump them up with Perlane. My PS recommended one syringe Perlane along my cheekbones that I may do at some point in the future. He doesn't do filler under the eyes but he said placing it along my cheekbones will smooth out my under eye area. It has taken me 2 years to finally move forward with lip filler so I'm taking baby steps. I'm a wimp when it comes to these things. Plus, I think I might be a little "OCD" about the perfection of results . ;) Thank you so much for replying so soon. You've made me feel so much better. How much juvederm do you usually get in your lips? The first time? I feel like 1.5 is alot for a first timer! I hope my top lip isn't overfilled. It doesn't "look" it. It just "feels" full.
Hi Scottsdale, I wanted to ask you a question since you seem quite experienced in receiving lip filler. I got my very first lip injection at a reputable med spa 3 wks ago (Juvederm). I wanted a very subtle plump. She used one syringe for both top and bottom. I was happy with the size but after 3 wks, my upper lip was uneven. One side looked fuller than the other. So I went back and she said that fixing the assymetry is very difficult and not something she thought she could confidently do. So I went to a respected plastic surgeon in my area, and he said he could easily fix the unevenness with half a syringe. So I decided to do it bc the unevenness was really bothering me. I was sick of having to use lip liner to fix it everyday. Anyway, now my lips are even! Yay! The only thing is I'm worried the top lip is now overfilled. It's been 3 days and it feels stiff when I smile. Will it go down? I have a little bruising and I'm sure they're still a bit swollen. They look great from the front, but I'm worried its duckish from the side or when I smile. Is 1.5 syringe juvederm too much? This is my first time so I don't know! And of course it's only been 3 days since the touch up of the half syringe. He wants to see me in 2 wks for my follow up so I'm hoping everything is settled down by then and I won't need to have any removed. I work out a lot too so maybe some most of it will go down on its own anyway in a few weeks. He used Juvederm Ultra. I don't know if the med spa girl used regular juvederm or juvederm ultra. Also, I've been reading some of these "unhappy results" on the site and I hope getting filler in lips won't cause wrinkles around my mouth! It seems a couple people had that side effect. I definitely don't want that because I don't have any wrinkles yet. And my last question- once all the filler dissolves over time, will my lips go back to their original state or will they be all stretched out and saggy? Please get back to me when you can. Thanks so much!
Don't worry at all, the Juve for me always has a tendency to be very full and somewhat stiff for a good 2 weeks afterwards.  Then for me it seems to go down too much (as it "smooths out" which it is known for, that "gel like" consistency.) that is why I prefer the thicker, stiffer Perlane -it seems to be more consistent as far as keeping its volume and the beginning result being closer to being true to post swell result.  I do feel your body processes it much faster if you work out a lot like you and I do.  I always have a little unevenness that I notice but that's prob from just the way we talk and use our facial muscles (with regards to being right or left handed and favoring certain sides), I notice my right side on my nasal folds and lips seem to go down faster. Who knows if that is real or not but it is for me!  If you keep up with the filler it is reported to encourage some collagen production after a while (you will notice you will need less for your touch ups) so I don't think you will be deflated and stretched out unless you go the extreme you see sometimes with women going way over the top. I think it is a good idea too to always keep your lips moisturized and use spf on them since they do get a little stretched when they get swollen. I absolutely love and always use Blistex Silk & shine for the spf protection (its only a few bucks!) and one that I have most recently tried for night time is Sally Hansen Peptide Lip Smoother- its kinda milky at first w a little soft grainy feeling to it but it is sup to have vitamins, shea, -and help w fine lines (it has a form of a mild retinol-Retinyl Palmitate).
I'm about to post a photo of my lips as they look this morning. They look much better than the first time around. More "pillowy" and definitely more even. :)
He Scottsdale! I live in the Phx area and heard about Dr. Holden's unfortunate personal woes, I was going to have my lips done by him but now I am sad that I can't! Would you still recommend going to Ultra Smooth Skin to have Perlane done, and if yes, who was your NP and would you recommend them? Thank you!
Lisa is the NP there and she is good, I don't know if she uses Perlane much in lips though.  I think she prefers Restylane or Juvederm (it is more traditional for the lips).  They do have great deals there too.  I know, I still miss having a specialized dr that knows me and I am comfortable with. I haven't had the time to find another yet but probably will soon...
I appreciate the input, I assume Restylane would last longer than Juvederm so perhaps that is a good option for now :) Good luck on your hunt, if you find one that is good and does Perlane in the lips pls let me know!
So far it is hard to tell..I had a teeny bit of Restylane in my lips when I was getting other facial areas done and so far I would say it stays a bit firmer longer than the Juve but therefore keeping its volume bc it doesn't "smooth out' as much like Juve is known for.  I can however tell you I do notice the thickness difference in the Restylane and Perlane.  Oh how I miss my Perlane maintenance I used to get lol....*sigh*   Anyways, I went with the Restylane bc I wanted to fix my tear trough area and Perlane is way too thick to put there.  I still haven't even really pursued finding a new face upkeep doc, the thought of it has made me dread the attempt.  But I am coming up on some things needing touchups so I suppose I should get on it.  Perhaps next week I will narrow it down- I will def update you on any consult/dr intro updates!
Wow... I think I over-paid significantly!!!!! I just had it done 2 days ago... first time. The lips and the laugh lines. I am only 33, do its not like I had HORRIBLE lines to fill and my lips aren't that thin. BUT - he used TWO entire syringes AND I was charged $750 per syringe!!! It ended up being $1,500!!!! I don't see anything close to that price anywhere on this site! You seem pretty experienced with this, so I thought I would write to you. They also told me it lasts YEARS. He and his associate both said this AFTER the procedure was completed... I questioned them... "years!?!?" I said. And they both said "Yep!" Ugh...was I taken for a fool or what? :(
Pricing varies-doctors charge much more than med centers for their extensive experience, knowledge and education.  However, a lot of doctors have nurse injectors to handle most of their filler business.  That price I have posted is how much it was the first time I ever got Juve with an additonal discount for being a member of the gym that occupies the building-and it was at a med center,  The np there has tons of experience under her belt though.  You just have to do some research to find a credible injector whether it be a dr or a np,  That center's current price is higher now but still reasonable - 450 or 2 for 700.  At most plastic surgeons locally here in AZ, I believe the price is between 500-600.  Some doctors may work with you if you have a lot of other competive prices and you ask nicely:)   No current fda approved fillers claim to last years but some semi permanant ones like radiesse, hydrelle (formerly elevess), and sculptra  claim up to a year but are made of not hyaluronic based (except the hydrelle).  Be careful with these as they are not reversible if you get a result that is not so satisfactory,  You were not a fool, just trusting because you didn't know any better.  Most doctors would not take advantage of this but it is still safe to do some research before you jump into a new unknown so you don't feel like you are being led blindly. I do hope you can have a good experience someday with fillers-in the right hands they can make subtle and amazing differences.  If you have any questions about anything, you have at least one friend now that you can ask:)
Thank you so much for your response! :) I really appreciate you taking the time to share your insight with me. I will definitely be looking into it more carefully next time. I am thrilled with the results!! So, I am sure I would want to do it again. I wish it did last for years, like they claimed... but, for now I'll just enjoy the results :) I live just outside of Philadelphia and had the procedure done at a plastic surgery center in an area called "the Main Line" - notoriously expensive area in the Philly suburbs. The entire procedure was handled by the Dr. himself, and he did administer Lidocaine injections inside my mouth to numb me before administering any of the Juvederm shots. Other places that I've called have said they use ICE to numb you shortly before the procedure or that the Juvederm itself contained Lidocaine. Um... Yikes! And, although the price I paid was the highest I've heard of (ugh!) I have done some research and it seems to generally be more expensive in this area than many other areas of the country. Why? Who knows! I got an email recently for a "special deal" on juvaderm at 1 for $650 from a different provider. I guess I didn't get ripped off too badly... I would love to share my photos with you and get your thoughts!! (please keep in mind I had a poor excuse for lips to begin with, so the "after" might look like anyone else's "before"- haha) I had the same crazy bruising you had and the lumpiness but the bruises have since cleared and the lumpiness is smoothing out. I really do love the results!! I just need to travel somewhere else to get it done next time :) Thanks again for your feedback! -- I'll create my own post to describe my experience in a few - with pictures! Then you can see how badly I needed some lips... haha!
What does your scottsdale dr charge? Just had 1 full sir. Of juvaderm injected into my lips. Not a huge noticable difference. I love it but they are verrrry lumpy and were purple blue and bruised. I am hoping the lumps are bruises.

Im in phx as well so more info would be awesome!

Plz dont mind the awful typing. First thing im writing on my new phone. Learning curve.

Hi Chronic,

So the price on my initial review was a price from a med aesthetics place I go to sometimes but that was a while ago-their price is 450 i think but they have a monthly special 2 for 700 right now.  If you choose to go there, it will be a np injecting you.  She is great but if you need more extensive areas done like I do (nose bridge, chin, etc..) than you need to go to a doctor.  I recommend my dr since I have been using his services for a few years and also bc he is a facial specialist so he doesn't do his work a little here and there all over like a lot of general plastic surgeons, he chooses to specialize in the face.  This was important to me bc I didn't want my face in the hands of someone that doesn't do faces for the majority of there work and does 90% boob job, lipo, and other body work.  Dr Holden I believe charges 500 but I would call and ask as he has his periodic specials like most.  You can mention you saw his reviews on realself.

I noticed I bruise more often with Juve and its always very dark, a nasty plum color that graduates to a angry red-fuschia.  Also, I get a lot more initial swelling so the results seem more disappointing after a week or so.  I mostly use Perlane and throw in a Juve once in a while for its smooth consistency.  btw, you shoudn't be TOO lumpy from the Juve since that is the advertised advantage of the brand (gel-like consistency).  I do get slight lumps from Perlane but it smooths out some and it keeps the volume better and longer for me (and rarely bruise).  Everyone is different so keep that in mind...

Good luck, let me know how it goes!
I cannot believe these people who want to chastise you for using fillers! Maybe they are jealous or bitter?! I am thinking about getting fillers for my lips, marionette lines and perhaps the hollow part of my lower cheek at age 29. Not sure though since I've heard some horror stories on here but girl, you look good and I commend you for your cool headed responses to those who criticize you for your choices!

Thanks sobechic:)    You know, there will always be ppl that judge, I like to think it's bc they just don't know as much as they think there is to know.  I remember in my early 20's never thinking i would be into the facial enhancers but here I am now, an advocate for whatever makes you look and feel your best!

29 is a great age to do subtle maintenance, a lot of the sun damage we did to ourselves early on starts showing up and the 11's start being a little more pronounced between the brows.  I started enhancers at 29 and wished I started at 28.  When you enter your 30's you realize the benefits of regularly getting light peels, using retinol, moisturizing with spf, and touch ups of botox to prevent deep wrinkling.  It's natural to lose facial fat as we age so a little filler here and there can really make a difference-ppl think of overly done faces with duck lips when they hear about  fillers but that is not the norm.  If you get it done in a subtle way, most ppl would never guess you had it unless you told them.  But you will look a tiny bit more refreshed bc you are keeping up with the loss of the facial fat.

I say if you are financially able to do it for yourself, go for it!  You only live once!  :)
Thank you so much for mentioning exercise tends to burn Juvederm right out of your face! I had no idea that would happen; it's something I'm just now noticing on myself. I had dermal fillers done June 27, 2012 (cheeks, tear troughs, lips, and temples), and I'm already noticing less fullness in my lips and under my eyes, possibly due to the puffiness residing (which wasn't that bad for me), who knows. It's kind of depressing to think all that money ($1,500) will be gone within a month or so. Speaking of which, is $292 what you spent for one appointment, per syringe, etc? Btw, you look amazing, pre and post-fillers!

Thanks! glad to help-there is a lot I wish I knew before I started getting fillers too!  That was one syringe at my med aesth place I sometimes go to (dr's price always more) but that price has gone up as Juve now puts more product in their syringes.  instead of .7 ml it is 1ml.  It is 345 now I think.  The smoothness that Juve is known for tends to be one of the things that makes its seem like it disappears so much faster I think too,  Working out really makes a difference in how my body processes fillers-botox too!  Everyone is different though really.  Some ppl swear they can go 6 months or more but I prefer to get touched up every other month.  Seems less obvious than waiting until all the filler is gone then POOF all off a sudden I have full lips again LOL.  My plastic surgeon banks my syringes for me so I don't use all of it in one sitting.  I would guess that I use maybe 4 syringes a year total.  The juve did that for me too-I did the same areas that you did w the exception of the temples and used 3 syringes and within a month it was gone.  I didn't know better and used the reg Juve not the ultra plus.  It swells a lot but goes down by at least 50% after a wk or so for me.  So i have figured out a maintenance routine where I use Perlane but use Juvederm every so often.
It would be nice if these fillers lasted 6 months or more, like you mentioned some people have said; but again, I'm not noticing that longevity. I'm seeing my doc again in another month, so it'll be interesting to see what will or won't be done. I really loved the results at the beginning, but the cost--omg! There's no way I could keep up with it. I will double-check about whether or not she used regular Juvederm or ultra plus (honestly, I don't remember), so thanks again for mentioning that. I'm really hesitant about using Perlane, though. (If I recall, it's derived from pigs, right?) Would you know if fat distribution surgery (is that the term?) would be a better/cheaper route? Or even implants (like cheek/lip)? I asked my doc about the fat surgery, and she discouraged me from that without a real explanation.

The lips last the shortest amount of time bc you are moving them so much.  I have been using Perlane for over a year and prefer it (rarely bruise, volume lasts longer, less initial swelling, almost always rebates for it).  Its made from non-animal stabilized hyaluronic acid gel.  Fat transer is still an iffy subject bc the unpredictable longevity and how your body stabilizes it.

If you go to a facial specialist they will have more confidence in it from having done it more often.  Also it is always good to get more than one expert opinion.  The good thing with fillers versus implants is that if you don't like your results, you can easily add to it or get it absorbed (drs have stuff they can inject to absorb the filler).  Fillers are less costly as you do them consistently in the long run.  They encourage your body to produce a little more collagen as well from what i've heard.  Good luck, let me know how it goes, what ever you choose to do...

If you didn't know who Georgia May Jaggers father was, I am sure the public would blame her beautiful pout on injections. Looks like daddy's mouth when younger. We all get older and Mick and Jerry Hall do not believe in
anti aging fillers or surgery. Just grow old...what is wrongvwith that? They have the money but do not nip tuck or inject. And people maje fun if him. It is sad. Beautiful offspring.

There is nothing wrong with growing old...I am just doing it looking good:)  and maybe more gracefully than if I didn't have a little help from botox and fillers.  There is also nothing wrong with enhancing what you have (btw they arent permanant, just subtle things to help feel you look your best)  It is sad if ppl forget they are for enhancing and over use them to completely change their face and it turns out bad but those instances are not as common as you think.  You prob see many enhanced faces everyday-walking down the street, at the store, at your workplace-and you wouldn't even know it bc the majority of ppl use it properly as a subtle enhancer so you don't know unless they tell you they did it!  It's not our place to judge really...don't you think?
I wanted to use it as a subtle enhancement, but it did change my face. It changed the shape of my face and left me with lumps under my eyes and it was my first time ever getting a filler. I now wear glasses and hope the lumps fade. I went to a board certified reputable surgeon, but I still ended up looking different and not for the better. Friends ask if I'm ill. I do believe it was the injector and not necessarily the juvaderm. If he had used only 1/3 to 1/4 the amount he actually used I may have been happy with the results. I got .5cc under the eyes, but for me it was too much. I hope that if someone goes in for fillers that they insist the doctor use a very small amount until they know how their bodies respond to filler. Like you said, everyone is different and for some people a tiny amount is all they need. If you are injected with too much you have the difficult decision of waiting it out or possibly causing more damage from hyluronidase. I do believe I have some permanent damage to my face, so please do your homework before having any kind of fillers and go into the doctors office with an idea of how much product you think you need. After all, it's you and not the doctor that has to live with the results.Just because a doctor is a good surgeon doesn't mean he is good with fillers. Be sure to ask to see before and after pictures.