Juvederm Disaster -San Jose, CA

I went to my Doctor for a simple juverderm...

I went to my Doctor for a simple juverderm procedure. He was supposed to inject my lips with the product. After I left I noticed that my upper lip had no color in it at all. I have had this procedure done before and so I knew my body tolerated it and that no color in my upper lip was odd. The next day I woke up and my upper lip was swollen huge. My nose was also swollen as well as the area in between my nose and upper lip. I was also very bruised in that area and had developed a rash there as well. I also began to get very painful sinus infection like symptoms. I was also getting white sores that were popping ip both on my upper lip line as well as the area under my nose. I had developed sores in my mouth with made it impossible to open my mouth let alone eat or even brush my teeth. The swelling and pain got so bad that I went to the ER. I was given steriods and anti-histamines for the swelling. I went to the Doctor the next day and he told me that sometimes the juvederm block veins in the lips and this is what happens. He gave my antibiotics and biafine to topically put on the area. He also injected a solution he said would disslove the juvederm. I read the instructions on the Biafine and it says not to put it on skin rashes or infections. HELP!! What do I do? I am almost 6 days from this injection and my lip and area under my nose look terrible. I am afraid I am scarred for life and this burn/rash will remain.

You have clearly had a vascular event, creating the start of necrosis as it was not immediately treated within the first 24 hours. If you are in great experienced hands now, you will recover, but this can take time. You am be left with residual blotchines which can be treated possibly with other means. This is a risk with all fillers. Not common but can happen to the best of injectors

I keep thinking about her too. Hope she's fine. Would love to hear something from her.
I hope she is doing better. I think about her often...concerned..

Recovering...

Thank you to all who commented and sent well wishes. You really helped me get through this very difficult time. The good news is that I did not lose my lip. I have been seeing a very good dermatologist. I still have some swelling and the area between my nose and upper lip continues to be red. I am told that it will remain that way for months. Hopefully it will heal without a scar. I consider myself to be very lucky knowing that it could have been much worse. My advise to all is to research any and all procedures fully and be 100% confident in you PS. I am sorry I did not post sooner as I had some technical difficulties. Take care!!!!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

My lips today

So how is everything now ? Can you give an update ? All the best wishes !
To me, this looks like your lips may have become irritated as a result of the injections and often times, this can result in a herpes outbreak (cold sores). It's very common. This explains the sinus pain also can also be explained by the outbreak. often times bad outbreaks will affect the nerves in your face. If the outbreak had been on your lower lip, it would not be uncommon for you to feel a similar pain throughout your jaw area. Next time, have your dermatologist give you a prescription for Valtrex as well as the topical treatment, Zovirax. If you remain skeptical that this was in fact a herpes outbreak, get a blood test so you can be properly medicated and avoid painful, unnecessary post-injection discomfort!
That is really interesting, Lisa.  I have this one spot on my lip that will sometimes get a cold sore and I've always thought that it would probably flare up if I did filler.

Juvederm Nightmare and Kmw03- have you guys ever had cold sores on your lips before?

The Doctor responses to this Q&A are interesting, for anyone who is curious about this.