Bruises After Juvederm - San Francisco, CA

I have terrible bruises this time. I'll wait...

I have terrible bruises this time. I'll wait until the bruises and swellings are gone and then decide.

Comparing techniques of the two doctors: my first...

Comparing techniques of the two doctors: my first one did about 2 injections on each side and used the regular Juvederm. No one, including me, noticed the difference, but I don't think she is a bad doctor. It's just that the way my cheek and eye areas shaped.
The second doctor recommended that we use the Juvederm plus. It's more expensive but thicker. He spent much more time sculping, and I lost track of the numberous injections that he did. I'll post again when the bruises are gone, but I was warned about the chance of being bruised.

Will checking in 2 weeks with new photos.

I had Juvederm in my lower face wrinkles last week. On one side I had deep black bruising. On the other side, nothing. It was pretty embarrassing at work. I didn't really come up with a good enough story to explain it. Makeup did nothing to hide it, because they were the darkest bruises I have ever seen. They are starting to look a little lighter today, day 7. I do not see a really big difference given the $550 cost. I don't think I would spend the money again, because a week of going to work and to social events with this bizarre looking bruising made me much more self-conscious than my wrinkles ever have. On the other hand, I got Botox two weeks ago, had a very good result, and no bruising. This got me excited about doing some more things, but I am not excited about the change from the Juvederm, and horrified by the bruising.
My bruising and swelling are gone. What I have now are faint brown lines. They are not the Tyndall effect. It's my skin's reaction to the Juvederm ultra! even with an imperfect experience, I am glad that I chose an excellent doctor. He has been using BBL laser to reduce the coloration, and we can see the color is improving. He is not charging for this service, and the poor doctor is rather conservative on the setting of the BBL because he worries about my sensitive skin. Bottom line is that all treatments have certain risks. It's best to choose your doctor carefully. I highly recommend my doctor: Dr. Michael R. Macdonald.
OH....and another thing.....I got a tca chemical peel almost three weeks ago from my dermatologist. My doctor told me it was ok to get the peel after I had the injections. Well.....I didn't notice any of this darkness and lumps and bumps until AFTER I peeled completely. I am still wondering if that had anything to do with the way this looks now.
Hey MsCautious....how are things now with your eyes? Well...I have to say that after 6 weeks I really don't like the way the filler looks. I take back everything I said earlier! LOL! I loved my face the days and weeks right after I got this done because it was still swollen. Even tho I had all that bruising I still liked it. I looked like I had high check bones again, etc. It really looked even and no lumps or bumps. But now....I have a lot of darkness under and around both eyes from all the bruising. I also have a dent under one eye that is going to need more filler. And I can see lumps and bumps depending on which day it is! Some days they are there....some days they are not. So I went back to my PS last week and he scheduled me to come in at the end of June to fix the dent and to see if the darkness around my whole eye area got any better. He mentioned that I did not have that Tyndall effect that it was more of a hemosiderin effect. Another side effect you can't do anything about but wait. I am seriously thinking about getting the hyaluronidase if they don't look any better when he fixes the dent. My PS is really good and a good injector, but I guess you also have to think about how your body is going to handle these fillers. I had my lower lids done ten years ago by another doctor and he told me you can't repeat the operation. But this doc I have now said you can and I might just start saving for surgery. I don't think you can predict how these fillers are going to really look after all the swelling and brusing goes away.
MsCautious: Don't get too discouraged. I have dark circles normally and they got much worse. I went back to the doc three weeks later thinking it was the Tyndall effect and he told me that it was still healing...it was not the tyndall effect. They did get better, but like I mentioned, i have dark circles anyway so I still need to use cover up. I was hoping that the injections would help with those since I hear a lot of people saying it did improve their dark circles, but infortunately, I'm not one of them! Good luck to you and I hope it's still part of your healing process.
2 weeks later and the little lumps/bumps diminished somewhat. The bruises are still there. I believe it's the Tyndall effect - bluish appearance when filler is injected too high in the dermis. So now I know why pineapple didn't help me. My doctor has all the right credentials and hight rating. I wouldn't dare to try hyaluronidase based others' experience. Maybe I should massage daily to dissolve the fillers.
Great idea, Sunflowers! My doc actually told me to eat fresh pinapple when I left his office to help with the swelling, etc. But he didn't tell me to start a few days before the procedure. And smoothies are a great idea. I will try that BEFORE the next time I have any kind of procedure done. Take care!
hi, you might want to drink pineapple smoothies, must include the pineapple core, for 3 days prior to injections. This is an old remedy used by boxers to reduce swelling and bruising before a fight. It works like a charm trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a great tip - always love natural ways to take care of things like this!

I had juvederm injected in the same spots two weeks ago and I got badly bruised and swollen. I still have a bruise under my right eye, but I very happy with the results. The swelling and bruising doesn't bother me, as long as there are no lumps or bumps. I hope you will be happy with your results. But it does take time for it to settle in. My doc told me 2-4 weeks.

Oh wow, I didn't realize it took that long to settle in - good info KTA!

MsCautious, how are things feeling today?

Oh wow, you do have some pretty good bruising. Hopefully it subsides for you pretty quick. What area were you having filled, I'm guessing cheeks?