Orthognathic Surgery with Dr Speculand Birmingham

As i was growing up my left side or my upper and...

As i was growing up my left side or my upper and lower jaw stopped growing, and my right side continued, giving me an assymetrical face, with a small cross bite of the left side. The whole of the left side of my face is slightly smaller than the right, so my face looked wonky. I had right sided TMJ pain, with constant headaches developing from the TMJ pain. I did not want to have 2 years of braces to correct my 'bent' face.

I had met with a large number of maxillofacial surgeons. Some on the NHS and some on private. I met with Dr Manasali in St Georges hospital, who said he would be able to improve my facial asymmetry and make it more straight without braces, but it would not be as perfect as with the whole 2 years of pre op braces. I than went to meet with Prof Moemerrats in Belgium, European president of oral and maxillofacial surgery, who suggested i have surgery with braces, and to follow his treatment plan which involved two stages including surgical palate expansion, for my narrow upper arch. This made me quite indecissive and when i met for a consultant with Dr Manasali he was disappointed I got another opinion and discharged me. I than met with Dr Speculand, who said he did not think i needed the long treatment with braces, and than the assymetry could be improved with a bimaxillary osteotomy (which Dr Manasali had also planned for).

What was particularly nice about Dr Speculand is, I informed him about my previous meetings with Dr Manasali and Moemmerat, and subsequent discharge. But Dr Speculand said, he had absolutely no problem in me getting as many opinion as I wanted. I also did not need to hesitate to ask him about any other issues, like if i need my jaw moved forward etc.

After two years of meeting and talking with surgeons, I had my surgery done with Dr Speculand in Birmingham Queen Elizabeth hospital. I am now 9 weeks post op, and very happy with the results. Dr Speculand is a very nice doctor, and as a person who also works in the profession, I think he may be the nicest doctor I have met during my own career. The surgery was done on the NHS, as it is classed as a developmental abnormality, and also I had quite bad jaw pain, with clicking on the right side. Dr Speculand investigated the causes of the jaw clicking too, looking for condylar hyperplasia.

Most people have a really tough recovery, for me physically the recovery was very quick, mentally there are challenges, as with any surgery. My bottom lip has already recovered and I have normal feeling. I am also glad I did not follow Prof Moemmerats plan of a palate expansion, as this would likely have widened my nostrils, which are wide enough as it is.

I would recommend Dr Speculand to any patient, I have had a few surgeries now, and by far the most honest and considerate was Dr Speculand.

Hi there! I have the same problem with my left side being smaller then my right. It's really annoying and bothersome. And the unbalanced face feature is really embarrassing for me. I just had my braces taken off they didn't fix my jaw or unbalanced face but my teeth are straight. My next step is to see oral surgeon I'm so frustrated with my jaw and unbalanced face. I'm hopping corrective jaw surgery will help. That's what you did right?
Can I ask you how did you manage to get it done on the NHS? Thanks
@twoplus one Sorry i wont be uploading any pictures. I did not have nay braces, just double jaw surgery @misslondon I went to my orthodontist from when I was a teenager told him about my TMJ pain and facial assymetry and he referred me. You could also try your dentist or your GP who could refer you to the maxfacial clinic IF you are presenting with TMJ pain, but not for facial assymetry (as thats not on the NHS) BW and inbox me if you want :)
Dr Speculand

As mentioned earlier, Dr Speculand is a fantastic surgeon, his interest is all based on patient satisfaction. The waiting times are long with him, which is probably because so many people want to see him