Extreme Makeover Part 2 - Pretoria, South Africa

My story is pretty typical of others I have seen...

My story is pretty typical of others I have seen on this site - I have never really liked my nose, I think it is too big for my face. It is also crooked, which I think may be a result of a past injury, and the crookedness is really noticeable in photos as it casts odd shadows across my face. So after wanting to change it for many years I am finally going for it.
I also decided that since I am taking time off for recovery anyway I might as well do the other thing I've always wanted - which is to (hopefully) turn an apple into an hourglass :-) Hence my title. The lipo is happening before the rhino (to avoid hurting the new nose) and I will write a separate review about that.

I decided to write a review particularly because I have had such a tough time researching surgeons here in South Africa. There is just not much info online, you have to ask people for word of mouth recommendations (which I really hated doing). So after a fairly long searching process I decided on the Nose Clinic in Pretoria. The surgeon is an ENT who superspecialised in aesthetic nasal surgery. He only does noses, every day. He is registered with the relevant SA boards and also a member of the American AFPRS.

When I went for the consult I found him to be very kind and friendly. He did an examination and took pictures for morphing. He is also going to fix my deviated septum (so this is a septorhinoplasty really). I also discovered that he only does 1 case per day - which I think is good as it means things won't be rushed in order to get the next person done. All in all I am pretty happy with my choice. He was definitely not the cheapest surgeon I looked at but I think a good first result is well worth it, and much cheaper than needing a revision later!
Right now it is a bit more than a week to go and I am getting pretty scared. I am also a bit undecided as to what looks best. In addition to fixing the crookedness I wanted my nose deprojected and a little upturned. He didn't want to take it back too much as he says I have a strong chin and it will look odd if the nose is too small. Initially I agreed but now I am worried that the change will be too subtle and I will still feel like my nose dominates my face. I have put up the pics of the morph. The middle one is his suggestion and the right hand one is my changes (using photoshop so not a proper morph - but I am talking about the aesthetics of the nose here and not the practicalities of what can be done with my anatomy.) Basically I'm trying to decide if I should ask him to be more aggressive than we originally agreed or not. What do you think?

I am also really worried about recovery. I have not told people that I am doing this. Only my boyfriend and 1 close friend know. My surgery is on a Weds and I am off work until the Mon the week after (12 days) I am really hoping that will be enough as I haven't told anyone at work. Mostly I'm hoping that the bruising will be light enough that I can cover it with makeup. Unfortunately I am very fair skinned so bruising is usually very obvious on me. I considered getting some of that post op cover up makeup but I don't think it comes in a light enough shade, and going with an orange face might look even more weird.

A note on pricing: I was quoted ZAR 49500. I have put it in US dollars at today's exchange rate of $1=ZAR8.40.

Just a few more days to go until the Big Day and I...

Just a few more days to go until the Big Day and I am really nervous now. I am going in for the lipo tomorrow and now I am wondering how I am gonna cope with the recovery, if I'm not putting myself through too much at once.

I must say this site has been really helpful with advice and recommendations. I am all stocked up on pain meds, and arnica for after. I also got some bendy straws and loads of soft foods, and I bought once of those U shaped travel pillows cos I think it might make it easier to sleep propped up at an angle. I usually sleep on my belly so I think I am going to struggle with sleeping post op. I haven't been able to find swiss therapy masks locally, which is a pity cos it seems like they really help. I did get some little gel cooling pads though - I think they will work for icing around the eye area. I also haven't been able to find Bromelain anywhere.

Anyway mostly I am swinging between excitement and fear. I really hope it all goes well and I end up with a result that I love.

Well I had the lipo done yesterday and I'm not...

Well I had the lipo done yesterday and I'm not feeling too bad today. Still fearful and excited about tomorrow though. I have only taken panado and codeine for the lipo pain, I'm avoiding using the Celebrex that they gave me cos I'm scared it will make me bleed worse and bruise worse tomorrow.

I have waited a few days to update this review...

I have waited a few days to update this review because I wanted to think carefully about what to say. I am very angry and disappointed about the whole situation, and initially I wanted to vent the whole story with all the details. However, after some thought I decided it would be better to stick to the relevant points.

I did not have the rhinoplasty as planned as the surgeon cancelled on the day.

He did not cancel for medical or practical reasons, but rather because he changed his mind about doing the procedure. I find the whole thing to be completely bizarre and I have never heard of a surgeon behaving in this way before. His manner on the day was completely different to when we first met, I felt he was rude and dismissive. He said some very insulting things to me that I think were completely unprofessional.
In retrospect when I first searched for information about him the only negative I found online was a previous patient who said he was very arrogant. At the time I thought that might be an exaggeration, now I think it was an understatement.

As much as this has inconvenienced me I am glad I saw this side BEFORE having surgery. I can only imagine how much more unpleasant it would be to discover this after surgery, especially if I had been unhappy with the result.
At least the clinic refunded me in full.

To sum up, I would not recommend this surgeon to anyone. I have had a very negative experience with him, and in my opinion he is both unpredictable and unreliable.