Lumpy Without Lift or Volume from 1 Syringe of Juvaderm Volbella - Ontario, CA

I went in for lip injectables for the first time,...

I went in for lip injectables for the first time, and wanted the best possible outcome. I paid 850$ for 1 syringe of Juvaderm Volbella to be injected by a board certified plastic surgeon. They tried offering me to use the product in other areas of my face but I am young and did not want the side effects elsewhere on my face. SO thankfully I opted to only have the product injected into my upper lip and very little in my bottom lip. I had about 1/2 the syringe injected in my upper lip (only in the pink fleshy part) and mainly the corners and the other 1/4 in my bottom lip and some remainder (about 1/4) was thrown away to avoid duck lips.

For the first week I was bruised, lumpy, bumpy, and swollen. I felt the lips were too large at the time however the Doctor does not save material for a later date so regardless what I had injected was all I was going to get for the price I paid. Nonetheless I was satisfied.

However I was told the lumps would subside after a week, it has now been 3 weeks and I am still uneven, with lumps of various small/medium sizes. I went in driving 2 hours to see the doctor as I was told to come in, and he spent 2 min with me saying if he dissolves the lumps I loose the product I paid for and they are not that noticeable and sometimes the thumb puts too much pressure and is not injected slow enough and left it at that.

SO I paid almost double what an RN would have charged and was left lumpy and without volume, he told me 10-15% of initial volume would subside, I can assure you with before and after pictures, the volume decreased by 90% but now I have lumpy lips.

I would not recommend this procedure to anyone, and because I would not know who to trust that would avoid or at least correct this aftermath I will NEVER get it done again!!

Toronto Patient, dissatisfied.

Before and After Comparison

After Look

2 months post

My lips seem the same size as before I did any injections, I wanted subtle but not this subtle ... There are still small lumps and when I smile sometimes I can see the product under the skin making it look unnatural. Overall I'm just content nothing else went wrong and I don't have duck lips. But would never again return as I had originally planned on doing if I was happy with my results. Especially paying double what most charge in Toronto.
Marc

(-) Long wait time, almost 1 hour. Pushy assistants trying to sell medical grade skincare, and botox Doctor did not have thorough consultation Did not even follow up, I had to voice my complaints 2 weeks later Very Expensive Clinic was not aesthetically pleasing Horrible location, traffic and no parking dissatisfied with follow up appointment (2 hour drive, for 2 min conversation) no before and after pictures Made me uncomfortable, very cold team (+) Quick response time via email by administrative staff Gave me a Juvaderm Ice Pack

i went today for a consult to have my under eyes filled. my doc said it is not an easy product to use as it is also fairly new and that training is needed he is the only doc in my province able to do this i have seen people that have gone to him with excellent results, he also advised me that i would only need one vile which will do both eyes for first and second treatment i hope it goes well but i am confident it will.... my advise dont just go to anyone try find one that people have used that you know have gotten amazing results ... good luck ladies
Hi there I have actually used the same doctor at his Richmond hill clinic .. He seems very greedy he made me buy 3 syringes gave me nice cheeks but over filled my under eye area resulting in a crocked left eye .. I went back to him he told me to wait it out it has been six months I can only see a little bit difference so I am afraid I might be left with this long term .. Lips I got as well they deflated as well I think he waters down the solution .. They way he acts when he comes in the room with his helper is so fishy .. I will never go back to him.. He made me buy 3 at first I couldn't see the difference in my eye area then he made me buy a forth one which was overfilled
the HA-based fillers (like juvaderm) are the only ones i know of that can be used anywhere on the face. they all dissolve away eventually. it may take a year, but they all dissolve. and, like your clinic said, the areas can be injected with a drug that speeds the process up.
all the liquid dermal fillers work by depositing lumps or ropes deep inside the skin. i've not had my lips filled, but, yes, it works by pushing the surrounding skin out. and to a certain extent, the skin there is also stimulated to make it's own collagen through the product's stretching of the dermis. but yes, if you message a treated area you can feel the material in there. anyway, it will dissolve in a few months. but by no means, since you didn't like the result, don't get a permanent filler there next time.
I have recently had Volbella injected into my lips and the result was subtle but really good. With Volbella it needs to be injected very superficially under the skin - it is possible your surgeon (albeit trained in surgery) may not have had the training for Volbella and treated it as any other filler - this would explain the lumpiness. When it comes to injectables I think nurses are better than doctors as they have had more experience with fillers. I would be looking for someone with good references and many years experience in the field of cosmetic nursing.

Bummer that after all that you don't see any results!  Would you ever consider going to a different Doctor or are you totally over it?

I would love to try again if I had a doctor recommended by someone I trusted that's the only way!! :(

Good call!

How is your lips now? I had it done yesterday and feeling very disappointed. Same bruising as you have. Worried too much juba derm on one side. Bruising is only one side. I told her I wanted subtle....instead I get horrifying. Keep getting asked what happened... Mortified.
Hi yes the first day I cried thinking what did I do they were uneven bruised huge lumpy and swollen we used 3/4 syringe and i also said subtle. Don't worry all of that is normal, keep icing it and eat pineapple the bromelian in pineapple is said to have anti inflammatory properties. In 3-4 days 85% of the swelling will be gone, then in 1-2 weeks you will have a good idea your long term result. For me at 2 weeks I was still content but because it was injected too firmly I developed many superficial lumps resulting in the product dissolving prematurely at just 4 weeks after treatment I really hope your injector and your lips cooperate. Who was your doctor?
I'm sorry you did not receive the results you wanted. I have been using fillers since age 27. Juvederm is normally reserved for nasal labial folds, marionette lines, and to add volume due to loss of collagen. Your provider should have injected Restylane to plump your lip area. When Restylane was first approved, I used it as a face filler. It is not an easy injection to receive (hurts a lot, especially in the lip area). I would recommend finding a different doctor in your area and asking about Restylane.
Hi thanks for sharing that, too bad he didn't recommend that for me :( the reviews and doctors profiles I inquired on seemed so keen on Volbella being specifically formulated for the lips to lift and give a more natural result but in my case that meant no long term result :(
Hi would it be possible for you to post a before and after photo ? I live in the Toronto area and was thinking on getting this done. Which doctor was it if you don't mind me asking? Thanks for your help.
Hi I posted photos and the doctor was Dr. Marc Dupere, seems easy going but also was not proactive in solving much, he simply said wait it out because if he uses the dissolver I'll loose the product I paid for. So I have to stay lumpy because that's how it was injected or he dissolves it and i loose my money (which doesn't bother me considering there is no volume there to loose) with who knows what other problems arising though

Thanks for sharing.  I'm sorry you did not get the results you wanted.  Have you considered going to another Doctor to see if there is anything that can be done?  I found this, it might help:

Feeling Juvederm Lumps - is It Normal?

I have had a similar experience 6 weeks ago! I have used Restylane in lips for past 7 years and have always loved it! The last time, the RN injector used Juvedern XC ULTRA in my tiny little lips and my lips are now uneven and lumpy and pulling and tugging and hurting---6 weeks later and after going in 3 times to have her inject the dissolver-hyaluronidase--- which has made it WORSE!! It is now dissolved in some places, not dissolve din others, and the hyaluronidase has dissolved my own natural tissue away completely, leaving my with huge indentations in my cheeks and lips. PLEASE DO NOT USE THE DISSOLVER---- do whatever you need to do to massage your lips daily, talk as much as possible to help soften it, exercise to help metabolize it, but don't get the dissolver! Please... you will regret it. The dissolver is supposed to be used for small area "corrections"-- like it you have ONE bump somewhere, but not to dissolve the entire vial of Juvederm injected because there is no way they can guarantee to get it all out evenly and then your situation is WORSE-- you still have overfull, lumpy lips but now they are uneven, too. Just know that you are not alone here. This has made me so depressed and has become all-consuming because it is so uncomfortable and tugging. I wish you the best of luck and please do not use the dissolver!
Thank you for sharing your experience also, I too decided not to have the dissolver for fear of more problems arising.
Hi thank you. No I have not thought about seeing another doctor because now all the volume is gone I just need to wait for the small lumps to dissolve. Another doctor most likely would not want to fix his sloppy work, if I ever get juvaderm again I would need to go to someone recommended first hand because reviews and price and board certification sometimes aren't enough :(