Excellent Outcome with Juvederm for Marionette Lines -Ocean Springs, MS

On 9/18/13, I finally took the plunge. I got...

On 9/18/13, I finally took the plunge. I got Juvederm injectected into my marionette lines, as well as a tiny fold above my right lip (there was no fold above my left lip), and a faint line around my mouth on the left side (there was none on the right side). My marionette lines were not equal--the one on the left was fainter but longer than the one on the right, which was a very deep fold. I had had these lines since my early thirties at least. My passport photo from 1993 (I was 48) shows the lines very distinctly.

My doctor was Forrest Wells, a plastic surgeon in Ocean Springs, MS, where I live. He explained exactly what he was doing. He first injected all of the areas to be filled with Lidocaine, which stung going in, but certainly was bearable. My face got numb immediately. I didn't feel any of the needle sticks to inject the Juvederm. He used two syringes ($600 each). He didn't think he could completely erase the lines in question, but he thought he could fill them in considerably and restore symmetry to my face. The problem that bothered me the most about my lines was asymmetry, which develops as we age. My face had been very symmetrical before, aside from a dimple near my mouth on the right side which had no counterpart on the left side.

I have very fair skin, which shows bruising immediately. I also have very oily skin--I have to use acne scrub at age 68--and I have no real wrinkles on my face, only the folds which were developing asymmetrically, probably because of weight gain.

My face began to bruise and swell up immediately. By the next morning, I had a red mark on one side and deep bruise marks (they looked black) on the other side (the right side, where much more filler was injected). The bruising and swelling increased by the second day, and I called Dr. Wells to report it. He asked me to come in and he said that my reaction was entirely normal and that the swelling would take about a week to dissipate. He said that I had outstanding results from the Juvederm, and that my facial contours would return to normal within 7-10 days. Right now, about 42 hours after the injections, I am very swollen and bruised looking and can't cover the areas with makeup--it won't help, can't even hide the deep bruising. I expected the bruising, and I was not alarmed by it. The swelling was another story. That alarmed me enough to have him check it out. I will continue to update this blog about my progress over the next couple of months.
Marista, I am so happy that you are happy with the result. I am still afraid and I guess I will have to have at least a two week stay at home without seeing anyone until the swelling goes down. Guess I will have to plan a two week time period where I can stay out of sight until the swelling goes down. I am also going to look into the Athena 7 Minute Face Lift. You are a great spokesperson. I would love to see before and after pictures. I will let you know when I take the plunge. I am 64 years old - 65 in March. Thank you again.
It is now 10/21--36 days after my Juvederm injections. The hard lump on the left side finally subsided to the point where it is not noticeable at all, although I can still feel it with my finger. It took about 5 weeks for this to occur. I am now perfectly happy with the results. With makeup on (I use Athena 7 Minute Face Lift on my under eye troughs), I now look all of 45 years old, and I am 68. Can't do much more than that without surgery, unless you get your tear troughs filled. My doctor advised against it--said it would take an enormous amount of filler, and was not cost-effective. For the same price, I could have surgery that would last for years. But I am not ready for surgery, especially with the Athena product, which works as well as a facelift. It costs $90 for .5 oz., but that tiny jar lasts for 5-6 months, so I only buy it about twice each year. I recommend it for those of you who have under eye trenches and don't want filler or surgery. I highly recommend Juvederm for marionette lines, if you have the patience to wait for the bruising and swelling to go away, which took a long time in my case.
can you post before and after photos? i have marionette lines and wonder how often you have to get yours filled. my understanding is that this is not a one and done treatment. will it be $1200 each time you get a treatment? thanks!

Losing the Juvederm quickly

I got my Juvederm injections on Sept. 18. It's now about 2 months later, and I can see the Juvederm disappearing from week to week. The folds (marionette lines) that I got filled in are returning already, and it doesn't appear that I will get 9 months out of the Juvederm, as I had thought.
After about 3 months, the Juvederm was completely gone from my face. I will not do this procedure again. Not worth the bruising afterward, and the rapid loss of product. A waste of time and money, in my opinion. I guess I was lucky that this was all that happened to me.

Wow that seems really fast for the Juvederm to disappear.  I wonder if maybe you need more injected next time?

NOT WORTH IT!!!!

After about 3 months, all of the Juverderm in my face had disappeared. No lasting bruising or other unwanted side effects--just a total loss of product. Needless to say, I won't be doing this again.
usually the filler if injected too deeply and it dissipates much quicker and wont last long at all... and or u need to go back after the first round and get more ,,cos most of the time one syringe usually isnt enough...but u have to determine that after the first syringe and the right amount of time has passed to see if you need more..but either way always be ready to get more...or at least do ur homework...to find the right doctor to do the injecting...and find out who also had the same procedure done so maybe you can find out from them if they were satisfied with the procedure...either way do ur homework....
Some plastic surgeons say that Restalyn stays in the face longer.
Mississippi Plastic Surgeon

He is very honest and forthcoming about what to expect, and has a good hand with the injections, which initially hurt (he said they would). He uses Lidocaine first to numb the area. He answered my questions fully and without any hesitation. I would recommend him to anyone looking for this treatment. He charged more than another doctor I had seen about Juvederm (they wanted $450 per syringe) but I trusted him instead of going through with the procedure earlier, with the cheaper doctor, because that doctor had made assurances to me that didn't seem consistent with what I had learned on the Internet about Juvederm. I'm glad I spent the extra money to get a more honest and reliable doctor.