Deviated Septum and Rhinoplasty - New York, NY

Hi all, Here’s my problem! Please read, very...

Hi all, Here’s my problem! Please read, very important!!! I am a guy, 6’3” in my early 30’s. I had surgery done to my nose several yeas ago, 6-7 years ago. I had a bad deviated septum, which caused breathing problems and constant nose bleeds to one side of my nose! Both sides were hard to breathe, but one side was extremely bad! Just by looking at my nose, before the surgery, you could tell it was a little crooked due to the deviated septum, a result of a small accident during my teen years. Since I was looking to fix that problem I also decided to shorten the length of my nose. Length of nose before surgery, nostril to tip, about 1 ½” long!! There was also a slight, very small bump on the bridge of my nose that did not bother me at all, no big deal! My main concern when I had the operation was straightening my nose, deviated septum, and shortening the tip/length of my nose! I wanted the length shortened at least, very least ¼”.

I met a girl that had rhinoplasty done. Her nose looked great. She showed me pictures of her nose before her surgery. She originally had a big bump on the bridge of her nose and the length on her nose, the tip was longer. So I really liked her results! She told me which doctor she used in NYC, Manhattan. I went to the Doctor, talked about what I wanted done, straighten out my nose, deviated septum, and to reduce the length of my nose to at least, very least ¼” shorter than what it is. I told him exactly what I wanted, so I gave him an option if he wants to do what I asked for, and he took my offer, he agreed to do what I asked! I also had 2 witnesses with me, my father and my friend who is a doctor! After the surgery, my nose was swollen and numb for sometime. My nose looked fat, and it seemed as if the length of my nose was still long. He told me it can be like that for some time, 2+ years to see results!

So I waited. As time went by, my nose became less swollen, but the tip of my nose was still long. Final results 6-7 years later, I still have a very bad deviated septum, he took off that little bump I had on the bridge of my nose, that didn’t really bother me. Bridge of nose is still and more crooked than before, forms sort of an S from top to tip of nose, it is also thinner than before, tip of nose is thinner than what it used to be, remember I am a guy at 6’3”. The length of my nose, from nostril to tip is still close to 1 ½” long!! Not shortened at all! I have been back to this doctor a few times, 3-4 years after the surgery. He doesn’t give me a straight answer, I told him my nose is more crooked now, and the length of my nose is still long, he just replies well thats how surgery is, nothing is perfect. If that’s how surgery really is, why bother fixing people’s noses, doing surgery for deviated septums, doing rhinoplasty, or on top of all why even bother doing revision rhinoplasty if it will not be straight?????? Remember, I made him an offer what I wanted done, he accepted!

I also told him I still can not breathe good from my nose, he looked quick in my nose, he tells me it is slightly crooked, but much better than before! I told all this to my doctor. He told me go to a ENT specialist and get it checked out. I found one and went in. He numbed my nose and put a camera in both sides, one side the camera had difficulty going through, that’s the bad side, which I can’t barely breathe from there! He also sent me to do a cat scan. I did it, I also got the results, and a CD copy of the cat scan itself! I can clearly see how bad my nose is!! Very crooked!! One side of the nose is ok, the other air passage is extremely bad, very very thin air passage!! After I had my rhinoplasty surgery done back then, I also had developed some symptoms, which I never realized it was problems from the nose. Coughing, wheezing, constant clearing of throat, broken cracking of throat, difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, soar throat, fatigue, and a few more on the list. As well as sleep apnea!! I developed these problems, but I nor my primary doctor knew it was from my nose. I found out from the ENT specialist I went to, that all this was form the nose!! All those problems I have, the symptoms, it is called Post Nasal Drip! After the surgery all this happened, never had it!!

After I got all this info from the ENT specialist, and the cat scan results, I recently went back to the surgeon, with the results and the cat scan. When I made the appointment I told the lady at the desk what the problems were for my appointment. So when I went back to his office he was informed why I was there. The doctor walks in, “Oh Wow, your nose looks really great after 10+ years”. Its only been 6-7 years, and he knew why I was there. If my nose is so great, how come my picture isn’t posted with the rest of his patience on his website??? What do you all recommend I do??? I have difficulty breathing(deviated septum), constant nose bleeds, not happy at all with how my nose looks, very angry, mad, upset, and most of all very depressed!! I need help, advice!! Something has to be done!!

Don not go to any other surgeons because they cannot fix that problem for you. I had the same problem like you and i went to another ent surgeon and he tried to fix it but nothing can reverse this symptom. I am currently suffer from post nasal drip for about 6 years now. I do not trust any of them anymore. The second one was one of the best surgeon but couldnt fix it. The first one i went had no experienced, she just graduated when i had it done. I am still seeking for a way to stop this because i think that she had damaged some nerve in my nasal or maybe she did something wrong that caused Fluid leek. I am suffering so much after the surgery. Contact me if you want to discuss more about this because it seems like we are having the same problem here. My email address: Cappilucypeter@yahoo.com
Hi there blackknight i am recovering from my forth rhinoplasty and im worse off than i ever was and like you i am very angry...my recent rhinoplasty was to revise the columella area (notched)after my open third rhino,my surgeon done this forth one free of charge and also did some graft work,but now my columella has been chopped off(which i DID NOT want) and shorter on one side a complete mess (ive posted photos on here asking surgeon a question)my advice to you would be unless you were going to take legal action which could be hard as some time has passed...is to have another surgeon fix and shorten area that bothers you,but im afraid the medical issues ie the breathing,bleeding etc are all the nasty side affects from rhinoplasty and trust me after 4 ops i know this for a fact i can hardly breath nostral has collapsed and my nose is either bunged or drips all day plus sleep is bad aswell.i agree with you that the surgeons will never answer questions with a direct and honest answer.im now seeking advice as i will not be able to pay to fix my botched columella but will be getting another opinion from a revision rhinoplasty surgeon and i dont think people shouldnt be able to get away with destroying peoples face and lives i started my journey to get a straighter nose (deviated septum) and to breath better and it has emotionally drained and devasted me.If you decide to go down the legal route make sure you have lots of photos and written 2nd 3rd opinions!!good luck!

Short of pursuing something legally (which I'm not recommending), your options are 1. Ask your surgeon for a revision and for him to waive his fee 2. Seek a second opinion (and third) and schedule a revision with a REVISION RHINOPLASTY specialist or 3. Try to let it go and find peace with your nose.

If you'd consider posting photos, it would help us visualize what you're describing.

I'm sorry you're so unhappy with your results. That sounds truly disturbing. I will say that rhinoplasty is a very difficult and intricate procedure and no doctor can guarantee any particular result. If they do, don't believe it. Once a surgeon gets your nose opened up, there are all sorts of variables that can affect your outcome and if the doctor isn't very, very experienced doing noses, then they are just not going to be as good as someone who specializes in rhinoplasties.

I hope you're able to get this resolved to your liking. Thank you for sharing your experience here on RealSelf.

Hi, thank you for the reply!! I am seriously thinking of taking legal actions, because everytime I have been to his office I never got a straight answer! Infact I asked him about why the length of my nose was not shortened as agreed. First time I had asked him, few years ago, he had said nothing comes out perfect, which doesn't make any sense if he never did anything for it not to come out perfect. ITs like having a dent on your car, bringing it in to a body shop to get it fixed, you pay, pick up your car, the dent is untouched, you ask the guy why it is still there, he replies nothing is perfect! That really makes no sense!
Last time I was in his office, recently, I asked him again about the length, he told me he never touched the tip of my nose, he never does those kind of surgeries! Thats very unperfessional of him!! Surgeons are insured anyway, why would it be difficult to sue??
I also been to 3 doctors, they told me straight out they see the mistakes on my nose, and can reduce my nose as requested!
Why I can let go, is cause I really need to do another surgery, there is no way I am ever going to pay for another rhinoplasty surgery without getting my money back!!
Like I also mentined above, after the surgery I developed problems known as Post Nasal Drip. I nor my primary doctor couuldn't tell that it was from my nose. From the symptoms I had it seems as I was sick, fighting some sort of disease. Over 5-6 years, I have been running around to 5 different kinds of doctors, wasting my time, money, and stressed out trying to figure out why I had those problems. Finally when I went to an ENT specialist for my bad nose bleeds, and not breathing good frommy nose, he told me that I have those symptoms from the nose.
I am just explaining all this so you can understand what I have been through.
This is not just about physical appearance, but what I have been through medically, and most of all mentaly!!!
Yes, I know about moving on finding a doctor to get another operation done, but I want advice on taking legal action.
Thank you!!
First off, clearly this doctor is never going to admit to his mistakes, it has been 6-7 years now. So you need to stop wasting your time with him and find a new surgeon who can actually help you.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I have been looking around for another surgeon, but whos going to pay for the new surgery? That is what I am complaining about. I need another $7,000+ for another surgery, not only that, go through the whole hassle again.