Wish I Would Have Had a Tummy Tuck Sooner! - Norwalk, CT

I started looking into having a tummy tuck 10...

I started looking into having a tummy tuck 10 years ago after my second child was born. At the time I was 25 and didnt have the money to spend on cosmetic surgery. I had my 3rd child in 2006.

I am a triathlete and marathon runner. I eat healthy 95% of the time. After the birth of my last baby my body just did not respond to my workouts. I felt thick around the middle where all the extra skin was. The skin below and around my belly button was wrinkled and full of stretch marks. I am 5' 2" and weighed 118 lbs. Definately not overweight, but I was very self conscious about how my tummy area looked in clothes..especially when I sat down. It seemed like half of by stomach would hang over my jeans! I work out way too hard to not have the perfect body.

We moved to CT in 2009 and I immediatly started looking for a surgeon. I found my Dr in Westport, CT. I was having some issues of feeling selfish and vain for spending so much money on having the surgery performed..not to mention the anxiety over having surgery and being in pain. She reassured me that I was young (I am 36)and I had every right to get it done since I was done having kids. I scheduled surgery for Oct 27th 2010.

The morning of surgery I was a complete mess. I was nervous, anxious, scared..even after taking a xanex! Dr M came in to mark the lines of where the incisions would be, she gave me a hug and a kiss and told me I would be fine. Surgery took about 5 hours. I had a full tt, plus lipo performed on my lower back, hips, inner and outer thighs. I was pleasantly surprised when I woke up. I was sore but not in any pain at all.

I am now almost 4 weeks out from surgery. I only had to wear the compression garment for 3 weeks. I am still wearing sweatpants. I tried wearing jeans over the weekend but it feels weird. I have no feeling in my stomach at all..everything is numb. My lower back and inner thighs are still tender from the lipo, but she has assured me that this is normal. I am still swollen, but I can tell a difference already! I weigh 115, (I have lost 3 lbs) and have lost 1 1/2 inches off of my thighs, 1 inch off my waist and 1 inch off of my hips. I am not able to run yet. But I have been walking 3 miles a day for a week now. I see the Dr next week and will ask her then if I can go back to the gym and maybe do a spin class even if I cant run yet.

Overall I am so happy I decided to have the surgery. I am looking forward to seeing what I look like at the end of recovery. I would definately do it again if I had to.

I am now 11 weeks post op. I feel great! There is...

I am now 11 weeks post op. I feel great! There is still some soreness in the upper part of my stomach. Plus that area gets puffy if I eat a big meal. I started working out again at 6 weeks. I have tried doing abdominal work but it is still uncomfortable. And I do feel tightness when swimming laps and running. I have not lost anymore weight, I hover around 115-117. I was 118 the morning of surgery. I have lost 2 inches off my abdomen, 1 inch off my hips and 2 inches off my thighs. I am happy with the results so far. The Dr said it takes 6-9 months for the swelling to go down, so I am being patient and hoping that by the summer I will be ready for a bikini!

I had my 4 month check up today with the ps. She...

I had my 4 month check up today with the ps. She was very pleased with how I looked. I did talk to her about some concerns that I have had. The first being that I have a little 'pudge' on my hips still. When I sit down it rolls over the top of my pants. Also, my inner thighs still 'graze' together when I run, and I have a divot on my right one. She said she would revise the lipo when I go in this fall to have my boobs done. I have an appt in Oct for a consultation on the augmentation/lift and to reevaluate my inner thighs and posterior hips. She was surprised at how pink my scar was still. She did mention that it takes a full 6-9 months to heal. So I may not be able to wear a bikini this summer if the bb scar doesnt fade. She was a little concerned that I still dont have any sensation on my skin on my stomach. I can feel pressure if I push on my stomach, but if I run my nails across my skin, I cant feel it at all. Maybe this would be a good time to get a tatoo or get my bb pierced! Lol! She is hoping the feeling will come back in the next couple of months. I have only lost 1 lb, but I wasnt overweight to start with. I was 118 the morning of surgery and now I am 117! Other than that I am feeling really good about the way my stomach looks. I will post more pics soon!

Westport Plastic Surgeon

Dr M has a wonderful bedside manner. I liked her from the moment she walked into the examination room. I had planned to see other plastic surgeons but once I met her I knew she was the one I wanted to perform my surgery.

Thank you! I was planning on getting my breasts done in the fall but we just found out we are moving back to Arkansas in August...so I will have to get them done there. (we lived there for 10 years before moving to Connecticut 2 yrs ago)I know a surgeon I can go to there. I also need to have some lipo revisions done on my inner thighs and hips. I am very happy with my results. I wore a bikini for the first time in 13 years last weekend! I was a bit self conscious due to a scar around my belly button, but no one seemed to notice. The best part was sitting down and not having any extra skin hang over! I did and still am using bio oil and mederma cream. How are you feeling? I see that you are a few days post op!
Your tummy is looking great. When are you planning on your breast? Did you expect such great results with your belly? Did you use any special scar creams?
Hi San Francisco! No I dont mind you asking at all. The surgeon didnt think it was a good idea to do the tt and breast implant/lift at the same time. She said I would have been under for over 8 hours. And she didnt want to feel rushed to complete the tt to get to the breasts.(The tt took 5 hrs and she estimated the breasts would be between 3 1/2-4 hours) I would still like to get my breasts done this fall. I could have had them done 6 weeks after the tt surgery, but I was ready to get back to working out. I didnt want to take another 6 weeks off of excercise again!
Thanks for your reply! I ask because I am scheduled for a MM on July 1st and my surgeon doesn't mind doing an 8-9 hr surgery on me - but it makes ME very nervous! I am thinking of doing tt in July and my breasts early December. Perhaps the lipo on my back with the breast surgery.. Difficult decision, as I would like to just have one recovery. I too am a runner, and I dance as well.

Good luck on your continuing recovery!!!!
Good luck with your surgery in July! I had lipo with the tt surgery. My surgeon included lipo on the stomach area, hips and back. I chose to have lipo done on my inner and outer thighs also. You should check with your surgeon to see if lipo on the back/hip area is included. Please keep me posted on what you decide to do!
Thanks shaz, I will! It will be great to have some support!!!!
Hi there!

You look fantastic!

I hope you don't mind me asking why you decided to stage your surgery instead of getting it all done at once?

Thanks!
You look Awesome!!!
Thank you very much. It has been an exciting journey.
Wow you look amazing! So happy for you!
Wow you look great!

You look awesome!!
You look fabulous Shaz!
Looks GREAT! Way to stick with it all and be open about everything on here for everyone to relate! :)
I will let her no you said hi Thanks again sharon , I too will be having a breast lift next year .. so maybe we can support each other though that also..TTL Marry Xmas..
I was a nervous wreck the morning of surgery. I started crying in the waiting room because I was so overwhelmed with emotions. I was scared, nervous, anxious etc. I am a worrywart and always assume the worst. Needless to say I was so surprised when I woke from surgery and was not in any pain at all. It felt like I had done a pilates class and I was sore. Thats all I ever felt, just soreness and some tightness, but never any pain. I would definately do it all over again if I had to. I am pleased with my results so far. I am 2 months out, Dr M said it would take 6-9 months to see the full results. I am planning to see her for a breast lift next year also. I did go home the same day. I think I got out of surgery around 3pm and I went home around 7. I dont remember being wheeled into the recovery area. I was in and out from the anesthesia. Definately keep in touch! I am looking forward to hearing all about your results! I don't see Dr M again until Feb..tell her Sharon said hi!! Have a Merry Christmas! Having the surgery is the best present I could have given myself! I will post 8 week pics next week. The swelling has gone down since the 3 weeks pics I have posted.
The gitters are normal Diva, I felt them a week or so before surgery but as it closed in, I started to relax and by the day of surgery I was pretty relaxed about it :)
Thanks Christina, I will keep that in mind it is so nice to know that people understand your feelings.. Being elective and not nowing what to expect no matter how much info you have you still feel lost .. I am 13 days away and there is no turning back now...Have a Blessed Christmas...
We are here for you Diva and most of us have been down this road so we understand all the feelings and mixed emotions you are having :) You have a great Christmas too!
Hi Diva Fit! God luck with your surgery next month. Yes, I am happy with my results so far, although I am still swollen above the belly button area. I am 8 weeks out. Dr Mahony said it would be a full 6-9 months to see the full results, and even though she offers a revision surgery for free she has never had anyone who has been unhappy. So I am trying to be patient.
The hospital staff were great and the after care nurse was also very helpful. I was so out of it so I don't remember a whole lot. Dr Mahony is very thorough. I feel like I went into this with a lot of info so I knew what to expect. Let me know if you have any more questions. You will be happy you had the surgery.
Thanks so much for getting back to me you do look great and sound very pleased .. Did you go home the same day I have a 1 hour ride back home and she said it would be fine.. I am so gittery at this point since it is less then two weeks away... I am so glad to have some one that has had the same PS as me... and would love to stay in contact to let you no how things went .. Thanks again and have a Blessed Christmas...
Hello..shaz74...My TT is on January 15 2010 and I have the same PS> as you Dr Mahoney..Did you love your results and is there any advice. You look great are you healing good and did you have great after care...Thanks Diva Fit
Thanks, I appreciate that :) I love, love, love the half marathon distance! I have a local 25K that I will run in May so my ultimate goal is to be ready for that race both in distance and speed. Wow! 9:13 is a great pace and not really that far off from where you were! Before surgery I was running about a 9 flat at home; I ran my personal best 5k a couple weeks before surgery in 23:30. I really think the marathon training helped me in more ways then just finishing the marathon. The endurance I built during that training has made me so much faster.

I noticed that tightness above the belly button just walking today and I am also still very numb. Kind of weird to feel parts of your abdomen but yet not really feel it :)

By June you should be more then tri ready. I admire you so much for doing triathlons. I am a very weak swimmer so I thought about maybe trying a duathlon. My neighbor just did his first tri a few weeks ago and he loved it. We have several duathlons in this area so I may try one before I start training for our marathon in October.

Running talk sure makes me want to go for a run :) And thanks, you're right! I shouldn't worry about what others will say about thd dress and my husband would be in total agreement :)
Good luck with the race in March. I am looking at a half marathon for April and then start back with the triathlons in June for the rest of the season. I ran 4 miles this morning at a 9:13 pace. Before surgery I was around a 8:45 min mile, I am not going to push it, I know the speed will come back eventually. I am still sore in the muscles above my belly button and it still feels tight. The skin is still numb too. Keep up the walking..it's the best thing you can do! You will look amazing in your new dress! Don't worry about what other people think..you should wear it anywhere you want to!
Oh you give me hope Shaz! I have a 15K in March that I am hoping I will be able to run; it is in Florida with friends and I have really been looking forward to it. That is a great pace considering everything you have been through. Are you slower now then before surgery? My biggest fear is that I won't be able to get my speed back for this race. I worked out this morning, a half hour on the Arc trainer and 20 minutes of walking on the mill. A friend was there, she was doing 1/2 mile speed intervals and it was killing me to just walk LOL

Congrats your TT as well. Like you I had been wanting this for a long time but never thought I could actually do it. I am very thankful to have a husband who said to me that I had worked so hard to lose weight and get my health back so I deserved this :)