Never Thought I'd Be Looking for Revision After a Primary.... – Northern California

Well, I have an unfortunate experience documented...

Well, I have an unfortunate experience documented over in the rhinoplasty category, so now I need to start gearing up for a revision. I am about 5 months out, so I can start getting a little more active with consults and planning. I will have to wait close to a year from original surgery and I plan to use the next few months very wisely with looking for someone to fix my nose. My nose always had a somewhat wide bump, and then I broke it and thought it was perfectly reasonable to get it fixed.

A summary of my issues- 1. A collapsed side that I had prior to surgery was not addressed in the surgery, and being my nasal bone on that side was narrowed in, this placed emphasis on the collapse. My deviated septum on that side was just about the only thing fixed, and with the new found airflow, it sucks that nostril in upon inspiration. 2. A residual bony hump. It does not even resemble the hump I had to begin with. It creates quite a weird angle and combined with the rest of my nose, just causes me to look strange. 3. The side opposite of my original collapse, the bone was moved too far in and crates a harsh line running the entire length of my nose. This caused a collapse on that side, as well. I had not had my nasal tip or nostrils fooled with, yet it looks very different than it's original appearance and is weak and collapsing in.

All of this has caused quite a bit of mental anguish. I have ok days and then very rough days. I do not feel like "myself" and cannot act like "myself". I do not identify with this new nose and I am really terrified at the thought of going in to fix this and come out with it possibly looking worse. I never ever thought I would find myself in this situation. I went to a double board certified ENT/ Facial cosmetic surgeon based on the recommendation of a family friend who looks great after her surgery with him. I reckon she just had a bump shaved down; my nose was broken for surgery and I question if there was ever really a need.

Anyway, I encourage anyone in Northern California especially who has had a revision they are happy with to please come forward and introduce yourself, and maybe I can gain some hope. I am saddened and distressed beyond belief and I could really use anyone's insight right now about going through this. It can be really lonely trying to handle it all. The hardest part is choosing the next surgeon. I truly do not know who to trust and am scared when I find docs that seem too good to be true, yet many reviews have no photos or just seem generic. The price I put is a general quote and basic starting fee for revision for many doctors in my area.

Growing more concerned....

The only consult I have been on, ear cartilage was recommended to re-structure my nose. However, upon researching, I am hearing such mixed things about this material. My main concerns are hearing it reabsorbs, collapses all over again eventually, warps, can look good at first and then look like a mess ten years down the road. Apart from a scenario I imagine where the bandages come off and my nose looks worse from the get-go, an even more disappointing experience would be to have it look great and I feel like I can move on with my life, only to have it look horrible all over again down the road. That would destroy me. I now am feeling like even if I get a great result, I will never be able to relax or have my nose anxiety relieved because I will just be waiting for it to look ruined again. This is a really horrible feeling right now :(

hi can'tbreath, I'm very sorry to hear that you also don't love your result but i hope you are feeling better. I had my surgery a little over two months ago and by the looks of it i am not happy. I know that its still pretty early but i mean we can tell when things don't look right. my nose is just too small for my liking and the tip is completely different from my original tip. This surgery has caused anxiety and depression i honestly wasn't prepared to feel and look different. i was also referred to my PS from a family friend, and when i went for a consultation he seemed nice and he knew what he was talking about he was also agreeing on giving me a natural result. The sad thing is that he didn't give me something natural and i now feel ugly. The cartilage graft that was placed on my dorsum is starting to become visible and i feel devastated i also feel like i have an over-resected bridge and overall i don't like how this new nose looks on me. Furthermore, i wish he could've just taken my bump off and left my nose alone because i liked the overall shape i had. All in all i hate my new nose and i also never thought i would be looking for a revision i am also from the bay area and i was considering a consultation with Dr. Kim or Dr. Gruber… have you consulted with them or any others please let me know and i hope we can keep in touch and well give each other hope and support, i just feel like i need someone to talk to that understands what I'm going through… hope to hear from you. You can PM me if you want. =)
I can't imagine having a situation like this so first and foremost I applaud you for coming on here and sharing your story. You are a courageous woman and with your bravery I know u can undergo the proper procedure(s) to correct your nose. A nose is right at the center of our face and it can make or break our overall appearance so I can understand your concerns with the entire ordeal. Look, there isn't a thing I can say to make u look like u want to. We put our faith and hard earned assets into these already rich surgeons who sell us a dream. What I liked about my surgeon is he was honest so I knew what to expect and at best it would look better than I expect. The truth is you can take all the pictures in the world and show them examples of what you want but u still won't get that exact result. I can't comment on your nose bc there are no pictures up but i take your word for it, after all, all that matters is what YOU see in the mirror. I know it's not easy to trust after your hopes has been crushed but take it from barbie85 she has done over 3 revisions on her nose and has gone to the top surgeons around the U.S and still isn't happy with her nose. Many of her commenters attack her for having a superficial obsession with herself and I'm sure many can agree (I liked her first results, second was perfect) but it's a psychological thing she is dealing with and although many have told her how beautiful she is, she is still unhappy with what she sees in the mirror. All this is to say your situation may be bad but it's not the worst. does that mean u should suck it up and be happy? No way, but it does help u in feeling not so lonely. U are in my thoughts an prayers. Stay strong
Hey, I hope any other consults you may have been on since your last update have gone well. Keep positive, I know it's a stressful thing to go through!
You are incredibly sweet! Thank you so much for your motivational words. The few consults I've had gave me quite a bit to think about, but also gave me a lot of hope. That, combined with therapy has me better off than when this all started :) Thanks again!
I can't believe your double board certified/ENT surgeon let you down like this. That is really and truly saddening. Getting a rhino is so much drama, and I cannot even begin to imagine how you must feel, hoping to achieve a great result and being let down. Is there anything I can do to help? I have great faith in my own doc at Stanford Hospital, Dr. Most. I only had a primary with him but I can ask my own friends (rhinos are common amongst us hahah) if they know anyone who is a good revisionist. I really, really feel for you. Please feel free to PM me anytime, even if it is just to vent!
Thank you kindly for reading and offering your input. I know you also commented on my original review. I messaged you back. I hope your surgery with Dr Most heals beautifully! I probably would have been better off with him and a few others I can think of. It makes me sick what he did to me, and handing over control to someone else yet again will prove to be the greatest challenge I ever face. I'd love for suggestions from your friends if they have any. Thanks again!
I know how really hard it is to swallow that you did something to yourself that turned out horrible! BUT we had faith in those doctors and they failed us. tragic!
I'm really sorry you're having to experience this. I know what it feels like to be depressed and regret a decision that affected your face. You may not feel like yourself but just remember all that has changed is one thing about your outside appearance, but nothing on the inside. It's hard to make the decision to get a revision once your trust has been destroyed by the first surgeon. But if you really hate the nose you have and you feel like you can't breathe well and functionality is a problem, then you don't have to live with it forever. It's a scary thought thinking the revision could possibly look worse than the first one, but if you meet several times with someone who makes you comfortable and is qualified, and who's simulation pictures you like, chances are it will be an improvement. I hope you know you are not alone in this situation and it can get better from here, it's just a long process.:)
Thank you for your comforting and inspirational words. It is sadly the biggest challenge I have faced in life. I say sadly because it is something so superficial yet it can be so hard to cope because it effects how I feel on the inside. I am trying to move past the regret and self-blame but it is a long road that I must constantly stay on. I have met with one really nice and accredited surgeon and I think he really knows his stuff but I will try to meet with some others as well. Good luck to you, and thank you!
Thats what happened to me. I kind of lost trust in surgeons after my primary because I didt get the results I wished. Have been to several ps and every time I meet one I think he I the one but then I keep looking again.
I feel the same way! Some have conflicting ideas of what can and can't be done and all that it has resulted in is major confusion : /
i hsve the same feelings.. i wish i feel like b4 the surgery again,, optimistic and trust all drs :(
Not sure if this helps you, but I'm looking into possible revision doctors and came across Dr. Vlad Grigoriants. His website is really impressive and so are his reviews.
I can only imagine how you feel thinking about going through a revision. I wish the best for you, and please keep us updated!
Do you know anything about the other Doctors- Rod Rohrich in Dallas and Ronald Gruber in Oakland, San Fransisco. They both think they can improve my nose. Dr. Sam Rizk in New York asli think so. But he is quite expencive. Any other experienced and skilled revision surgeons you know about?
Well, Dr. Cocran is the only surgeon- after looking at my pictures-who told me he didden't feel I was a candidate for revision. He explaned why, but we diddent have a consultation at least.
I can only say he is the expert. I hope, you will make the decision that is best for you.
I can tell you Dr. Cochran in Dallas is excellent. If you can afford the travel I recommend you check him out.
Hello, thanks fir charing your story. I live in Europe and had a primary 20 years ago. I am looking for a revision rhinoplastry in USA. I have conseidered Dr.Sam Rizk in NY. He is very expencive and I don't know if he is much better than the others. I have been recommended to have consultations with Dr. Ronald Gruber in Los Angeles. Just wonder if you can tell me if any of these dr did your surgery. I have been told Rod Rohrich and Dr. Cohran both in Dallas, are very good.
No, none of those people did my primary rhinoplasty. My rhinoplasty was done by an ENT/ facial plastic surgeon that works out of a hospital and does not have just a private plastic surgery practice. He has not made a real name for himself in the field. I would have never come across him if I did not know someone who had gone to him, and she was referred to him by her primary care doctor. Good luck with your search! I am not familiar with Rod Rohrich, but yes I hear Cohcran is great. Keep us all posted!
I know exactly how you feel! I'm from NE PA so I can't recommend anyone from California. I just know that Dr Phillip J Miller of NYC performed miracles with my disastrous previous rhinoplasty! It wasn't just being dissatisfied, it was a horrible chop job that took most of my nose off my face! I was so traumatized! Dr Miller is the most wonderful and very competent surgeon that made me very happy again!
Glad to hear of your success story!
Thank you very much. For so long I thought I was beyond hope! I can't tell you what this means to me to be "normal" again. my nose is just perfect! Dr Miller can perform miracles!
Don't worry. Take your time finding the right surgeon. I just went through revision rhynoplasty. I'm in south florida. I was nervous about it but my nose looks great. This can be frustrating and deppresing. Stay focused on researching the right doctor.
Thank you for the encouragement! It is so hard to look at myself and get through each day, especially because it keeps getting worse. Thanks for reading.