Never Thought I'd Be Looking for Revision After a Primary.... – Northern California

Well, I have an unfortunate experience documented...

Well, I have an unfortunate experience documented over in the rhinoplasty category, so now I need to start gearing up for a revision. I am about 5 months out, so I can start getting a little more active with consults and planning. I will have to wait close to a year from original surgery and I plan to use the next few months very wisely with looking for someone to fix my nose. My nose always had a somewhat wide bump, and then I broke it and thought it was perfectly reasonable to get it fixed.

A summary of my issues- 1. A collapsed side that I had prior to surgery was not addressed in the surgery, and being my nasal bone on that side was narrowed in, this placed emphasis on the collapse. My deviated septum on that side was just about the only thing fixed, and with the new found airflow, it sucks that nostril in upon inspiration. 2. A residual bony hump. It does not even resemble the hump I had to begin with. It creates quite a weird angle and combined with the rest of my nose, just causes me to look strange. 3. The side opposite of my original collapse, the bone was moved too far in and crates a harsh line running the entire length of my nose. This caused a collapse on that side, as well. I had not had my nasal tip or nostrils fooled with, yet it looks very different than it's original appearance and is weak and collapsing in.

All of this has caused quite a bit of mental anguish. I have ok days and then very rough days. I do not feel like "myself" and cannot act like "myself". I do not identify with this new nose and I am really terrified at the thought of going in to fix this and come out with it possibly looking worse. I never ever thought I would find myself in this situation. I went to a double board certified ENT/ Facial cosmetic surgeon based on the recommendation of a family friend who looks great after her surgery with him. I reckon she just had a bump shaved down; my nose was broken for surgery and I question if there was ever really a need.

Anyway, I encourage anyone in Northern California especially who has had a revision they are happy with to please come forward and introduce yourself, and maybe I can gain some hope. I am saddened and distressed beyond belief and I could really use anyone's insight right now about going through this. It can be really lonely trying to handle it all. The hardest part is choosing the next surgeon. I truly do not know who to trust and am scared when I find docs that seem too good to be true, yet many reviews have no photos or just seem generic. The price I put is a general quote and basic starting fee for revision for many doctors in my area.

Hello, thanks fir charing your story. I live in Europe and had a primary 20 years ago. I am looking for a revision rhinoplastry in USA. I have conseidered Dr.Sam Rizk in NY. He is very expencive and I don't know if he is much better than the others. I have been recommended to have consultations with Dr. Ronald Gruber in Los Angeles. Just wonder if you can tell me if any of these dr did your surgery. I have been told Rod Rohrich and Dr. Cohran both in Dallas, are very good.
No, none of those people did my primary rhinoplasty. My rhinoplasty was done by an ENT/ facial plastic surgeon that works out of a hospital and does not have just a private plastic surgery practice. He has not made a real name for himself in the field. I would have never come across him if I did not know someone who had gone to him, and she was referred to him by her primary care doctor. Good luck with your search! I am not familiar with Rod Rohrich, but yes I hear Cohcran is great. Keep us all posted!
I know exactly how you feel! I'm from NE PA so I can't recommend anyone from California. I just know that Dr Phillip J Miller of NYC performed miracles with my disastrous previous rhinoplasty! It wasn't just being dissatisfied, it was a horrible chop job that took most of my nose off my face! I was so traumatized! Dr Miller is the most wonderful and very competent surgeon that made me very happy again!

Growing more concerned....

The only consult I have been on, ear cartilage was recommended to re-structure my nose. However, upon researching, I am hearing such mixed things about this material. My main concerns are hearing it reabsorbs, collapses all over again eventually, warps, can look good at first and then look like a mess ten years down the road. Apart from a scenario I imagine where the bandages come off and my nose looks worse from the get-go, an even more disappointing experience would be to have it look great and I feel like I can move on with my life, only to have it look horrible all over again down the road. That would destroy me. I now am feeling like even if I get a great result, I will never be able to relax or have my nose anxiety relieved because I will just be waiting for it to look ruined again. This is a really horrible feeling right now :(

hi can'tbreath, I'm very sorry to hear that you also don't love your result but i hope you are feeling better. I had my surgery a little over two months ago and by the looks of it i am not happy. I know that its still pretty early but i mean we can tell when things don't look right. my nose is just too small for my liking and the tip is completely different from my original tip. This surgery has caused anxiety and depression i honestly wasn't prepared to feel and look different. i was also referred to my PS from a family friend, and when i went for a consultation he seemed nice and he knew what he was talking about he was also agreeing on giving me a natural result. The sad thing is that he didn't give me something natural and i now feel ugly. The cartilage graft that was placed on my dorsum is starting to become visible and i feel devastated i also feel like i have an over-resected bridge and overall i don't like how this new nose looks on me. Furthermore, i wish he could've just taken my bump off and left my nose alone because i liked the overall shape i had. All in all i hate my new nose and i also never thought i would be looking for a revision i am also from the bay area and i was considering a consultation with Dr. Kim or Dr. Gruber… have you consulted with them or any others please let me know and i hope we can keep in touch and well give each other hope and support, i just feel like i need someone to talk to that understands what I'm going through… hope to hear from you. You can PM me if you want. =)
I can't imagine having a situation like this so first and foremost I applaud you for coming on here and sharing your story. You are a courageous woman and with your bravery I know u can undergo the proper procedure(s) to correct your nose. A nose is right at the center of our face and it can make or break our overall appearance so I can understand your concerns with the entire ordeal. Look, there isn't a thing I can say to make u look like u want to. We put our faith and hard earned assets into these already rich surgeons who sell us a dream. What I liked about my surgeon is he was honest so I knew what to expect and at best it would look better than I expect. The truth is you can take all the pictures in the world and show them examples of what you want but u still won't get that exact result. I can't comment on your nose bc there are no pictures up but i take your word for it, after all, all that matters is what YOU see in the mirror. I know it's not easy to trust after your hopes has been crushed but take it from barbie85 she has done over 3 revisions on her nose and has gone to the top surgeons around the U.S and still isn't happy with her nose. Many of her commenters attack her for having a superficial obsession with herself and I'm sure many can agree (I liked her first results, second was perfect) but it's a psychological thing she is dealing with and although many have told her how beautiful she is, she is still unhappy with what she sees in the mirror. All this is to say your situation may be bad but it's not the worst. does that mean u should suck it up and be happy? No way, but it does help u in feeling not so lonely. U are in my thoughts an prayers. Stay strong
Hey, I hope any other consults you may have been on since your last update have gone well. Keep positive, I know it's a stressful thing to go through!