Horrible Experience - Newmarket, ON

I can't even describe how much I regret my...

I can't even describe how much I regret my decision to have this procedure with Dr. Rival. Horrible result and I really wish I hadn't done it. This has been really hard on me and I really wish I had chosen another Toronto doctor. I had never had anything like this done before, and unfortunately, I didn't know who to choose. I will need a complete revision. I am having a hard time knowing who I should go to for the revision. It has been over a year since the procedure. I guess at this point, things will basically stay as they are, so I am quite disappointed that I look this way now. I think what I dislike the most, is that one side looks really obvious that a mistake was made--it has that classic too-much-cartilage-carved-away look that you would think you don't see anymore since the 80s. Embarrassing.
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Felt rushed. For the money I paid, it would have been good if he spent more time answering my questions.

Thank you for sharing your experience on RealSelf!
Also, I don't know why you gave 1 star for everything. I have never waited more than 10 minutes to see him, the payment process was straightforward, Nadia is the sweetest and most helpful person ever and always returned my calls immediately. Dr. Rival answered all my questions, his bedside manner was always respectful and professional and he never rushed me. Your review confuses me. Dr. Rival is nothing like you say.
Ok, once I read this, I realize I really want to clarify something: I have absolutely no complaints about Nadia! I actually never met her. I think she must be new there since I had my operation. I dealt with a couple of staff but none named Nadia, so I certainly do not want my review to reflect badly on her. The staff I dealt with were quite unhelpful on multiple occasions. I was actually happy when I noticed that now the contact is Nadia and I remember thinking "oh good, I hope this person is an improvement" As I mentioned in my other comment, I am happy you had a good experience. Please realize though, my experience was nothing like yours. There were problems with staff, issues with payment process, and I didn't find that my questions were answered and I did feel rushed. This has been a hard experience and it took me a long time to even get the nerve to write the review. I put thought into it and this is my honest review. I can see why it is a surprise, because lots of people post positive reviews. I really wish I could be one of those people!
It's going on 6 weeks since I had my surgery. Before surgery my nostrils were even and the line between them was straight. Now my nostrils are uneven and the line is slanted. Also, my tip was supposed to be gone and it's not. I'm trying to stay positive and believe that once the swelling goes down then everything will be perfect. I am happy with the front because it is straight and flattened now. I will wait a few more months and see how I look then write another review. I heard Dr. Jamil Ahmad is a good nose surgeon...maybe you can try him for revision surgery. His consultations are free.
missbooby, I am very confused. Just 10 days ago you were saying you were very happy and now you are upset and are looking for someone to do a revision. Which is it? Your reviews don't match. I have a rhino scheduled with Dr. Rival in less than a week. All of these reviews are terrifying me. I chose Dr. Rival because I assumed he was one of the best and wouldn't leave me with a Michael Jackson nose. But now I don't know what to think anymore? I am actually starting to think I should cancel the surgery and just deal with losing the money I paid for it.
7of9, what was your nose like prior to surgery and what were you hoping the surgery would achieve? For example, I read that Dr. Rival is not that good on making already small/smallish noses more refined and perfect. You see I have a rather large nose, I have a dorsal hump but it is not super obvious and huge as in some people. I think my problem is my big, droopy tip and huge nostrils. I chose Dr. Rival because I read he does a better job on big noses. As I already mentioned, I have my rhino with him extremely soon and am very very terrified of all these bad reviews I am reading all of a sudden and so close to my surgery date! That's why I'm interested in whether your nose was big and what you wanted changed or if it was already small. I know for a fact that if he carved away too much, it would look very strange on me because there is no way a small nose would suit my facial features.
I am very happy with my nose and never said I was considering a revision. If you re-read my comment, I was suggesting to 7of9 that SHE contact Dr. Ahmad for a revision because she was unhappy with Dr. Rival. As for me, my main concern was the front of my nose; I wanted it straight and flat and Dr. Rival achieved that. Yes, before my surgery, my nostrils were even and the line between them was straight, but as the days pass and the swelling goes down, they are returning to that. I do wish that he had shortened my tip a bit more, but it's something only I notice so I'm not so concerned with it. Before my surgery, I told Rival that I didn't want my tip very short and he told me that if I kept it long then my nose would look longer. I replied with "OK", assuming that he was going to shorten it like he said in our consultation, but didn't so much. It's no big deal for me though because it's really not so noticeable anyways. After cosmetic surgery people tend to nitpick at everything and in turn drive themselves crazy...it's not worth it. I am very happy with my rhinoplasty and would recommend Dr. Rival 100%, but you need to make yourself VERY CLEAR with him and tell him what you want and don't want. I love my new nose, it looks beautiful and natural and nobody has noticed that I had a rhinoplasty. I think you should continue with your surgery. If you want I can email you some before and after pictures. I always try to focus on the positive side of things because I think if you focus too much on the negative then that's what comes into your life. If you go into the surgery with the belief that you're going to end up with an MJ nose then don't be surprised when you do. Stay positive! Rival is an excellent doctor.
Hi bride2014, My original nose was large. And now it looks a bit too carved away, unfortunately. And there are other issues with it, too. The comment about the nostrils that missbooby mentioned is something I have now, too and I have been contacted by a few others on here who have the same nostril problem. I'm sorry to hear that you are having second thoughts.. No one wants to feel like that going into surgery!
Hi there, I have been searching for a good surgeon to get my angioplasty,and I am somewhat considering Dr. Rival. Could you PLEASE email me your before and after pics :) . Thanks
Hello 7of9. I am so sorry you had to go through that. I was considering Dr. Rival, and now I am second guessing could you please email me some before and after pics please. Greatly appreciate for sharing your experience. Thanks
I'm shocked to read this. I had a rhinoplasty with Dr. Rival a month ago and I'm very happy with the results. My nose looks way better than before. He straightened the top and that's all I really wanted. I can breathe so much better now too. I would definitely recommend him. Dr. Rival tries to make the nose look natural and you should take his advice. If you don't then my advice is to be very clear with what you want because he will do it and then you can't complain about it later. I love my new nose!
I'm happy for you that you had a good result. I really liked how a lot of his noses looked natural and not "done". Unfortunately, my result wasn't that natural.
Hi everyone, I wont be posting any photos because I am just not comfortable with it. I have a hard time just looking at myself, so I hope you can all understand when I am not into the idea of sharing photos. In the future, if things improve (if/when I get a revision) I might post before and after photos at that time. I know photos are really helpful, but I'm just not ready for that. Thank you for your understanding!
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you had your revision and are happy now. If you didn't, read my review and see what Solomon did to me. I'm truly sorry this happened to you too. I feel your pain and frustration.
Can you please send me a before and after picture of your nose? I have a rhinoplasty scheduled in a couple of months with Dr. Rival and now I am really worried.
Can you inbox me a picture? I am planning to go see dr. rival ! thanks
Thank you so much for sharing your opinion about your doctor.

I would love to add your experience to the Rhinoplasty community, but it would be helpful if you could provide some more detail about your experience with your procedure/treatment. I suggest adding before and after photos - optional of course, so that other community members can use your review as a guide throughout their journey.
Ready to add an update now? Click here to add more detail to your review to be part of the Rhinoplasty community today.