Almost 1 year post op :)

I went to Dr. Rubenstein in April for a...

I went to Dr. Rubenstein in April for a consultation. He was very attentive, professional, and I felt that he and I shared realistic expectation of what could be done to improve my nose. At the age of almost 45,I felt that the tip was becoming even more bulbous, and the divot which divided the cartilage was becoming more pronounced as I got older. In addition, I had a wavy bump that I always disliked. We aged that it was important to preserve my Italian heritage features while making subtle adjustments that would fit my face. He and his staff helped me to feel very prepared for the surgery, which was six days ago. I was fairly nervous that morning, but again, the staff made it a great experience. I had: rhinoplasty, septoplasty, and turbinectomy (not sure if that is the correct term). I forgot to mention that during my consultation, when I was telling him my nose concerns, he mentioned that he was surprised that I did not mention that my nose was crooked. My septum was 85 percent deviated!

The surgery took about 4 hours, plus wake up time. He called to check on me that night, and his staff called me two days later to check, the day between being the 4th of July. I had a number that I could call him at anytime, which was very assuring. Other than being stuffed up, pain has been minimal (only took 1 and a quarter pain tablet, then switched to plain Tylenol), swelling and bruising were / are mostly on one side and pretty controlled considering that my nose has been broken! The cast felt very, very heavy and the pressure of that at night, combined with stuffiness, was kind of claustrophobic at times. Also, the cleaning out of my nostrils was mostly done by my very supportive and nurturing partner! The bubbling hydrogen peroxide is pretty nasty as is flooding my nose with saline - but we were really good about keeping on top of the after care, and I am sure it helped minimize pain. Right now I feel pretty good :)

It just took a few minutes to pop the cast off this morning, and he showed me how to tape it at night, which I will be doing for six weeks. My nose is happy to be free from under that cast and out in the air! It is kind f hard to tell what it will look like right now - it's pinched on the sides from the cast and the tip is quite swollen. I can see that the hump is gone, though, and that it is straight. So I am looking forward, over the next few months, to see my nose settle into what looks like a much improved and feminine shape. I really am glad that I finally was able to take this step...I have been pretty much cringing at my profile for 20 years.

8 days after surgery and 2 days with the cast off...

8 days after surgery and 2 days with the cast off - my nose continues to come back to life as far as numbness. It it still very delicate to touch. Also, it is very greasy - I made a gentle toner of brewed organic chamomile and non - alcoholic witch hazel, cooled it in the fridge, and have been applying the mixture carefully. Very soothing and effective!

15 days post - op...loving my profile but the...

15 days post - op...loving my profile but the front view shows that I am more swollen on one side. I am hoping that this will settle down. Also hoping that my smile returns to normal soon!

I called my PS to make sure that I should not be...

I called my PS to make sure that I should not be worried that my nose looks crooked...they said that asymmetrical swelling is normal. I am hoping that is settles soon! Smile is staring to return, but my nose is still stiff and delicate to touch.

Baseball - style hats and pulling my hair back...

Baseball - style hats and pulling my hair back from my face are a welcome novelty! Amazing all the things that I have avoided because I would not want to draw attention to my nose profile!
I wish I had the resources to do this decades ago... and I am grateful that I was able to do it now.

10 months post op

I continue to love my nose as it settles into its new shape - lots of refining has happened over the last few months. The tip and underside still felt numb and hard, and during my last follow up Dr. R gave me two shots of Cortisone in the nose tip, with another follow up in 8 weeks. Two days after the Cotisone shot, I can feel my nose tip is less rigid and I can feel it more. The shots do not hurt :)
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

I am really impressed with Dr. Rubenstein and his staff. Having elective surgery is a big investment in money and emotions, and since I am almost 45 and had problems with anesthesia in the past, I would not have gone forward with this unless I was completely confident in his skill and judgement. He is very thorough in answering concerns and I appreciate how he and I had the same realistic and natural vision for my nose. I chose Dr. Rubenstein after researching many area physicians; he is about 45 minutes away from me and he has a surgical suite in house, so I would not have to be in a hospital. He practice is facial survey (although I believe he has another doctor in house for body reshaping), so I felt additionally confident that all of his practice and experience was facial.

Great to read your story again, and I am pleased you are still happy and that refinement has taken place since your last post. Congrats!
Glad to hear things are better... & funny about the hat, I have always worn hats my whole life especially hats with big brims. I genuinely like them but part of it is to take attention away from my nose. As if people wouldn't notice!
Looking forward to getting it all over with!
That reminds me of the Wizard of Oz..."pay no attention to the nose under the hat..." I am sure no one noticed our noses, anyway, but it is sure nice to like your profile. Are you going in the morning on Monday?
Hi how are you doing? It said you updated but I didnt see anything posted. I am having surgery on monday..
Hey! I was going to upload a new pic but I didn't do it right. I am doing well - now putting vaseline in my nose (per doctor's instructions) to keep things protected. The swelling on one side that was making me freak a little because it makes my nose look crooked is sort of settling down. I know it's only been 3 weeks :)
My profile is awesome though! I bought a baseball style hat which with my previous nose I would never do - long nose plus long brim equals no-no.
How are you doing? I am excited for you and wishing you well.
Wow. You looked good before but really lovely now. Are you pleased? Hope my doc does as good a job.
Thank you...I am pleased! I am sure yours will be wonderful - it's coming up soon, yes?
You look awesome! I liked your idea of the chamomile and witch hazel toner, I may give that a try after my surgery.

It is cute! And pretty. And lots of other positive adjectives. You look great!

Do you know how long it takes to be able to smile again? I can manage an odd little smirk but that's about it. Thanks for any info :)
Congratulations on a successful rhinoplasty! I think it took me about 2 - 3 months before I could fully smile again. I look different now when I smile :( but I'm sure if I was to cover up my nose, my smile would be the same as it was pre-op. You look great!
Oh, thanks for the info! I don't want to go back to work in the fall and not be able to smile at my students..."cute nose, but what a grump!" :)
I love it - it looks so beautiful. Yours is similar to how I want mine. I like how your doctor acknowlegded how important heritage is in a face.
Thanks! My partner looked at me today, cocked his head and said, your nose is really cute. I have never been told that I have a cute nose! My Italian nose is now cute :)
Thank you! It is looking better by the day - minor bruising left. My doctor did a great job.
Your nose looks fabulous!!! Congrats!
I looked for some pics and it is amazing how few profile pics I have :). Uploading a few before and immediately after - even though swollen and a little 'piggy' right now, I like my nose so much more. My face is still swollen, especially my lower face. I kind of have a chipmunk thing going on.

Hooray for not cringing at your profile! We'd love to see your photos if you feel comfortable sharing. Please keep us posted on how you continue to heal.